1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Which camera bag?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Darv, 10 Mar 2008.

1. Darv

Darv Bling!!

I've just bought myself a Nikon D40 (with the kit lens). This is my first SLR so I'm sure I will have plenty of questions, although I'm trying to read up on the subject first.

Anyway, I need a bag to carry it around in and I'm thinking of getting a Lowepro SlingShot. I'm not sure which size to go for. I doubt I'll be getting many new lenses in the near future, probably only a 55-200 or something. Does the 100 come with the rain cover that the 300 comes with? It's not really clear on their website. If so I'll probably go for that one, or is the 200/300 worth the extra money?

2. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

Its always difficult deciding on which camera bag to use and I have several. What I tend to use the most these days are bags that are not obviously camera bags, but depends on where your traveling /using it.

Just avoid anything that shouts "expensive gear" inside, mug me

3. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

I went to a store after buying my camera... and they're asking for $80 or so for a bag... =\ I guess I will have to take out creativity/modding hat and come up with something.

4. Vers

Vers ...

I would love to spend $80 on a bag...considering the one on my list is over $170 (over $300 on the Lowepro site)...of course I'm sure its much bigger and more feature packed, but still. As far as the slingshot 100 it is a nifty bag, very easy to remove/repack equipment and is very comfortable. Check out this review if you haven't come to a conclusion, it may help clarify your situation. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lowepro-Slingshot-100-AW-Review.aspx
    PS...keep in mind if you plan to pick up more equipment in the future, prepare to purchase a bag big enough to accommodate those additions, its best to be safe than sorry. IOW check out the SS 200 as well.

-Matt

5. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Crumper pretty boy for me ;)

6. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

A while ago I bought a Crumpler "Bens Pizza" XL and it's anything but XL, so if you go for a Crumpler take a look first so you understand what size they really are.

Also it depends what you want from a bag, if it's just to lug your stuff around you don't have to buy a brand name.
    I popped down to the local fishing store and bought a fishing real/kit bag, total cost £15.
    It's has removable dividers and is padded all round.

I can fit the camera with lens, 3 additional lenses, battery grip, extension tubes, filters and CF cards in flip down panel, remote cable and a few other bits and pieces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crumpler Ben's Pizza XL for size comparison.

[​IMG]

7. Fladlish

Fladlish What's a Dremel?

I'm also looking for a new bag. I've got some odd requirements though, I need to be able to get a probe and a shovel in the bag. I also need to be able to carry my skis on the backpack aswell. Yep you guess right, I a freeskiing geek. And I've been looking on the Dakine Sequence backpack.
    [​IMG]

It's about the right size aswell as you can carry your skies on the back of it, it got pockets for the camera and the lenses inside, on the outside you can put a shovel. There is a pocket where you can put the handle to the shovel, you can also put a monopod in here.

O wonders if anyone here has used one of these?.. Are they any good?
    Sorry for kind of hijacking the thread..

8. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Agreed. Crumplers bag sizes are a bit odd. Best off finding a store that sells them and seeing for yourself.
    I think I went for the biggest version, but I can get away with that fine. Can get 2 lens + body in, with space for batterys and memory cards too :)

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Ditto.

10. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

We can't help our good looks though Nex' :cooldude:

11. Vers

Vers ...

Funny that you mention that bag (Dakine Sequence BlackBox). My GF's friend just got one as a gift and loves it...
    It looks and feels like a good quality bag, though the camera bag compartment seemed, though it looks larger pictured, a little too small for my liking but as far as the bags primary usage (snowboarding/skiing) it is fine. One thing you may want to find out is if it is waterproof...the website does not specify it only states: 'Waterproof, fleece lined waistbelt pocket'. I think hers may have had a slip on cover...not quite sure though.

Hopefully I can scrounge together some cash within the next few weeks to pick up this guy...Lowepro Nature Trekker AWII
    [​IMG]
    The bag I have now won't even zipper up anymore...and I have two more pieces (50 f/1.4 & 85 f/1.8) coming that I just ordered today.

-Matt

Last edited: 10 Mar 2008
  12. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Slingshots are excellent bags. I started off with the AW100 but soon realised it wasn't big enough (with a 24-70L on the front of a 20D) so upgraded to the AW200 and gave the former to the missus for her 350D + Sigma 28-300.

I thought your bag looked a bit unconventional in the first pic then caught sight of the Daiwa zip and knew I recognised it. A strange distant voice from my teens said 'fishing' but I wasn't sure. Low and behold I read the text and it was. :hip:

Looks like a cracking bag for £15 - will have to bear that in mind in future. I've spent about £500 on bags and still not got the ideal one. I've got lots for different situations and they perform well, but they're still not quite spot on. I'd love to spend a day at LowePro and bitch my ass off at their designs. (Note I don't have only LowePros)

13. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Anyone here tried out Crumpler Customary Barge?
    I'm considering it to carry my Macbook Pro 17" and my Canon with 18-55 kit lens, 70-300 tele and perhaps my 50mm as well.
    Will this fit without trouble?
    Will there be a little space left for a soda and some sandwiches perhaps even a college block of paper and a pen?

And could someone living somewhere where it's possible to purchase it help me acquire it?

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread Darv. Thought I might as well ask here as post yet another thread.

14. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

It's great for just lugging stuff about, but I really nead a backpack too :(

15. nickhelton

nickhelton What's a Dremel?

check out the pelican cases. they are amazing. they are the only cases i trust my f-100 and d-100 in. lockable, water tight, shock resistant...cant go wrong there

16. Whelan_999

Whelan_999 What's a Dremel?

Funny that this thread appeared, on my way home I was thinking about making a post about bags. I do have some questions so I thought I would keep it all in this thread.

I am an avid skier and have just recently bought my first DSLR (Exciting times aren't they :thumb:) and haven't had a chance to take any shots on the slopes in fear of hurting my camera (XTi, kit lens + extras). I have done extensive research but can't decide between a few bags and would like a bit of help from anyone out there who has first hand knowledge about them.

1. The Lowepro Slingshot (200AW I'm thinking) - A review of it can be found here (as well as others ) http://www.trailpeak.com/index.jsp?cat=hike&con=article&val=3500*ev which I have read through. The only downside is when I get more gear it will be a bit to carry around with one strap. So I also looked into the upgraded newer version which is the Fastpack.
    Pros: Keeps the bag off the snow and on my back. Very fast to get at my gear when I need to take a quick shot (more for hiking and other outdoor trips) and also has the all weather cover for snow and what not. Good price and lots around to buy second hand.
    Cons: Doesn't seem to have a tripod holder which I would use. Also the one strap is cumbersome on ones shoulder after a day of carrying around a lot of gear (what i read from reviews) Not sure about the room up top for extras.

2. The Lowepro ORION AW - Looks like a good bag with a bit more room up top for a few extras. The bag looks sturdy over all and has a good price.
    Cons - the gear is in the bottom which could impact from a drop and getting the gear out would have to put the bag on the ground
    Not much else to say

Edit* Review - http://www.photographyreview.com/mfr/lowepro/soft-case/PRD_84122_3124crx.aspx
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=316228

Also apparently the sucker zips off into a belt pack type of thing, interesting...:eyebrow: Or maybe I have something mixed up..

3. The Lowepro Flipside - http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=445678
    This is in the lead I think for my picks. It has a great system to get the gear out of the bag, if you youtube Flipside there are videos on how it works.
    Pros - Keeps your gear next you you and is a good anti theft system. Great internals to arrange gear and has sufficient room for me. Price isn't bad either and is something I could afford
    Cons - Where does my extra stuff go? Also the waist belt although they say is sturdy seems like over time it might give way and that might be when I am reaching for gear and it spills everywhere, not sure though.

4. The Dakine Sequence - I saw this in a recent ski bag thread http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/604597/1 which answered a lot of questions that I had. However there isn't a lot of use with this bag as far as I can tell and some reviews out there. Vers I was wondering if you could take a dozen or so shots of your girlfriends bag to show it off a bit, I would really appreciate it.
    Pros - I have a Dakine bag owner and they make top notch bags and I can bet the build quality is superb. It looks like it has lots of room inside and has the option to strap my skis on to let me hike around the hills. It also has a removable "camera block" that holds the gear so you can take that out and use it as a regular pack. Also it unzips from the back of the pack (the part against your back) again giving it security.
    Cons- None that I can think of, I haven't researched this as much as the others but I am guessing the price will be higher.
    Review - http://www.wigglesworld.klebos.com/sports/snowboard/reviews/dakine/index.asp
    Pictures - http://www.cambags.com/canon/300d_10_20d/backpacks/dakine_sequence_desc.htm

Edit* Just went to check a price before I called it a night and found this, good review but in a weird way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgTp0DhWqHs

:clap:

So I was wondering who had experience with these and what you can tell or suggest to me. My future upgrades will include a Sigma 17-70, a 50mm 1.8, a 430 or 550 flash, maybe a filter or two and I would love to get a 24-70 :naughty:
    Thanks for reading.
    -aaron

Edit* linked fixed for Dakine

Last edited: 11 Mar 2008
  17. Vers

Vers ...

Hey Aaron, The Dakine bag is my GF's friends, so I don't really have access to it in order to get the pictures you have asked for, but it can all be seen on the Dakine site. Like I said earlier, the camera bag compartment would be a little too snug for me but it should suit a light equipment pack which would be suitable for riding/skiing. As you can see, there are two bags, the camera bag fits inside the daypack, so you can carry other goodies as well. It seems to be a well made pack, but I am not sure if it is completely weatherproof but I would have to assume so since its main purpose is for outdoor trekking. I'd check to make sure before making any purchases. BTW the FM link is for a Burton pack, not the Dakine.

-Matt

18. Whelan_999

Whelan_999 What's a Dremel?

Matt,
    I am worried about the size too, for the price I want something that will last and be good to me once I upgrade. I don't think I will upgrade too fast so it might not be an issue. Also there aren't many shops around here that woudl carry that bag, I might have to one place to order it in to take a look at it, as long as I am not obliged to purchase it.

Also the Dakine link is fixed, the review is great.
    -aaron

19. Vers

Vers ...

I am sure the bag will be fine for you. Take a look at the image Fladish posted and try and mentally visualize the equipment you have and what you plan to get in the bag. I got a bag a few years ago, and now I can't even zip it up w/o a hassle...This may or may not happen to you but remember that you do not need to carry all your eggs in one basket at all times. It will be able to fit most of the equipment you have listed.

-Matt

20. TNash

TNash What's a Dremel?

I have the Slingshot 200AW after it was recommended to me on this forum. I can recommend it. It's comfortable but a bit heavy on the shoulder chock full of gear. I only carry two lenses with me at the moment, but I can imagine that with 4 or 5 it would become a bit cumbersome. For my use though, it's fantastic. Easy to carry, easy to access your stuff.

Tags: