1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ultra high-end graphics are "a terrible mistake"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 11 Mar 2008.

1. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

My links weren't proof? They show a direct growth in the Pc game market, what the hell do u need? Pc games are selling more and more via digital distribution and in other conntries, saying it is decling just because of what u see in american stores is your logic? LOL. consoles selling better does not equal Pc selling lower, Pc gaming is a seperate market with vastly different demographics.

No, u do not need a new GPu every 6 months, soon, a mid to lower range PC will have equal graphics to the consoles, imagine what it will be like in 09?

Wii controller innovative? BWHAHA

That tech has been around for ages on Pc and other areas, Nintendo gets no credit there, there games are still more basic then any other platform. The only credit they get is bringing it to the masses, but game innovation, nintendo are as propretary and basic as they come.

2. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

I will dispute this with logic rather than a rapidly typed, ungrammatical, inflexible reflex answer.

say you went out and bought a game, for $30-40 and were not happy with it.

would you spend what could be several hundred hours digging through code and figuring out the engine in order to make improved content? I do not think you would, instead you might play it once and then resell it.
    Most mods have arisen out of a persons love for a game and simply want to make it even better, not fix a broken game because they feel they must.

as proof of that concept, look at all the games that started as half-life mods, or the Thirdwire flight simulation games, or any of the microsoft flight sims, or oblivion, or , <insert heavily modded game with multiple dedicated community sites here>

3. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

Your right ill remove that comment. just got slightly heated :)

4. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

Your right man iv never built my own pc or worked out how much i spent on it. your right my 360 was the worst thing iv ever bought. how could i have ever doubted you :clap: p.s new hardware comes out almost monthly

5. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

American stores? The last time I was in America was 1997.

Anyway, I still disagree with you, but, you are right, I don't think your links are proof. Here in Britain I think console gaming is more popular. I agree that PC gaming has a different demographic and I agree that you don't need a new GPU every 6 months (just look at mine, I've had it since 2004 :thumb:). But, I still say that to get the best experience out of a PC game, you will need to upgrade your system, which you don't need to do with a console. Which is why I think console games are outselling PC games.

oh yes, Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean that you can insult me.

Andy

6. Lepermessiah

Monthly? Bull crap. New GPU's only come out once a year, and u can go a long time without needing to upgrade a CPU. It is obvious your full of it.

7. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

Your right man iv never built my own pc or worked out how much iv spent on keeping it moden . your right my 360 was the worst thing iv ever bought. your not a fanboy are you how could i have ever doubted you :clap: p.s please link me forza 2 for pc i cant seem to find it, silly me

8. Lepermessiah

Yes, u need to upgrade? DUH, no one has said otherwise, can u read?

No, the sales figures show the game sales are growing (They are actual sales figures), if that is not good enough for u then wallow in ignorance. I showed dirst proof, u just say because shelf space is smaller, yeah, consoles are more popular always have been, has no bearing on Pc sales which are growing, and digital distribution is rapidly growing.

9. crozon

crozon What's a Dremel?

PC gaming has more casual gamers than consoles. WOW 10 miilion active subscribers, sims sold close to 100million units and maple story earns something like 100million usd a year.

Yep but agreed the bitch is that integrated graphics card. once they can create some bog standard card that comes with every pc and can play most games, then the high end market of PC games will be a bit of a niche in comparrison to the console market.

10. Shielder

To get the best out of the latest PC games then yes, you need to upgrade, especially if you are wanting to run a DX10 game.

Year on year, I agree, PC sales are going up, but so are console sales. 14% of all games sold are PC games. That is quite a small figure, especially when you consider that the console games generally cost slightly more than the equivalent PC game so will generate more profit for the manufacturer.

Oh, I can read, but I don't think you can write clearly. Parsing some of your posts is a bit difficult, so I apologise if I've misread anything.

Andy

11. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

err lets see ther was the 9800pro 9800pro 256 9800 xt

8800gts and gtx then the ultra came about then the gt game along

3850 pro then the 3870 xt then just recently i recall a 3870x2

i do recall that was within just a few months of the first being released

12. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

and you appear to be full of yourself.

we try to keep discussion civilized here, if you want to yell and fight, find a more suitable venue.

inflexible rapid answers that degrade others do not win them over to an idea, instead they will only entrench them in that idea more. the best way to conduct a discussion (not an argument) is to listen first, think about what you heard, and then clearly and concisely explain your point of view with multiple pieces of supporting evidence.

13. Lepermessiah

Yes, u proved my point, u don't need to go from the 3850 pro to the 3870, as the 3850 can play all games on high. The only people who would go for the 3870, are people with the x1900XT or lower, they are over a year old. U cannot understand the difference between having the option to upgrade and needing to. I can upgrade my car any time I want to as well, but I don't need to.

That is the dunbest argument i have ever heard. If someone just buys a 8800GT, they are set for awhile, they are not going to turn around and buy a 8800GTX, they can, but it is not needed, which is the crux of the argument.

I am talking when they NEdd to upgrade, u don't need to upgrade in the same generation of cards, get real.

14. Lepermessiah

14% was only RETAIL, not digital distribution, and that was compared to:

PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii, DS, PSp.

How is it fairt to compare the PC to 7 other platforms combined?

So, that is a large chunk which is actually closer to 20%, an article on bit-tech alone dispelled many of these false reports.

15. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

i was only pointing out that they do come out more than once a year.... but again your right im wrong. and yes you can buy a 8800gts, then you get say a larger screen and ow wait your fps have failed you. so you can either slug on with your gts or you can sell and get a gtx again either way costs money, with a console you get a bigger tv you dont need to get a new console. to play the same games.

16. Lepermessiah

yeah, u need to upgrade, welcome to page one of the thread, we all know that captain obvious. Just not as often as some ignorant people think.

17. Shielder

Oh, so people running an 8600 wouldn't find any benefit going to an 8800?

In your words, get real! Listen to Bluephoenix and try and be more civilized when discussing something. Or do you hold the view that whoever shouts loudest wins?

Andy

18. Lepermessiah

A Bigger TV comes with console, didn't know that, lol, last i checked they are not cheap. I hook up my Pc to my HDTV all the time, one little cable. U need a new console when the new one comes out. U don't need to buy a bigger screen, it is a choice, something to consoles don't give u.

19. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

Dear Lepermessiah

YOU FAIL!

20. Lepermessiah

Can u read? Did I say that? I said people coming from a 3850 - 3870. U don't have to, and if someone is buying a 8600, why wouldn't they just buy the 880 and be set for aehile, especially considering the 8800 was released before. Most people don't, nor need to buy every new card that is released.

Tags: Add Tags