1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Rogue (NZXT Rogue SFF) It lives! Aug 13, '08

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigbru, 28 Feb 2008.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

That's what it is all about !!! MODDING MAYHEM !!! :)

Great work Craig, nice mobo you chose there....

2. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

I've got just a quick update here. Although I have work to do on the front of the case, I decided to mix it up a little. I started working on the top of the case, and it's associated fan assembly. It's the largest cutting project I have left, and I am anxious to get it out of the way. If you've been following along, you should have seen a mock up earlier in the log. This should have given you some idea of the direction I'm headed.

The first thing I had to do, was get the layout marked on the case's top panel. You can see that there is a small strip missing where the original acrylic window was. I'll fill that in a little later.

[​IMG]

The final cut is done, and I'm working on cleaning up the edges.

[​IMG]

All done except for the filler strip.

[​IMG]

Okay, so now what? Well, the fans won't actually be sitting in top of the case. They will be sitting in recessed and angled pockets. The next step is to get the pockets made. Here I've marked out a panel, and it's ready to hit the metal brake.

[​IMG]

All bent!

[​IMG]

I can't use the panels as they are, I need to cut the excess aluminum off. Here's one side done.

[​IMG]

Now the other side.

[​IMG]

That's it for now, but I'll have another updated for you all tomorrow. Stay tuned!

3. craigbru

I've got a micro-update here. I'm currently still working on the top panel, but I've got a couple more shots of the work in progress.

Here you can see the top panel sitting on top of the fan tray. The missing strip will be added once I join the two pieces together.

[​IMG]

Then finally, you can see the fans sitting in position. Don't worry about the wires right now. They will all be sleeved and presented nicely. They will drop into the center of the cover behind each fan.

[​IMG]

Well, I'm going back to work. I've got 6 big holes to make!

4. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

5. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

I have never been an SFF fan ...... but watching your log how you are
    fitting all of that stuff in there , even a full ATX board :thumb:, you actually got
    me thinking about getting the same case as soon as they are availible
    here in Germany.

One site says they'll have them in by the end of the month .............

Alan

6. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

did you check Caseking.de ? They have them for a pretty long time already, I know cause I've been tempted to buy on a couple of times when I visited the site ...

on topic, respect for all the cooling power...it's good you're putting so much stuff in it, otherwise it would lift off into the air with all those fans... :D

7. craigbru

Thanks!

I guess I could say that I've always been a fan of power in small packages. This is actually my 3rd SFF project, and definitely my biggest. I've had a few Shuttle systems prior to this, and then my L.O.S.I.A.S project, which was based on a SilverStone SG01 chassis. I'm going full out this time around though. The ability to upgrade, was a huge concern. I didn't want to limit myself to mATX motherboards. Also, even though this is technically a SFF case, it's probably the largest out there. Certainly that helps with this project, but I'm still gonna cram this case full of goodies, and attempt to have respectable airflow.

I just couldn't help myself! The plan has made several revisions since I first received the case, and one of the crazier ideas involved an elevated motherboard, and fans on the bottom of the case... In the end, I was simply giving up more space than I wanted. As far as this thing lifting off in to the air... I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to lift it! :D

8. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

heavy stuff, sweet artillery of fans:) Good work Craig!

9. craigbru

Thanks phinix! To be honest, I really wasn't sure I'd like all those fans on top of the case like that. I really didn't have much choice though, and that's part of the reason I went with them angled. I just thought it looked better. Not to mention the fact that it gained me a little more room in the case. I'm a little biased, but I think they'll look pretty sweet with the fan grills I have planned... :D

10. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I think its great idea to put those fans in angle. It is always sth new! Didnt see sth like that anywhere else. Now when I thought about it, it make sense - when you draw a imaginary line from the middle of every fan they will meet in some point - that point will be the place where all the hot air from inside will concentrate..

11. craigbru

I understand what you mean. The principle is sound if it were an empty case, although I'm not sure how it would change in a case full of components. (BTW, I LOL'd at what you wrote before you edited your post. :lol:)

12. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Yes, I realised that it is not up side down:) I thought it was flipped - which could be also interesting, depending how do you want to put them - blowing or sucking air...:)

13. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Really top-notch work here, bro. Original ideas too. The top fan array looks like it's going to be cool. Literally! :thumb:

14. craigbru

Actually, I laughed at the other part... ::Looks at avatar...:: ;)

They'll definitely be sucking!

15. craigbru

Thanks! I'm hoping to get the whole fan assembly wrapped up tonight. I do have a package that I hope arrives today... I bought some spring contacts from Mouser.com. They will allow removal of the top without disconnecting any wires. :thumb:

16. Bress

Bress What's a Dremel?

Congrats on making such an insanely ambitious SFF mod actually work (even though there's a little more still to do). Computer hardware may go out of date rapidly, but in 2020 this Rogue will still at least look like the most amazing computer in the galaxy.
    I've started building an NZXT Rogue PC with only a modest amount of moddage, I'm pretty new to modding, but one thing I'm keen to do is change the colour of the front panel light strips (to green). I'm wondering whether that's going to be a really simple matter of swapping the tiny LED stuck into the top of those clear strips on the front, or whether I'll need to replace them completely with some other light-strip thing. Any advice that anyone has would be appreciated.:D

17. craigbru

Thanks!

As far as the LED's go, it really should be as simple as swapping out the original LED's. The originals pull out without much difficulty, and as long as you can solder, you shouldn't have any problems. The only thing to double check, would be to make sure the LED voltage requirements were similar.

18. Bress

Bress What's a Dremel?

Thanks, I'll give it a go.
    Looking forward to the next installment of project Rogue...

19. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

Yes jokkos that's where I looked . They have the red one availible,the blue
    one will be back in stock by the end of the month.
    So .......... I really don't want the red one I would then be after the blue one.

But thanks for looking .........:thumb:

Alan

20. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

ahum found another one
    link
    in stock and cheaper
    ;)

(sorry for the thread-hijacking)

Last edited: 13 Mar 2008
Tags: