1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Graphics card bundles - do you care?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tim S, 10 Mar 2008.

?

Do you see value in graphics card bundles?

1. Yes - If there's a game included, it usually influences my buying decision.

11 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. Yes - The warranty is important to me.

37 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. Yes - But I only want the required cables/connectors. I don't want a game bundle.

86 vote(s)
    38.1%
  4. Yes - All of the above.

29 vote(s)
    12.8%
  5. No - Give me a white box with just the card.

63 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. moshpit

moshpit What's a Dremel?

QFT.

2. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

The only things that matters as far as I'm concerned is that the card is the best that I can afford, its a capable card with a good level of future proofing, has all the connections and connectors that I need and has a good warranty (god bless BFG), apart from that I don't really care what else I get. I've still got freebie games from my last two cards that I haven't even opened, I just chucked them in the corner and forgot about them.

3. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

I used to work for a computer retailer (Mentioning no names here), who had an optional bundle of games to be included with new systems. The Retail price of this bundle of 4 AA titles was around £30, but being a staff member I could buy the bundle at cost. £0.58. Bundling games with graphics cards doesn't cost a lot at all, but the manufacturer will artificially inflate the cost of the hardware to make a profit from the "Perceived value" of the bundle, rather than the actual cost.

That being said, if I don't have a game that's offered in a bundle, and I'm interested in the game, and the cost of bare card + retail game is more than the cost of the bundle, I would go for the bundle instead.

From what I've seen, however, cards with bundles are priced the same (Give or take a few pounds) at retail as cards without, so the bundle does add value. The RRP may be different, but when it comes to the storefront, it's the listed price that makes a difference.

4. drdro

drdro What's a Dremel?

If i were to build my first rig ever, then i would want to have a full bundle with adaptors and cables, etc.. Though as I got those a long time ago already, a plain white box would do just fine.

As for games, it really depends. Some cards come with Crysis which turns out to be cheaper then buying the game separetly. So in that case I would consider it. Then again, if you already own the game, there is no real point (except selling it on ebay).

And the longer the warranty, the better. 3 to 5 years being ideal as it would be enough to have a warranty until a next possible upgrade and then still be abale to sell the card with a warranty, which is something people here in Switzerland tend on like.

5. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I always bought Built by ATI video cards... and they certainly don't have the greatest bundle

6. Rebourne

Rebourne What's a Dremel?

Warranty and connectors yes, but no games.

7. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

I get quite sad when i buy the latest greatest graphics card, Often when you read reviews they say "this comes with it, and that, and that" and often an interesting game or something

But then you go out and buy your graphics card, and its just a bare box (well, with the gfx card ofc)

On the other hand, sometimes they do bundle stuff with the card, but then they always succeed in messing it up
    Eg. my 8800GTX came with GRAW - GRAW ffs, come on XFX, bundle a decent, up to date game in your box with this beast

So, i would like the whole shebang, but then as they always mess it up anyway, probably just cables and connectors

8. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

first thing on my list is warranty, so usually between evga and bfg, (card i own tend to die on 12 months and 1 day of ownership) if they are both the same price then if one has a better HSF combo ill take that one... After that ill look at the games bundle....

Having said that if its a stand out recent title that im going to be buying i will take that into account. eg Crysis, cod4 etc, or the ati valve black box bundle....

9. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

I like the free shirts...

10. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

I like having the extra cables and a decent enough warranty that if it dies out of the return time I can still get it replaced.d

11. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I hardly ever buy games, so the ones that come with a graphics card are a godsend. Dungeon Siege came with my 9600 All In Wonder, and I still play that. Company of Heroes with my 8800GT is great as well. I mean, I still expect it to come with the required cables... A VGA-DVI converter or two is nice, and a power adaptor helps too.

12. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

i just get the cheapest card with the spec i want (provided it isn't made by MSI)

13. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i want a graphics card that's all, if i want a game ill buy it, if i want an adapter ill buy it (exemption proprietary connections as mentioned)

14. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

1. vga/dvi cable.
    2. 90-days step-up program

throw away the rest, im happy.

15. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

the first thing that comes into my decision it performance/price point to select the card; when it gets to choosing the manufacturer/version of that card, I look at warranty and price compared to other manufacturers.

Bundled games rarely come into my decision; unless there's no price difference or I wanted that game anyways.

In terms of bundled cables/adapters; the proprietary ones are a must. These days DVI-VGA adapters aren't really necessary since most people are using LCDs and they'll invariably have a DVI port. I find the molex to PCI-e power cables a waste; I feel that the user should have a PSU that natively supports the correct amount of PCI-e power connectors required by the card(s) , as a new card can over stress older power supplies (i.e. running a pair of 8800GTXs on a 550W PSU)

16. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i would like the step-up program but evga doesnt offer it in nz and as far as i know, they are the only company that offer it (more should thou)

17. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Some software included if it's a HTPC card, if anything else.. Just card and connectors or just card..

18. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I got like 3 copies of Company of Heroes this last time. And a box of HDMI converters. All I want is working cards. Sell them coolerless, for all I care.

19. HitmanAdski

HitmanAdski What's a Dremel?

I think that if hardcore gamers are buying graphics cards you would expect most of them to go out and buy the games they wanted. I usually like the Posters and other stuff that you can't buy on it's own. But yeah if it doesn't perform you just don't get it unless it's uber cheap.

20. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Don't want a game with a graphics card, but required cables (like ATi VIVO and internal audio) are required. Other then that just a warranty and good recyclable packaging please.