1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ultra high-end graphics are "a terrible mistake"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 11 Mar 2008.

1. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Oh look, a post showing if someone has nothing of substance and no valid points they post U fail with no substance behind it, good job.

2. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

Well its completely true leper, You state that new cards ARENT released every month, which sc4mpi then proved, you then say oww but no they dont count because you dont HAVE to upgrade.

The matter of the fact is that they DO release cards roughly once a month, just because they are the same generation does not mean they are not new cards, hence why, you fail.

P.s. I didnt post "u fail" because I dont use text speak, I said "you fail" in size 7 red letters.

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

14 percent in the US, fwiw. Europe has a much bigger market for PC games, with Germany being the biggest market on its own I believe.

4. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

oh look a thread that’s starting to resemble the forum of gamespot, all we need now is several people shouting first!!!11!!!one!!!!11!! and the conversion will be complete

5. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

nor did i say you haft to buy every new one that is released. !!11!!!one!!!!11!! :D

6. Lepermessiah

Once a month? No, every 3 months, which is irrelevant for someone who got the same generation, they are only a minor speed bump. The point is, u don't have to buy them everytime something new is out, which was what the entire discussionw as about, learn some comprehension. U saying if someone bought a 8800GTS, then a GTX gets released next month they HAVE to buy it? No, the 8800GTs has been out for 1.5 years, still plays any game on high settings.

7. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

OMG!!!11111!!111onetwo2332""""£!!!!! OVER EXAGERATION!!!!!1111!"222two

8. Lepermessiah

u said in an earlier post u need to spend 500 every 3 months, which was a pile of crap. I haven't spent that in 1.5 years, and still play crysis on very high on 1280 X 1024 res.

9. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

One point that has not been brought up is that most games are designed in a resolution far beyond the capability of any current home PC, and then those textures and meshes are downscaled to fit the widest possible audience, with a higher resolution set left in for those few that can make use of it.

if you actually look at the games currently on the market, nearly all of them will play on midrange or low-range cards, not at the highest settings, but certainly at playable settings.

I myself have one of the top end machines, but half the time I do not use it as it is doing what it was originally intended for (engineering analysis) and instead use my laptop's 8400m GT I play Crysis and Oblivion and WiC with it, and it does just fine, even though its graphical power is about equivalent to a 7800 series card.

the PC gaming market is not dead, or dying. it may not be doing as well as consoles, but that is because consoles are more accessible to younger users (who do not have other expenses to think about) PC gamers tend to be people in the 17-25 range who have other expenses to worry about and thus do not want to shell out for a console (which is a single-use investment) but instead choose to buy a PC, which they can upgrade to be able to play games while also being useful for many other applications.

10. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Ah, fair enough. Thanks Tim.

See Leper, calm reasoned and well written has made the point in one sentence. How many posts in this thread have you done?

Andy

11. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

Who said you HAVE to get it?

Minor speed bump?

Im sorry there is quite a difference between playing a game on an 8800gt @ 1920x1200, and a game being played on an 8800ultra @ 1920x1200.

The 8800GTs doesnt exactly play crysis on high settings @ 1920x1200, therefore your logic is flawed.

12. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

This is why pc gaming is not going to die. There are too many of us who care too much about it, you don't find people with consoles who buy a new 360 elite after they just bought the regular, there are people who constantly update there computers, spend hours tweaking there settings... I need a life.... why? It becomes an accomplishment, a creation, something that is you. We don't need game developers... we create are own already so many new games are created for free everyday. The reason I love pc is it is controlled mostly by the community, build us a sexy looking base (crysis, HL , GTA:SA) and we will make a mod that makes it what we want how we want, there are no boundaries in the pc. Don't get me wrong I own a PS3 and Its an amazing system and it can look better than my very expensive computer, but I cant talk on vent with it, I cant install a mod easily, I cant watch a movie and play a flash game at the same time... its not customized to me.

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

Come on guys, keep it civil - I'm not watching it closely enough to dig through every post and I know this is a passionate subject. Just please don't break the forum rules while you're discussing it. :thumb:

14. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

please point the need out in that sentence.

15. Lepermessiah

The ultra, GTS and GTX were released the SAME TIME. The ones released 3 months after are minor revisions.

16. naokaji

naokaji whatever

they said the same about why they still release games on cd's instead of putting every game that doesnt fit on a cd on dvd... not every pc has a dvde drive, sure, but all of those that belong to someone who does wnat to game has one. besides, the whole thing comes from epic which rather jumps on the console bandwagon than admitting that their game UT3 was a failure.

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

Nobody that bought a GTX has needed to upgrade since November 8th 2006 - the day that the card came out. It's still as good as anything ATI has, and the only thing better that Nvidia has is an overpriced clocked GTX (otherwise known as the Ultra). The 3850/9600 GT/8800 GT are all great replacements for anyone that previously had an X1950 Pro.

I don't see how anyone needs to upgrade every three months just to keep up? At the moment, the only game that the mid-range cards can't play at a decent resolution with high settings is Crysis. And that's sold 1.4m according to an earlier post in the thread.

18. Lepermessiah

Middle class gamers don't have 500 quid to every 3 months, which implies u need that to play games on PC. which is baloney.

19. Lepermessiah

WOW, common sense in this thread, amazing. Good post, amazes me how many people exaggerate how much money it cosets to upgrade.

Kepp in mind, many people already have PC's in the home, the cost to upgrade can sometimes be lesss then a console, I sold my old GPU and ram on e-bay, by the time I bought my new stuff, it was cheaper then buying a 360.

20. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

The ultra was released after the Gtx and gts if were getting down to details :thumb:

Tags: Add Tags