1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress G5 Sacrilege update Jun. 15th a tale of two doors

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by jhanlon303, 14 Feb 2008.

1. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

sick yes ....... Narcolepsy no ..........
    I can't sleep longer than 2 to 3 hours at a time ......... for that
    reason I do sometimes just fall asleep without wanting to

Alan

2. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

If the JB Weld does not work for you in the end, perhaps durafix will. Have a look at the demo videos, they're really cool! (*sigh* I beginning to sound like a repeating parrot.. oh well *shrugs*)
    Btw, sleeping late, and in another time zone here as well. <=)

Keep up the good work!

3. theAlien

the demos were great and it looks so easy to use...........thanks again.:thumb:

Alan

4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Broken Tools and Dead Microfly

Sorry for the delays in posting but real life got in the way. My MicroFly daily driver developed a serious PSU problem and I had to replace it. I need to put the P4 Extreme edition in the Cooler Master case and make the MicroFly more pretty! That was for E.E.L. as a project log HINT!

I have all the cage cut to size and J. B. Weld applied. This stuff is harder than Chinese - no offense Hotton. I have been working on the door latch and the internal shelf pieces for the motherboard and half height DVD drive. It appears that these pieces need to be installed or at least measured and marked out before the cube is assembled. Very tiny space and 2.5mm bolts and nuts. The Apple cage to hold a full height DVD is going to have to go to the bin. If my eyeball engineering is close I may have room for 2 laptop drives in the original Apple G5 space. What, you don't like laptop drives? Remember this is Linux bound.

I will have some pictures in the AM. I broke my hand nibbler, and wore out the belts on my sander so I will HAVE to catch the weekend tent sale at Harbor Freight. 8 blocks from the house and next to a charity store for Marilyn!
    Sweet!

Hint: make the insides before you seal up the outside.

Movie quote for today:
    Just dropped in for a little shopping.

John

Last edited: 7 Mar 2008
  5. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Aw, that sucks. John! PSU biting the big bazooka sucks. LOL @ project log hint.

No probs with laptop drives at all! I have a brand new slotload burner I got for a future build siting right here.

You got me. I'm stumped. :confused:

6. jhanlon303

Hint: Snow and Glass

7. jhanlon303

I just put a couple of pictures of my MicroFly over in modding. The new PSU is in and all seems healthy again.
    John

8. Wench

Wench BINGOBONGO!

Excuse me if it's out of place, but it's that good that Im wondering if your selling when completE?

9. jhanlon303

Thanks for the compliment and keep watching. I almost never keep any of my mods since they are done for friends.

John

10. zwiks

zwiks My avatar: :D

long time no see, it coming nicely together my dear fellow modder john :D heheh by the way . me and Phinix was talking about maybe writing something like MOTM in the project-log-titel .. :D any way, its just a surgestion :D

11. jhanlon303

When I can get on "Server is too busy. Try again later". I should put that in my sig:clap:
    Title fixed.
    John

12. jhanlon303

Skin Questions

ALL RIGHT! I'm logged in. Forum server must not like the thin air in Colorado. To Work!

The inner cube is all cut and squared up waiting final grinding of inner framework:
    [​IMG]

Now to the outer skin or wrap around. TheAlien had some photochops that looked right so me and my buddies from Ireland - remember them? - decided to play with the tape markup language:

[​IMG]
    Some explanantion. The original wrap around has a 3mm lip on the front and back so I marked 3mm for the new lip. I have decreased the width of the handles to 1 inch. Sorry about the mixed dimensions but the case wasn't made in Newbraska! 1 inch looks right on to TheAliens chop.
    [​IMG]

and a nice lip from the handle to the center. Original Apple curve.
    [​IMG]

Now the question is - Do I cut the original vertically to make the 1 inch handles and mount the cube in the top corner and save as much of the wrap around in one piece? - Or do I cut horizontally all the way across and make the backside look like the door side with a seam for handles and feets. This picture might sway the vote.
    [​IMG]

Oh And I made the aluminum plates for the inside top and bottom. Why, who will see them, nobody will know they are there.

[​IMG]
    I'll know

Still have the old optical bracket to remove, the floor piece that Apple uses for the PSU cover, the new shelf for the half height DVD, the front power panel, the rear I/O panel and a surprise for cooling to "keep the look".

This is like when I was building custom cars - detail here, detail there, make this piece. Does it ever end?:confused:
    John

13. tomshawn

tomshawn What's a Dremel?

getting more interesting...
    keep it up!!!

14. theAlien

[​IMG]

exactly what I had in mind and keep the original Apple curve.
    It's kind of like putting a puzzle together......you will probably
    end up with having to JB Weld the back of the wrap around together........

But I would try to keep the oringinal Apple curve on it.....

Alan

15. hanabusa

hanabusa What's a Dremel?

16. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

ohh it's starting to look very good!

JBWeld is tough, but I'm not sure it'll hold for this application. You did sand the areas where you applied it I hope? Then it bonds a lot better...

17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I say you cut out the four corner splices, then add a center panel made from the logo area on top to hide your seams.
    This stuff is heavy enough you could countersink rivets, fill in with JBWeld, and sand everything smooth.

18. jhanlon303

Some Joy, Some Pain

My Kodak digital won't get close enough to show the J.B. Weld cracking. :wallbash:My fault! I realized after applying the epoxy to the front that I neglected to reinforce the corners and the vertical pieces inside. :duh:The mesh with the epoxy holds wonderfully until it is flexed, the epoxy cracks away from the mesh as Cyprio and others have mentioned. Tonight I am cutting reinforcing strips for the frame and applying the epoxy from the inside.

The front all sanded smooth from first layer of epoxy:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The edges are where it is cracking without the frame being epoxied and reinforced, the center is fine except for some shrinkage which I will fill with epoxy before drilling.

The back side is still all bolted together and it will get reinforced before I remove the bolts.

This stuff really needs a warning about adequate ventilation. Because of my emphysema my lungs are extremely sensitive to foreign smells and particles and even with the US Govt. approved masks I wear it's nasty. The masks I wear are approved for CDC workers and will stop even anthrax (the disease not the band) inhalation.

The plan is to epoxy up one side, let it dry, sand it flush, drill the 3mm holes, and then epoxy up the other side and sand and re-drill.
    Note to self: Next case NO MESH WITH HOLES! Plexi and LEDs and CCFL from here out.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2008
  19. jhanlon303

From theAlien

I have so got to share these with you. Alan (theAlien) made these for me and sent them in a PM:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This one even has the groove indent in the bottom inner liner for the clear acrylic fan baffle. So Sweet!

[​IMG]

This is why I'm on Bit-Tech.net - sharing skills and ideas. No "mine's better than yours":rock:

John

20. zwiks

zwiks My avatar: :D

:D Thats right :D :thumb:

Tags: