1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows Vista SP1 is available for download

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Mar 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. huddy

huddy What's a Dremel?

I installed SP1 last night and my X-FI sound card is causing it to blue screen every time I boot. The only way I can get it to boot is to take the card out. At least neighbours are happy.

3. moshpit

moshpit What's a Dremel?

I've been using RTM SP1 now for a month. Runs butter smooth and has been problem free. Everything working great here.

4. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Tried to DL it yesterday but Windows Update wasn't having any of it, "Error Code 80073712" (or something like that, ill double check when i get home) anyone else been having this problem?

On another note, anyone else had problems like Huddy or found it to be brilliant like Moshpit?

5. Laitainion

Laitainion What's a Dremel?

I've got Vista SP1 on an OEM DVD (Ultimate 64bit) and have been running a (less than legal) 'trial' of Vista for 3-4 months before that. However, I only install Vista SP1 (from clean, new motherboard etc.) yesterday so it's a bit early to tell for sure. However, like huddy I have an X-Fi but haven't had any problems with it.

So far the biggest change I've seen is that now drivers *have* to be signed, so I can't run speedfan anymore, although I can live with it. No crashes, blue screens or anything as of yet though, but then my general experience of pre-SP1 Vista though was quite similar and it does feel a bit nippier, but I have also just upgraded so it's a bit hard to quantify.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i've been using RTM SP1 for aggeeeessss. no problems at all :)

although dxdiag still says DirectX 10, not 10.1. can anyone using this offical release confirm that it's Dx10 on your machines?

7. quack

quack Minimodder

Dxdiag will say DirectX 10 not 10.1.

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i don't like that.

9. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

I'll probably wait 'till bit's comparison to update, or maybe do it now...mehh..

10. The cheapskate

The cheapskate One custom title before Matty

So is it safe to install?

11. BigPoppaJNutZ

BigPoppaJNutZ Beyond the Dremel...

I will have to try it out tonight. At least it's just the laptop that uses Vista.

THX

12. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Not sure how this happened, but I've got the same setup as you and speedfan is running happily under SP1... I have made some changes that go a bit deeper than UAC, can't remember what they were, but it seems there must be a manual setting around somewhere to allow unsigned drivers

13. EmJay

EmJay What's a Dremel?

Hm, I see where this is headed...

'Vista sucks!'
    'SP1 should cure that!'
    'There are still some issues!'
    'Vista sucks!'

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

:eyebrow:

15. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

EmJay, don't talk about things you don't know know about. PLEASE!

SP1 via Windows Update worked fine for me, Windows boot/shitdown is faster, and I see a LOT of minor and major issues fixed. No driver caused me problems.
    In fact I see a slight increase in performance in my games. I think it's just like 1 fps bellow XP, does it really mater 1fps less?!? If you do see the difference then you have nothing to do with the settings set in the game, and should be reduce... cause a game a 2fps is not fun. And going with sideshow effect with your games, Windows slideshow thingy is way more fun.

I thing Vista is perfect the way it is, no need for an other service pack... I mean for sure their will be always bug all in ALL OS in this planet, as long that it is made by a human.

16. Syx

Syx What's a Dremel?

Whilst I think that SP1 was a big improvement, I dont think calling Vista "perfect the way it is" is correct just yet!
    I'm yet to test out some things that I was hoping for an improvement with (network file transfer being one of them) but I'm sure that there are plenty more things to be fixed before we can call it perfect.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No, I think Enjay is pretty spot on. That is where this thread is headed.

18. feldm4n

feldm4n What's a Dremel?

I have been installing SP1 on a ton of customer PC's. I even updated my 64 bit edition with it. I did this weeks ago though. I have to admit I really do like Vista. Sure it is a memory muncher but overall it is very stable once you get it stable with whatever you have in your PC. I hate to say it but I have had less problems with Vista then XP. I feel once Microsoft irons out the kinks everyone will go running to it and forget all about the disastrous start for Vista. Here is a simile for you... it's like Counter Strike 1.6 vs. Counter Strike Source. EVERYONE bagged on CS:S but funny how everyone rotated over to it and it became a crazy hit all of the sudden. I went to a LAN event and me and one other guy were the only people playing it out of 100 people. Every "hard core" CS1.6 player bagged on us playing it. I explained it is an awesome improvement and once they get hit boxes figured out with some other bugs all of you will switch. Same thing here. I install Operating Systems all day and troubleshoot. I love how Vista functions period.

Also to the talk about it being taken from OSX or whatever. Sure there are features that look the same to some extent but it is NOTHING like OSX. All in all give it a shot and if you can get it stable you will see how great of an operating system it will be. Keep in mind EVERY company ships products with software bugs. My cousin works for Adobe. We had a conversation about it because he is a coder. He says EVERY product that ships has over 3,000 bugs. Microsoft isn't the odd man out.

Give Vista a shot :thumb:

One more thing remember that XP is going into SP3 territory. Don't bag on Vista because it has had one service pack update.

19. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

scanning the thread i can only see one or two people complain.... and not in the way Enjay says and not like when the OS came out....

20. Malvolio

Malvolio .

I still fail to see the problem with vista pre-sp1. Haven't had a system crash since installing it almost a year ago on my main-room pc and my lappy.

Rather, I've found it to be more stable than any other OS I've ever used. Period. To be honest, I don't even bother with updates anymore, I'm too lazy I guess.

Always get a kick out of people who hate vista coming over and using my system. They bitch and bitch about the interface, and how poor it is, stating some non-sense about how it'll crash before anything opens. But then something amazing happens: nothing. It just works, gets the job done, and nothing goes wrong. Then I get a phone call the next day because their xp machine crashed while printing off a spreadsheet, and is now spouting fire and saying bad things about their mum.

Or maybe it's just that I'm not a complete **** when it comes to setting up and maintaining a computer. Guess we'll see after my pc has sat turned on for 5 months straight without a single update while serving as a media hub, websurfing machine, gaming rig, and network storage.

Ah well, each to their own.

Tags: Add Tags