1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Earth tremor in the UK

Discussion in 'General' started by Ninja_182, 27 Feb 2008.

1. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I was asleep and thought the mrs was having a fit or something, then the noise woke us both up. Asking each other, 'Wtf was that?' I checked the dog was okay downstairs and looked outside to see if anything was up (for example, a fireball flying skyward from the local petrol station). After opening a window and hearing loads of alarms going off, but not seeing anything I then went back to bed, saying it must have been an earthquake. It didn't half make things rattle and clank about though! Must have lasted about 10 seconds of continuous rumbling.

The last one I felt, I was sat at me pooter and the monitor shook. It wasn't anywhere near as loud as last nights though. That was quite noisy.

2. Khensu

Khensu likes to touch your special places

Goddamnit, what is it with you Brits and earthquakes? The earth shakes. Pieces of your roof fall off. Get over it. It's like Folkestone 2007 "omg I could have died", yeah well- you didn't. Maybe you/we should get a health & safety law regulating nature or something. I do wonder who to sue for damages about that though.

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Wait one moment, no-ones saying "omg I could have died", that'd be like crying every time you crossed the road. This is more an "Omg, I can't believe we had an Earthquake! It spilled my late night cup of tea"

4. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Hah! My thoughts exactly. I was just dropping off and woke up fully when I heard the wardrobe doors banging together. Wife **** herself: "What's that?"

"Only an earth tremor... zzzzzz"

It was that exciting in Northwich.

I felt the 1984 quake (N Wales) and it was pretty similar, but not as pronounced.

Lots of noise about nothing IMO.

Andy

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I was happily asleep thinking about cows.

6. mushky

mushky gimme snails

It's a bit of excitement if you aren't used to it. My monitor nearly fell off my desk! Daughter slept right through it and the misses woke up screaming :D

7. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

[​IMG]

Felt it aswel, woke up, thought it was rather weird and went back to sleep, i felt the last one from a few years ago, which i was closer to the epicentre, would love to see what that would have felt like!

8. Slink

Slink B7

haha i thought there was someone under bed cos i didn't hear a noise,. the just started moving though so i was up all night paranoid someone was under there messing me about

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Have you seen how much the news is sensationalising it? There are people saying that :rolleyes:

I got worken up and the first thing I did was pegged it downstairs to check on the TV. It actually came with hardware to secure it in the event of an earthquake, but since when do we get earthquakes? :lol:

Not at all what I would have expected a tremor to feel like, and sooo noisy.

10. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Please, like anyone of consequence actually cares about what the tabloids say anymore (and I'm perilously close to including the BBC in that these days.).

Last edited: 27 Feb 2008
  11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7266136.stm

This will sway you to throw the BBC in the pot
    If they're going to quote people, they should really make sure they're not complete morons

12. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

I love this quote:
    Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a hole in the ceiling indicate that there may be something wrong with your roof?

And this one:
    If I were Tom Edwards now, I'd be looking for a dark hole to hide in to escape all the piss takers!

Honestly! One injury and minor structural damage is all that has happened. The way the media are reporting it, you would have thought that Krakatoa had erupted in Lincolnshire, not a minor (on the Earth's scale) earthquake. Talk about hype! :rolleyes:

Andy

13. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

[OT] Welcome to the forums [/OT]

I got nothing quake-wise down here in South Wales.

Joe

14. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

QFT, everyone in my eng class was hysterically hyperventilating over it for a good 10 mins. It'll probably be in 2 weeks of papers.
    But that's the midlands, you see. This is the biggest event in twenty years for us.
    Btw, I'm near grimsby, it was...interesting here. I know a few people in Market Rasen (epicentre). Can't believe you felt it in birmingham & notts >>

15. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

I slept through it :sigh:

16. boiled_elephant

Disparaging comments about the BBC thirded.

...profound. At least it talks to the masses.

17. boiled_elephant

Mmmmm. Burgers.

18. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

quickly now, jump overboard, your island is sinking!!!!! :p

19. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Radio 1 just announced that there might be more earthquakes to come in the future due to..... GLOBAL WARMING! :eeek:

:wallbash:

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

LOL