1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress G5 Sacrilege update Jun. 15th a tale of two doors

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by jhanlon303, 14 Feb 2008.

1. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

mmmm ^^ that sound good :) some pict for me :) yaayks :) i Can't wait for that...

@ Doncorleone :) - this was great from the beginning - Big start with 3 cases and promisse of "hardcore" magical puff that there will be only one case :).

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

"In the end, there can be only one."
    John

3. hanabusa

hanabusa What's a Dremel?

4. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

John you better start thinking of good name for that baby :) for example ... "Chosen to be one" or better "Merged One"... just wanted to help :)
    HeX...

5. jhanlon303

I have this book marked. I enjoyed watching. It was a good place for ideas for me.
    John

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

There's a couple of nice g5 cubes on that site.

7. jhanlon303

3 corners and a picture for Hexen

I have squared up 3 of the corner pieces of the inner steel liner. Here's a pic of the three corners being mocked up:
    [​IMG]
    Looks ok from the outside. What is taking the time is planning the cuts to save as much useful parts as I can. From the back looking through towards the front:
    [​IMG]
    It probably doesn't show at this small resolution but in the middle is one of the original screws that Apple uses to hold the optical and HDD tray. I need to save this for a new tray for the optical. The piece that was cut out of the middle of this liner still has a couple of the screws left. I plan to use this after some trimming on the back side to help support the optical try:
    [​IMG]

I picked up an assortment of epoxy glues at the store today and will experiment with which seems to hold better:
    [​IMG]

2 are grey metal colour and one is clear they say.

Oh! Before I leave I promised a shot for Hexen:
    [​IMG]

Let's see. Full size HDD at the bottom, power supply in the middle and full size optical at the top. What have I forgotten? The motherboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
    Now you can see why I'm going half height on the optical and mini-itx with SSDD for the motherboard. I working on the fourth corner tonight and playing the epoxy weld game.
    John

8. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

:lol:
    You borrowed your wife's nuts to play with the computer..

Cracked me up..

Keep at it.. loving the progress.

9. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

John ... are you kidding ? or maybe I must be more trustfull :> You can also put smaller HDD, but there will be still not a lot of space. Thank god (apple ?? no way that i will say about them a good word :D so thank god)that there are soooooo many hole.
    For few i think this is only next cube... but i've got to say that this could be one of motm contestants! why? Such a butchery, such a small product there will be at the end of process, so cute (i think i said girlish style word, :duh: DoHh i need more beer so)... But I love when people put in apples cases a standard motherboard, instal windows xp or even better LinuX and are happy of doing it! If... you've got my vote!

P.s. John ... why you are using glue? you said that you have few friends with good skills in alu welding. IF you will put on it pain that's ok, but think of polishing it(oh think i'm a fetish :naughty: of polished aluminum ) or anodizing it. Sorry if i missed a part with colour scheme of your project.

BTW my JAW is STILL on THE floor!

10. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

Damn you, damn you to hell.... i was looking to chopping a g5 to pieces and doing something like this, though yours is slightly smaller then what i would of gone for.

Just out of curiosity what you putting in this small case, had a quick scan through and didnt spot it said anywhere.

11. jhanlon303

Mini-itx, probably the M1000 I have on hand, small laptop drive or a 4 GB SSHD with half height DVD and Linux (Puppy or Damn Small Linux). It's just for an mp3 and media server for my nightstand.

John

12. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

Ah right. Have you taken a look at Project Rundfunker by any chance? They dont a nice little mp3 pc over wifi with a mini-itx system.

Its actually not that much smaller then a second design ive got that might be a sister machine for my Little rascal project. Ill be sneaking those designs out when i update my project log this week(end)

13. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Hell, John...you could just drop in your alarm clock too since it's going on the nightstand! :hehe:

14. jhanlon303

Actually not a bad thought. The M1000 is fanless so I could leave it running 24/7 and have a cron job for Linux to wake to an mp3. Nice idea.:rock:
    John

15. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

LOL. Glad I could help. :hehe:

16. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

nice idea ! I like it.
    you should use a pico-psu, then you would have alot more room in it for the rest of the components.

17. jhanlon303

The M1000 I have has a Pico and the wall brick, just a small 12V jack where the original Apple power cord plug goes. A little Apple mesh square and a new hole for the 12V and we are fine.
    If it fusses with me about space too much, I'll grab my wife's nano-itx board I bought for a project for her. Even smaller.
    John

18. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

19. jhanlon303

Very nice. Almost the same size as mine. Mine is 210mm x 210mm x 210mm without the handles and feet things. I run Linux, maybe I can find a small wireless PCI card instead of the USB one I'm using. Internet radio alarm clock that works anywhere on my home wireless network. Good idea.
    Thanks for the link.

John

20. jhanlon303

Quick one

I took the cube to work today and it sat on my desk for me to stare at. After work I took it to my machine shop friends. They were impressed that it was all done by hand. Anyway, the said not to worry about welding it and just use the J. B. Weld and get it as smooth as possible. Drill the holes I want and bring it back. They have a "cool" powder coating that goes on at room temperature and can be dried in their paint booth! SO ...
    I grabbed a large piece of 3mm plexi from the stash bin and am cutting out a wrap around mock up. I figure 3mm plexi is probably as stiff as 2mm aluminum and besides I had it on hand.

Measured 8" wide and 32" long. 4 times around an 8 inch cube. What I'll do is whip out the heat gun or the /cough iron /cough and get to it.
    Couple of pics to show I haven't died yet.
    Taped up plexi
    [​IMG]

Clamped down for cutting:
    [​IMG]

Let's make some mess!
    John

Tags: