1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend a chair!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Firehed, 4 Mar 2008.

1. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Per the title, I'm looking to get a good computer chair and wondering if any of you lot have a recommendation. I'm not setting a specific budget but don't want to spend two grand on an Aeron either (sorry, Nexxo!). My biggest concerns are ergonomics (keep in mind I'm about 5'6" 110lbs) and comfort, as I get home from a day of work sitting most of the day to sit some more and write code for my freelance gigs. Something where I can comfortably sit both at a desk and with a laptop on my lap is very much preferred, and unfortunately the beat-up display models at the local office supply stores didn't seem great.

Any thoughts?

2. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Firehed is in the US, so Ikea may not be the easiest place to get to... :p

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

5. Krikkit

Ah... Ok... That'll teach me to look. :p

6. Firehed

I'm not too far from an Ikea... a bit over an hour out. I did find a recliner there I quite liked for $400, but I don't see that making a very effective computer chair.

Quite honestly, I'm probably looking to spend a bit more than that given my history which chairs in that price range, but you never know. I'm currently using a $30 task chair from Staples at my desk and an equally cheap dorm-type collapsible thing downstairs with my PC and consoles.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2008
  7. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

My chair, as I posted above, has lasted for 4 1/2 years now and I am not exactly light or a light user. It has its squeaks but is still fully functional and comfortable.

8. Krikkit

I tend to get my office chairs from office clearance-type places - get a knocked off one because someone's been sitting on it for a couple of hundred hours...

For example, I picked up my current one for £10 because the seat had a bit of a rip on it, other than that it's like new! Really really comfy too. :D

9. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Office Depot. I work there now, and we have a great selection. Also, get the 40 dollar memory foam cushion. Even with my bad back and dural ectasia I can sit forever without ass discomfort.

10. Krikkit

I don't even know what that is, but it sounds thoroughly horrific... Not entirely sure I want to know, either...

11. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

WD40 helps...

Anyway, ikeas are fun. As long as you dont have a person that loves to wander around the store for 9 hours. That was probably the worst shopping experience ever. And i didnt even get legos. I love legos, dunno why.

12. dogdude16

dogdude16 What's a Dremel?

Who doesn't like to play legos every once in a while if as you get older.

Just don't buy too cheap of a chair where the cushion gets really flat after alot of use.

13. Computer Gremlin

Computer Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Restored antique office chairs support the back and comfortable to use. Normally their made out of solid oak, ash or maple using simple joints with a recessed indentation on the seat. Look around in antique stores, furniture clearing houses, auctions and local ads. Salvage businesses that specialize in selling restored antiques often have old chairs along with other types of furniture.

14. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Not to steal the Firehed's thread, but I'm also looking for a good chair. Preferably one with good back support and straight arm rests with pads, none of the sloping business that you find on most computer chairs. Right now I have a leather one, but after a year the bottom cushion is too flat and I can feel the bottom of it. Anyone have the kind that's completely mesh and no cushioning? How do those feel?

15. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Firehed, if you're not ebay adverse you can pick up an aeron for quite a bit less. Other extremely popular ergonomic chairs include the steelcase leap, humanscale freedom, and there's a new one; the knoll life that's supposed to be good. Unfortunately I've only used an Aeron but the leap is supposed to be quite good. All the chairs I mentioned have adjusted arms which is something I view as a requirement and sturdy engineering.

Glaeken, what kind of budget are you looking at? If you're interested in an aeron or a high end chair there are several stores in Indy where you can go sit in one for a while to see how you like it.

Definitely check ebay for the chairs I mentioned above. Gently used or new chairs can be had for significantly less than their retail amount, though shipping is rather expensive.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2008
  16. Firehed

I have nothing against Aeron and am not even totally put off by the price (I spent $1500 for a mattress, after all - and it'll last two decades at least and the comfort has practically paid for itself already)... it's an investment to me. But if I'm going to spend half a grand or more on a chair, you can bet I want to sit in the thing first, and that's usually not an option with eBay or Amazon. Even with a good warranty policy, I'm still looking at massive return shipping costs and probably a restocking fees if things don't work out.

17. undertheradar

undertheradar What's a Dremel?

18. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I'd get one if it wasn't over 600$ :p

My own chair now has the end of a screw poking up.. I hve numerous band-aids on my ass now because of it :waah:

19. undertheradar

undertheradar What's a Dremel?

20. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

I'm still in college (one more year to go), so I don't have a lot of cash to spend. Probably 500 and below.

I really liked the looks of the freedom and the knoll life, but both are out of my price range unfortunately. There's a couple of office suppliers here in Lafayette that Purdue uses, maybe I'll have a look at those.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2008