1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project : Deuce

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Tech-Daddy, 24 Feb 2008.

1. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

More please.. Looks nice...

2. nickhelton

nickhelton What's a Dremel?

omg this is simply amazing. i love the window idea with the flames runnin up the side

3. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

It's coming, I promise.
    :)
    Going to go out tonight and try one more experiment on the flames. Painted the panel earlier today, should be good and ready for some taping and airbrush work tonight...

4. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

dual *core* cpu? that's cheating. for a project called deuce i expect to see dual cpu :D

5. Tech-Daddy

Trust me... I thought about that... but I have this thing, it's called a "budget"... awkward concept that it is... and that would most certainly blow it! ;)

Good evening everyone... just got myself settled after a weekend meeting with the AustinModders (www.austinmodders.com), great to see all you guys again down there!

While down there, one of the big pieces of this mod came to me.... to say that I am happy would be a severe understatement!

This is 1/4" transparent blue acrylic... that I had lasered to be the rad stand.
    This shot is simply to give you a little depth on the color... it really is striking!

[​IMG]
    These are pieces that were the centers of flame licks.

The whole cut:
    [​IMG]

And several more shots after I got home:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have 98% of these flames cut. Due to the thickness of the material, and the density, some of the laser cuts did not make it all the way through. They are only a few places, but due to the delicate and intricate nature of this cut, it is absolutely essential that I have all of the cuts completed and not hanging as I pull the negative parts of the cut out. I have a plan where I will use an intricate engraver bit on my flexi-shaft Craftsman rotary tool, and use that to complete the cut from the back side of the piece. That way, if I do have a minor scratch, it will not be on the surface of the acrylic.

I have to take this moment to publically thank the person who cut this for me. A good friend that chooses to remain confidential, but they spent almost a full 10 hours cutting this. Only after the cutting had started, did we realize that the density of the material combined with the power of the laser... was going to lead to a Looooong manufacture time. *tips hat* Those that know this person, please quietly nod your head, but do not give his identity away.

After I get both frames removed, my next "impossible* task is to get it bent to the form I want without damaging it... ;) something that many are skeptical I can do! Might even be "crazy" for trying... but that is what I am. I have 2 of these to try and make work. if they do not work, then I have to find another way to execute the vision! ;) Wish me luck!

I'll post up pics of the rad stands after I have them removed.
    :D

6. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

I'm usually not all for flame jobs, but I am actually a little excited about this mod! I love the colors man, really nice. Are you planning on any chrome in there?

7. Tech-Daddy

Mayyyyyybeeee.....
    ;)

8. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Wow those laser cut flames look awesome. Your friend was quite nice to let you use his laser cutter.

9. Sheldog23

Sheldog23 What's a Dremel?

Nice work Tech! Looking forward to seeing how the bending goes. I know that can be difficult at that thickness but man with that complexity it's gonna be fun.

10. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Amazing work so far. I'm watching it. Keep it up!

11. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

So what are you doing with all the spare little flame bits?
    They look amazing, and i think some people may be interested in them ;)

12. hotton

hotton What's a Dremel?

nice work,i like the painting:)

13. skullen

skullen Minimodder

Very nice :thumb:

14. rambo

rambo What's a Dremel?

it looks like a realy nice build is coming together :thumb: want to see it the finished product. keep up the good work

15. Tech-Daddy

Thank you everyone!
    *finally* had both time and weather!

Acrylic is not something I like to muck with when it is pretty cold... I feel like it makes it more brittle. Might be just me, but if I am going to be working with my only 2 copies of my rad stand, I'm taking every precaution, real or likewise... that could make the flames unexpectedly snap....

Well, this last week was busy, then I got clipped with a cold, and that yanked the batteries for about 3 days. Feeling a bit better, the weather warmed up... so I put in a few hours in the garage!

Using a combination of bits, I slowly and carefully worked my way around the acrylic, sometimes using a fine tipped engraving bit, other times using a reinforced wheel... and I started making progress"
    [​IMG]

I had to put a light underneath the acrylic to make out the cuts that were completely through, and then focus on the areas that were still hung.
    [​IMG]

Some of the chunks coming off...
    [​IMG]

Here you can see how I was using the light to path the cuts:
    [​IMG]

Ohhhhh daaaaamn.... almost there!!!
    [​IMG]

3 hours later, the 1st one if free!!!!
    [​IMG]

No broken flames, everything successfully released! I have a bit of careful filing and some polishing to do, but otherwise... HELL YEAH!!!!!

now.. add into this wonderful weekend of success, my wife opted to give me my birthday presents early (Later this month on the 21st) and she landed a 22" wide screen LCD on my lap today! Also got me an MP3 player so that I can listen to tunez while I work out! (I have *got* to get into better shape!)

So.... I'm ecstatic this weekend!

16. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Outstanding work man. Those flames look *hot*... :hehe:

17. nickhelton

nickhelton What's a Dremel?

dangggg. i cant wait till its done!
    sweet job man

18. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Holy crap dude. That is some great work.

Not to get too off topic but what brand are your guns? I have to paint my car where the previous owner really screwed things up. So I'm doing sort of a stripe design where the front end is hot rod black and cuts down to the side skirts and wraps around the back. (covering all of the repaired areas) So I need to get a gun or too but this is the only time I will ever be painting. I heard the Harbor frieght guns are actually very decent. Any experience with these? I was thinking two guns. One for paint and one for primer. They are both HLPV guns. Or since I am only painting one car can I get away with having one gun and swaping tips?

Any info is appreciated.

Other questions.
    What did you pay for the lazer cutting. That is freaking hot.

How's the paint in real life? Are you getting any runs?

19. misterkholl

misterkholl modMode:on

Hi TD!!! really Awesome!!!!! loved the paint job! great job on plexi cut!!!! congrats!! can't wait do see more!!

20. alonso_bistro

alonso_bistro I'm just looking

agree with this damned Kholl !! :D
    Nice work

Tags: