1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gigabyte - better cases, mobos and crazy coolers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Mar 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. naokaji

naokaji whatever

rofl.... self contained wc kit for the ram... this isnt madness, this isnt sparta, this is plain silly.

any idea on launch date of the p45 boards?

3. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Ok, is it me or is this getting out of hand. First we have to deal with this ridiculously huge thing. And now a self contained watercoolingkit for your memory?

I dont even want to guess whats next...

4. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

Just tell me when the iRAM 2 that takes DDR2 up to 32GB is released, then I'll beat their door down for one.

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Wow I thought you couldn't get more pointless and OTT that Scythes new cooler but gigabyte have topped them in the stupid olympics. Surely heatspreaders on RAM is way more than adequate?

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about those things. With the prices of DDR2 right now, that kind of thing almost starts to make sense.

7. Bluephoenix

I'm using an iRAM with 4GB DDR for pagefile right now, only thing that stops me from using one as a primary run drive is the size.

with 32GB DDR2 that would be enough for a full Vista Ultimate install and shadow copy/restore and pagefile space.

8. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Wow, nothing better than unnecessary cooling that blocks airflow, increasing other part's temps, and blocking other memory slots.

9. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

I really like the power button on the Solo 228 or whatever it's name is. I like the P45 board design too.

10. naokaji

naokaji whatever

you can even run the ram naked, the heatspreaders dont do much anyway, no airflow through them, crappy tim inbetween, only marginally bigger surface than the modules themself, sure, if you oc your ram like crazy you are going to need some cooling, but even then a simple fan blowing over them is enough.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I actually looked and there's still only the iRAM and 8GB DDR1. I got the impression they aren't making them anymore, they are concentrating on the chassis/thermal division, mobos and MIDs/notebooks now.

12. Rexxie

Rexxie What's a Dremel?

Richard/Tim/Bit-tech people; is there any chance you could try to get hold of Gigabyte and ask them of any news on a new version of the i-RAM supporting DDR2?

And I have to join in here: A self-contained watercooling kit for the RAM!? That is simply.. crazy and sad.

13. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

quick question(s):
    1) anyone know how to find out the temps of ram through software, rather than using a thermal sensor on the sink itself in the case?
    2)Having found the temp, what is 'safe', and what might mean cooling attention should be required?
    3)if ram cooling isnt an issue, why do companies bring out crazy things like the ocz sink with additional wc'ing on their ram or like gigabyte have above? is it purely for dip sticks who like pimpin their shiate to the max for what i might be mistaken in calling their e-peen?

Just thought it might be nice to know, not in standard cases but in the most crazy, out of this world high spec system on which someone has oc'd the nuts off of it, answers on a postcard, please

peace

fatman

14. naokaji

naokaji whatever

1. there is no way since ram doesnt have internal temp sensors fitted, so no way to get the temp with software.
    2. safe? hmm, well, i'd say ~50C, sure ic's wont get damaged instantly even with temps at ~100C, but i woudnt risk more than ~70C after several hours full load. i'd add a fan based on voltage rahter than temp, 2,3+ = fan recommended.
    3. marketing and standing out of the crowd (they dont make the actual chips themself, so they have to find a way to separate themself from other brands) and same reason as why thermaltake is showing off a 2kw psu at cebit, epeen.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I will ask tomorrow for you :)

16. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Just how hard do you have to spank your RAM to justify those coolers? Now that they exist I'm guessing its only a matter of time before somebody decides to try to see how far you can you before they melt their RAM chips.

17. Bluephoenix

thank you bindi, and do tell them that while few people do look into them, the ones who do buy them swear by them and really want a newer version.

18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Thanks for asking this on my behalf. Shame the P45-DS3R loses 2 internal Sata ports from the P35.

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

water cooled memory in that form, huh make it so it can cool 4 sticks and it might be worth or if anything at least it looks neat lol

Tags: Add Tags