1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ubuntu 8.04 Alpha 5 released

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Feb 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

AITO Radeon?

Never heard of them!

I might give this a try, I think!

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

From the Old MacDonald school of hardware. They use an enhanced AEGP for better EI-EI-IO.

Alternatively: whoops.

4. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Mmm, sounds good. Going to try this now...

5. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Aito is Finnish for "real/authentic" apparently.

Real Radeon graphics, as opposed to those fake ones.

Looks like some decent upgrades with this release though.

6. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cool, I think I'll be upgrading when this one comes out.

7. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

i think i will stick with my slackware box. Never really cared for Ubuntu. but then again to each his own

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this looks very interesting.....

9. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

The Wubi integration is a nice touch to let people trial a system, it would be great if they could then convert that installation into a "full-fat" partitioned ubuntu if they decided to make the change at a later date. And the changes to the default app's are all welcome.

10. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

so may as well just do a normal duel-boot

11. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Good good, not long to wait before I can get my mits on something new to try and hopefully not break like my current install. I don't know why they thought that dual screen stuff had been fixed in the current version - it has just completely killed all my graphics drivers!

12. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

as this one is an LTS one it should work out of box this time

the current one was an bit off an mess as if the livecd installer was online when you tryed to install it (or even worse when upgrading) it would try and download an 9mb file but due to the mirrors been overwhelmed the install would stall due to time out and there is No recovery so if it was an upgrade you just trashed you ubuntu setup if it was fresh it just not boot up

the fix for that was make sure the cable was unplugged but that made an second problem (if your new to ubuntu that is) all repositories would be turned off, so thay could not get Any updates or security updates or use add/remove programs (all you have to do is just enable them)

last problem was it was bundled with some sort of Beta 3d stuff that was silly turnd on by default so you most likey ened up with console only or randome crashes or lock ups (and to turn it off the manager was Not installed)

you just better off useing 7.04 for now for new users (give 7.10 an miss as it give you more problems than it needs to for first time users) or wait for 8.04 as that is an LTS rel so it Has to be right from the start if not thay make an new disk (7.04.1 for e.g.) as it has to be supported for an longer time

dual booting with linux pass times has resulted it the disk been wiped so id realy never have my windows disks even connected when an linux boot is around just in case it wants to mess with the hdd CHS settings or do something very bad like del the partition

13. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

So Linux is almost ready for the masses... Now we just need DX10 porting to the platform.. I need more game than it gives atm..

14. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

proper DX9 support is probably higher up the list :p

15. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

hmm I don't like ubuntu anymore everything rarley works how I want it so I mayaswell start from a very basic install like debian floppies and build up a system how I want it as it saves removing things already there. But I used to use ubuntu and one of my servers still does and I know why people like it.

16. Kamakazie!

Kamakazie! What's a Dremel?

Yeah it is not the best distro for people that know what they want and how to tinker really. I like it because i can't be bothered with all that. The less i have to do, the better. 7.10 was a huge improvement for me simply because it installed the restricted graphics module by default meaning i didn't have to go through the alternative convoluted process just to get my card working. These new improvement look even better and it is great to hear about the new sound backend they are gonna use. Almost all of my Ubuntu problems have stemmed from sound issues due to using digital output to an AV Receiver.

17. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

7.04 has the same button to install restricted drivers, maybe only nvidia though? i dunno

Tags: Add Tags