1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Negative Space - May 27 - Side Panels

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by B[x], 18 Oct 2007.

1. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

This is the way to make an aluminum chassis! I'm absolutely loving those corners and the corner pieces as well.

I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for this one.

Darkened

2. cheezeit

cheezeit What's a Dremel?

Wow, that is some awesome craftsmanship! The Chassis looks awesome, great use of your resources and skills.
    The Pic of you wearing the case mod made me crack up :D

3. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Great work man! I've got a thing for small form factor cases, and it's great to see what you've started here.

4. Frenkie

Frenkie Lets mod the world!

Really good frame work, love it ! Must have been a b*tch to figure out the corners on the tubes. Good work !

5. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

The real fun will be when I put the panels on. Then I can wear the case and nothing else. However, those edges are pretty sharp; I don't think it's worth the risk.

Thanks but making just the chestpiece took quite awhile. I wouldn't dare attempt making appendages.

Thanks, I take that as a huge compliment knowing how much you pay attention to detail with your work on OM.

Haha, thanks. Unfortunately my roommate didn't have the same reaction. He tried pushing me over while I was taking it off and didn't have the best use of my arms.

Thanks, I'm a big fan of SFF cases as well. However, I feel like the arrangement of components in a lot of stock SFF cases can be improved upon greatly.

It actually wasn't all that bad. Playing around with SketchUp really helped.

Hopefully I'll have an update of sorts by the weekend. I have two 24"x36"x1/16" and one 12"x24"/1/8" sheets of aluminum waiting to be cut up. Unfortunately, the annual ASCE Concrete Canoe Competition is around the corner and my school is hosting our region so a lot of my time will be devoted to that.

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That's some slick work, particularly the nailing the corner angle without a jig.

7. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

Thanks. The square steel spacer I used held the corner brackets in place while drilling. Once that was set up it was only a matter of aligning it properly with the vise that was bolted to the tabletop on the 4-axis mill.

8. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Bx I've got one of those mitre saws and I used it once.
    To cut all those mitres, and compound mitres to boot, man that's
    hard work and the accuracy from what I can see, well, hats off to you.

9. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

Thanks, newby. The hard part of using that miter wasn't in lining the cuts up, it was actually getting through all the cuts. Five hours of cutting is a pain in the ass.

I just got back from spring break in Daytona Beach, Fl, hence the lack of updates. I think beer, beaches, and bitc-.. uhh.. women are more important than modding. I was able to cut out all of the panels prior to leaving but didn't have time to file them down and post an update. Next week is going to be pretty busy so I'm not going to make any promises about when those pictures will be up.

10. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Just give us the Bikes and Babes to hold us over. Pictures of the mod will come when they do:thumb:
    John

11. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Definitely!!!!

12. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

Well unfortunately my spring break was the week after bike week. However, that's not to say that I didn't have some fun.
    Green beer = Good times.

Updates within the week. Maybe.

13. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

I've looked at saws like that but none of them seem like they're intended to cut metal. Does a general purpose wood blade do the job?

14. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Very nice indeed.

As for the colours I think white with polished alu would look amazing :thumb:

15. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

Okay, I'm impressed :rock: I'm definately gonna follow this one.

16. Pfaffen

Pfaffen What's a Dremel?

That is amazing!!! I wish I could do that with wood... hmmm... maybe my next project :naughty:

17. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

General purpose wood blades typically have somewhere around 12 to 14 tpi (teeth per inch). For metals (even soft ones like aluminum) you'll want a higher tpi count. The miter box was McMaster part number 4201A38. It comes with a 14 tpi blade but I decided to purchase the 24 tpi blade as well. It's a bit expensive for a miter box but it's a good investment.

Sounds interesting but I feel like that would be way too bright for my tastes -- not enough contrast. However, the final color scheme (well, it's what I've settled on as of now) will include white.

With people like Pfaffen (I'll never forget your lego updates), Sleepstreamer (Cold Fusion was one of the reasons I got into modding), and oldnewby (one of the top cases ever with MK3) commenting, I must be doing something right. Everybody else's comments are worthless, however. ;)

I'll try to get an update on Sunday. Maybe. See ya never.

18. karolis

karolis Code Monkey

Anything new, B[x]? Great corner design man. One of the best ones i've seen. Great mitre skill too.
    Last time i used mitre i ended up with better cut without it :D

19. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Awesome job on that frame dude, those corners are PERFECT! I bet you could make a killing selling those corner pieces too. Those things are hard to come by and most of them suck. Those look very solid and would work well for lots of modders looking to create their own case from scratch.

20. JAxen

JAxen What's a Dremel?

Just read this thread and I dont understand how I missed it D:

It looks great thou! Love the cornerpieces!
    Well, I'll bet ya it will be one sturdy mo-fo! :clap: