1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Creative X-Fi gaming mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 2 Oct 2006.

1. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

While I've gotta say I'm a bit tired of all the X-Fi content (I've just got no interest until they do DDL, which was unsupported last I checked), it's a great mod. I do prefer the second iteration, mostly because it's a bit more subdued with the darker coloring, something I've always liked with acrylic case mods. A real shame that the shipper mangled it like that... you just can't trust those guys with case mods (Mashie's Y2K bug comes to mind here), but I think in the long run it came out the better for it.

2. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

To see so much of your dedicated time, skill and effort destroyed in an instant has got to be one of the most gut wrenching sights for anyone to endure so hats off to everyone involved in getting it back up and running and i'm sure Creative will be mightily impressed at the final outcome.........who wouldn't be!

I was in a similar situation recently but couldn't bring myself to parcel the case up and use a currier so did the 400 mile round trip myself in the car.

Anyway, incredible you were able to put that sort of stress behind you and able to keep going even when the chips were obviously so far down.

Great to see :thumb:

3. Lemur 6

Lemur 6 What's a Dremel?

Wasn't Mashie's Y2K bug smashed at the airport by the baggage peepo's? How much time do these company guys give you to do a case like that? A couple weeks? A month? Mad props to Chris :rock:, having done a few projects myself with time restrictions and having to outsource I know some of the stuff that can go horribly wrong, especially with flaky shipping or outsourced companies.

4. macroman

macroman The One

Hi all and thanks for the comments. It is good to see that the effort is appreciated and a disaster was overcome.

Personally, I prefered the look of Chris' original design but as explained in the article, much of it was destroyed or damaged and replacement parts taken too long to produce. Hence the make-over.

I would like to point out that the bit-tech team are just that, a team and that there is no "competition" between members and that the whole project was a team effort. That is what makes us strong.

Thanks for your support and stay tuned for more modding maddness soon. ;)

5. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

That must have been absolutely heart-breaking to see that done to the first case. :eeek: Good job Macro was on hand to do a little repair work

I know if I'd spent that much time and effort on something and that happenened to it, I'd be furious.

Please name and shame the couriers so other bit-techers can avoid them in the future.

And well done C3 for stepping up to the plate with a new case like that. :thumb:

6. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

Thanks for the comments guys. I really don't want to get into the details about the shipper. I was truly gutted when it arrived at Creative broken mainly front the standpoint that they depended on us to provide results and their first impression was tainted. Thank God they were very understanding that some things were outside our control and I had Dave to lean on to recover my baby. He did an outstanding job in a short period of time.

I don't want to drag the shipper though the wringer since I didn't persue any damages AND I didn't pay the tab. Barking at the shipper wouldn't have solved the problem at hand. The unit was well packed, but like always, more precautions could have been taken to avoid damage (although I don't think all of it could possible be avoided).

The good news is we get two mod articles in one! Trust me, this situation provided much better reading without the sanity altering drama. :D

7. macroman

macroman The One

8. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

Bloody Amazing Job! So how much you guys charge to do me a mod like that? :D

Can't wait for your next project. I thought both projects were excellent in there own way.

Neon

9. Amadeke

Amadeke What's a Dremel?

What screen is used in the front panel please?

Very nice job, both in the original as in the "repair"

10. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Hell, the carrier made the mistake of messing up an excellent case, they should have to deal with the bad reputation.

As for the case itself, awesome job!

11. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

If i had a choice, I would be equally glad to have either case as my rig. They are both great. Chris, you did a great job :thumb: and Dave, nice save job looks great :thumb:

Last edited: 4 Oct 2006
  12. KypD

KypD What's a Dremel?

i do prefer the look of the original iteration, but again, both are excellent.

the one time i've ever sent a case through the mail it had similar shipping wounds. it was an aluminum case, but the completely solid right ride of the case had two dents in it that looked as if it was hit with a ball-peen hammer. and not even overseas! i learned my lesson too. :(

13. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Nice job on both but i prefer the amp one.

14. macroman

macroman The One

15. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

You and me both macro :confused: .

16. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

17. Ultimate Gamer

Ultimate Gamer What's a Dremel?

Well
    Very Nice Job :) I really like it
    I was wondering where you got the wire mesh can you tell me?
    thanks

18. Ultimate Gamer

Do you know where i can get it. i got half of a 24" sheet from my uncle when i was out of town. I have used that already to make a hard drive rack

19. Ultimate Gamer

sorry for the tripple post but i would like to know if i can use one of those images on my site for the header?

20. Ownzyouall

Ownzyouall What's a Dremel?

Thats freakin amazing. So much craftsmanship. A great one-of-a-kinda. You got my vote, i wonder if creative would buy the off you for $xxxxxxxxx number amount. I hope you can restore that thing back up, I'd sue the shipper if i were you.

Tags: Add Tags