1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress G5 Sacrilege update Jun. 15th a tale of two doors

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by jhanlon303, 14 Feb 2008.

1. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Eh!? :confused: 'Cool' powdercoating? Hm, interesting. I'm guessing they're using IR spot curing units or something. Expensive! I look forward to seeing it coated, John. You decide on what color you want it sprayed?

2. projectW

projectW What's a Dremel?

heheh i heard the cough while i was at work :p.. i really learned a lot in modding and from great folks here.. the recent activity i made was trying to break my girlfriends hair dryer and use its spring/coil something to make a home made heat strip (i got interested :D)..

3. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I'm still leaning toward the aluminum Apple look but the gun metal gray is almost the same color as the apple on the G5 door.
    John

4. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Damn you, are moving fast with this! :D :thumb:

Before you go ahead with the JB Weld please take a look at what happened to me when i tried using epoxy by itself on my G5 (http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=125218&pp=20&highlight=apple&page=4), posts 65 and 66. The epoxy i used just wasnt enough especially as i was drilling through the holes to keep the looks of the case. I had to use a second layer of aluminium sheet behind the case sheets to strengthen the bond between them and then drill through this as well.

I wouldnt want you to go through the same feelings of frustration and heartache after all the work you have put in so far.

Hope that helps,

Cyp.

5. jhanlon303

That's where I got the idea to use the extra mesh behind the joint!:thumb: Thanks for reminding me of your efforts. Look at some of the latest pics and you can see the extra mesh, especially in the back. These will be cut to about 4 or 6 rows tall and as wide as I need. Bolt it down tight, use the J. B. and grind off the hold down bolts and smooth everything, the re-drill all the 3mm holes. Your idea just using my mesh extras. That should take up a couple spare hours:sigh:
    John

6. projectW

projectW What's a Dremel?

Yeah, i feel for that one..it made me sad when i was reading it :( but alas it's a good thing your mum taught you not to give up :clap:

Hopefully john's mod and approach with this one will be successfull! :) Considering it will be less heavier now, and also for the experts' advice to him not to worry

7. E.E.L. Ambiense

Ooohh...gun-metal. Nice. I have an unopened container of a really dark gun-metal that looks beautiful. I was planning on shooting a future tower with it. Looks even better with a wet-gloss over it.

8. jhanlon303

:eeek:"My God it's full of stars!":eeek:
    I just noticed the stars. Thanks for the confidence.
    John

9. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

I hadnt noticed the extra mesh. :)

Cant wait to see it painted. :thumb:

10. jhanlon303

Sacrilege I A diversion while I work

I'm off making noise and being productive but to keep you entertained I have a couple pictures to show you:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was Sacrilege I.
    John

11. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

I've always wanted to do that...

12. E.E.L. Ambiense

LOL. The one made into a fishtank was my absolute fav though!

13. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

HEATHEN, that is wrong!
    lol jk
    I love the ITX in the cut up G5 case, great idea.

14. jhanlon303

No one can say Apple doesn't make pretty!:D
    G5, PowerMac, sweet looks, but .....
    To me it's like Levi's jeans, just paying for the name.
    John

15. jhanlon303

Quick update and a link

I was having a bad day with my emphysema and didn't get much done.
    One of my young friends did send me this link:

http://metku.net/index.html?path=mods/shinyshuttle/index_eng

We were talking about my other G5 cases and they said to check this out. I'm sorry if you folks have seen this before but it blew me away. Imagine a whole G5 treated like this:jawdrop: I have to send this to mnpctech!
    John

16. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

yeappp ... i've seen it and at MNPCTECH ther was very good tutorial about paint polishing to the mirror look. My jaw dropped to the floor when i first saw it. Oh John... i have read about your illnes on wikipedia... :/ i hope that it's not taking all strength from you... Mod can wait so we can also wait for it... but you have to rest a bit... NO MORE CIGARETS AROUND you !! no no no !

17. jhanlon303

Too late my friend. COPD with emphysema due to 30 years heavy exposure to asbestos. Industrial hazard. 2nd generation industrial insulator. I was born exposed to asbestos. Lost my Father, Mother, Uncles, Aunts, Cousins all to asbestosis and mesothelioma. Oldest surviving member of my union in Iowa. I am not yet on supplemental oxygen but my next checkup is is April. Now I am having fun with sharing my modding and feeling good about me for the first time in a long while.
    Sorry for the unload, bad day breathing.
    John

18. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

John it's very sad what you have written, but i hope that there won;t be more days like this. i'm sorry to hear that :/ It's good that you're sharing with us your work. It is hell'a good part of work and worth 5 stars! And I think we all enjoy a lot (me for sure!!!) your every update!

19. Tolk

Tolk Keep it simple, build it incredible

Man... you just threw me for a loop with this one.. My ex-finance passed away from COPD at age 21, very young for that particular disease from what i understand.

All i have to say is thank you for sharing your talents with us...
    Can't wait to see this thing complete, so take it easy...
    -Tolk

20. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Take the time you need, John. My dad has advanced emphysema and he is at the stage where talking on the phone gets him out of breath. It's a horrible disease, whether from smoking, asbestos exposure or whatever. You're doing wonderful work on your mods. We'll all be here and rooting for your next update, whenever you're able.

Tags: