1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illegal downloaders 'face UK ban'- VM to Pilot Scheme

Discussion in 'Serious' started by steveo_mcg, 12 Feb 2008.

1. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the topic it self is a bag full of furious cats.....

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Cut off their goolies. :dremel:

KISS. :thumb:

These are bad people, they are stealing my internets. :nono:

3. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    ^^^Poster child for a freeloader^^^

For him its totally irrelevant that paying customers supported the movies and games he freeloaded, of course he might give the excuse that the movies and games are not that good so the content creators didnt deserve his particular financial contribution, or some other justification.

UK to ISPs: Crack down on piracy by April 2009... or else

The UK has been considering a plan that would force Internet service providers to "cooperate" with content owners to curtail illegal file-swapping, and a new document released today by the UK government lays out the timeline for this plan. If ISPs don't voluntarily implement some sort of antipiracy system by April 2009, the government will introduce its own legislation to make them do so.

Either ISPs tackle the problem through self-regulation or the government forces them to.

PS:
    Goolies = balls?

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

and at the same time loose lots of customers..... and taxes... yeah right.....

5. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Are you refering to ISPs? Because I am not sure if they wouldnt just love to quick the heavy users out.
    Are you refering to the State? If paying costumers increase their numbers, there will be more taxes collected.

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i don't think its going to only the heavy users.... think about it... if everyone that downloads something will get slapped and almost everyone i know downloads something sporadically... if all of them got banned of the system.... or got a slap in the hands, they most certainly, as i would, lower their internet speeds and pay less.... i could be using 1/8 of the speed i have, it is enough for everyday use, and pay 1/3 of what i am paying now, i would see a decrease in profits and in taxes collected.... plus a crowd of very pissed off people, and the current party loosing the next elections....

who says that paying customers would increase? i mean, look at your (and my) country, do you sincerely think that paying customers would increase if they had no way to pirate and/or paid large fines? peoples money is not elastic, contrary to what PM Socrates may think..... i have asked my self the same question "would i buy more media if i had no way to pirate?" and the answer is "no", in reality it would be more likely that i would buy less media than the media i buy now..... "why?"... exposure to pirated media converts you into a kind of a "fan", on that topic there are some bands that grew popular because of piracy..... "how would you get your fix?"..... well... do what i usually do, wait until it comes on tv or some friend has the dvd for it and invites me to see it.... hear the music on the radio or on mtv.... all free things on my side.

by the way, avoid calling "pirates" as "freeloaders", a pirate freeloads, but a freeloader does not always pirate.... think about the "lending a friend an album" analogy, the friend is freeloading....... call things by their names.... "pirates" are "pirates", "thieves" are "thieves", "freeloaders" are "freeloaders", they all cause damage in their own way and the type of damage they make may be good for some part of the industry, and the damage each does is different from each other ....

7. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    It would affect all users but have a feeling ISPs would enjoy the heavy users curb, even if some do lower their broadband contract.
    I have no doubt about paying customers numbers increasing, if not in this entertainment industry then in another.
    The time spent playing/listening/watching/reading freeloaded material would have to be filled with either the same activity, this time paid for, or with any other good/service/activity paid or not.
    In the end a net positive effect to the economy.
    For the purpose of this discussion, a P2P freeloader doesnt profit from its copyright infraction activities. A pirate profits.
    Sure, there are other kinds of freeloading but they dont apply in this thread topic.

8. Doyleyboy

Doyleyboy What's a Dremel?

in tv, to an extent its a matter of availability, i live in the uk and pay for sky. but why should i wait 5+ months for something that i can get now. as ill be getting it at some point anyway

9. Major

Major Guest

Yes we are scum, everyone who downloads films and music for free are scum, there you go, I've just made your e-penis bigger for you, better get some new e-trousers.

Happy?

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

impar, lets wait and see.... the moment some country makes it impossible to pirate then we will see the effects of it... until then lets consider this a draw..... the human element makes things very random ;)

11. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    And, when its is broadcasted in TV, do you watch it? If you dont, a potential perverse effect is that TVs might get the series even later if audience shares drop.
    Ok.
    Meanwhile two digital age advancements continue to improve:
    - Valve mulls music, video downloads for Steam
    - Amie Street's pricing, social features attract indie artists

12. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Conversly if shows were shown the same time all over the world there would be no need to torrent tv from other regions. Look a Lost in the UK Sky TV at the moment has it one week behind the states so most people I know, my self included, are just watching it even more so was Battle Star it was broadcast first in the UK and as such wasn't torrent from Britain and thus generating advertising revenue.
    On the other hand were about a year behind CSI so I torrent it and watch it at my leisure then if i'm flicking the channels looking for something to watch i might just watch the CSI i've seen since I know it was a good one or i might keep on flicking. In that situation only good quality TV still generates ad revenue rubbish is still ignored which is reflected quite well in many of the arguments people make for the try before you buy method of listening to music.
    Point is if the business model is broken fix it don't whine about it, sue about it then a decade later make half hearted attempts at updating it. Its too late the audience has made there own mind up how they want to sample the product and the system being set up (too late) are not part of that.

13. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

My thoughts exactly...

14. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

QFT! :)

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

impar, they are not evolving fast enough.... IMHO, they are 5 years behind....

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Full circle to post #133.

17. steveo_mcg

However you say keep it as it is, copyright law wise the system will adapt and in the mean time "free loaders" should be sued and sent to prison. Others, my self included, say that the system is broken and the business model is broken they have taken too long the opportunity is lost so much more serious reform is needed and continually suing people isn't the answer now or in the future.

18. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

substitute "free loaders" and "people" with "clients", because really, if they sent everyone that downloaded anything to jail or finned them to hell they would loose lots of clients, you would have like 1/2 of the population in jail..... or in deep economical problems.... IMHO

19. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    That would be the advantage of switching from the current -ineffective- punishment system to a system where the copyright holders scan the web to find P2P freeloaders and warn ISPs to kick off the abusers. Seems a better system than putting police institutions and courts after the freeloaders, or the flat rate tax rumoured every couple of months.

20. steveo_mcg

Its not the job of the ISP to police the web, its defiantly not the job of copy write holders, its the job of another agency who have had hundreds of years of law enforcement experience who could that be oh yeah its the bloody police! Civilians have no business to enforce government policy (laws) or even what is considered in general right and wrong, what one would consider acceptable another would not for example gaming in Germany your not permitted to show blood here in the UK you'd be disappointed if you couldn't glib some one. Another example which i don't have time to source was a voluntary organisation scouring the web for kiddy pron which when reported BT could block no one else see the problem with this.