1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress G5 Sacrilege update Jun. 15th a tale of two doors

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by jhanlon303, 14 Feb 2008.

1. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

HeXeN I don't think that HDD heat will be a problem . Back on paoe 2 of the log John mentioned using an SSHD to save space as he has some of them ...........

Alan

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

The rig plan is mini-itx with 4Gb SSHD for Linux (Damn Small Linux or Puppy) engineering samples from China I have that plugs directly into IDE connector on the board. No HDD for noise or heat. The slimline DVD is going in just to fill the front slot and make the Apple door open and close.:D

I wasn't going to use those 4omm fans for real they are CPU coolers from the bit box. I was more interested in the 2 circular openings to "keep the look" but scaled down. I have seen some cool looking VGA cooling fans. I have a pure copper one from CompUSA - when they used to carry stuff for us - that has the fan and some copper RAM heatsinks.

John

3. jhanlon303

Damn, you type quick!
    John

4. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

I\m sorry John ... my brain is on holidays :/ i ve got to sleep more. Again sorry that i forgot about that SSHD.. but still 120mm look s cool :p for me

5. jhanlon303

I could cut another optical slot in the fron and mount 1 fan in back. Really tease the Macaholics into thinking I cut up the Mac Pro case:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    John - with the evil grin

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I think you would have better luck undervolting the 1" thick 40mm case fans, (although I've never tried it myself...)

7. theAlien

This fan would look pretty good inside the midget if you can get it
    or something like it:

the Specs : Akasa AK 161 BL-S Cool Blue Fan
    40x20mm
    6.27 CFM
    23.46 dB(A)
    2x Hi-bright LEDs

the fan :

[​IMG]

Mod them [​IMG], make them run on 5 or 7V and you won't hear them

just me thinking out loud again.............[​IMG]

Alan

Last edited: 17 Mar 2008
  8. Fyve

Fyve What's a Dremel?

That is the tinniest fan I have ever seen! Great project log by the way, looks awesome!

9. jhanlon303

Thanks for all the replies. I was just brainstorming the "G5 look" with the fans. I'll do something creative as soon as I update my MicroFly innards again so that I have a daily driver. Using my lady/wife/best friend's laptop again:waah:

I actually had the 10 outlet APC power bus blowing sparks during the non-storm we just had in Denver. Only designation I can find is AP9562. I worried about my 37" TV/monitor but watching Transformers tonight it appears all the inputs work.

By the way, there is a chrome yellow Ironhide running around Westminster, Colorado. It is as big as a small school bus. 4 50 gallon gas tanks, GMC 4500 4 door cab with full bed and 4 wheel drive and duallies. Sweet ride for the entirely too rich.
    That's why Transformers tonight.

John

10. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

WooW

a bit off Topic
    [​IMG]

but transformers is a good film...

Back to topic...
    Hmm Alien this tiny Akasa Fan is so ugly becouse it is sooo tiny :D huh - undervolting a small fan can be a fun ... low RPM, no sound .. almost no air pushed thru it :) but nice

i don't understand people who are undervolting their CPUs - agian off topic

11. theAlien

@HeXeN ..... Yes true ......... I think all 40mm fans are ugly ......... and I will never
    have to use one either , but in John's case I would use them just to keep the scale .
    And then I would probably end up with the Akasa or something like it because it
    looks a lot better (leds) than normal flat (10mm) black ones .........

Alan

12. jhanlon303

@Hexen - That's the truck.

Back on topic - I really wish I could find a couple 40mm aluminum fans like the 80 and 120s that people polish for their mods. I may have to find the best looking ones I can and /cough paint /cough them silver to match the G5 fans. I'll probably never turn them on but they will "look" right.

John

13. theAlien

14. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

this way of thinking is great... John if they won't be used you can paint them and also the can be dead :) i know your skills of finding goood bargains :) shooping time :) scale scale... power plug hole is not in scale :p for now :)

15. jhanlon303

Simplest of things

Spent the day trading emails with the really nice people at Performance-PCs. I have two of these coming:
    SilenX Fan Ixtrema Pro IXP-11-14 40x40x10mm
    The 5 CFM ones are more G5 looking than the other one. Sleeved in black by the way.

My MicroFly daily driver has been acting up. Careful debugging techniques and a couple W.A.G.s later I realized that when the trains went by or the neighbor cranks up his one ton dually the house quivers. So I jiggled, pushed and prodded on the case until I found the fault - the reset button wiring got "squeezed" between the front plastic bezel and the internal metal frame. Guess what - bare wire. I was wondering why it reset instead of shutting down.
    $$ for new PSU wasted but I have a /cough couple /cough cases around here that might need a redo in the near future.
    Now my lady wife Marilyn has her laptop to herself (I hate IE7 anyway) and I am back to modding. Need to get the holes and mesh ready for the new rear fans and yes the power cord hole is too big and not in scale. The little door opening handle/latch thingy is also too big for scale. This thing nags at me constantly - f"fix me", "No fix me first", repeat forever.
    John

16. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

Hey John ... i don't think that this plug hole is ugly or something, some thjings in my opinion can be rescaled,. When resizing this case main part of good scale job has been done, you did it great but why to kill oyurself for those tiny pieces? fans ok will look great. Plug hole? i would leave it to many work for such a tiny effect.. \

I know i know i'm lazy bast... sometimes :)

Regards
    HeX...

17. jhanlon303

Why mod at all:D I'm having the most fun I've had in several years just doing this mod. :rock: I don't have a deadline and I have only 2 or 6 mods in the wings to work on. Back to "One of One" my Borg mannequin some of you have seen pictures of, the $2 Cooler Master HTPC case is saying "Feed Me", my lady wife Marilyn wants me to get some perforated metal and aluminum and build "Blasphemy" the G5 paper holder for the bathroom. What did I forget? Oh, there are two more G5s I haven't touched but people want to buy them.
    Sitting in one room modding really beats sitting in one room felling sorry for myself.

/Off topic - I went to a modding site in Poland today and there were some sweet mods there - a PC in a barrel, a Steampunk PC. It was neat! Couldn't read a word, but the pictures spoke to me /Back on topic
    John

18. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

yes that\s nice that you want to mod and mod :) toilet paper holder heh that will be nice one :)... no sleep is getting me more and more lazy... but i will have few days off soo time to modd on :)
    off topic - nice that you were looking for mods from poland :) steampunk hmm can you send me link to this photo on PErsonal MEssage? i think that i know what you are talking about - barrel and few more were at last modding contest in Gdansks- i was there with my TFL :) but there were unfair moves from side of few contestanst ... no comments ;/

bac k to topic - i can't wait what you will do next :)
    greetz

19. theAlien

good choice getting the smaller/flatter fans .......... I think that they will look great
    when mounted..........:thumb:

Alan

20. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Keep in mind John that Silenx spindles are notorious for 'spitting' oil when first fired up because they're really not very good fans TBH, so make sure you pre-run them outside the case beforehand to get them cleaned out. They do look good when running though.

Tags: