1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Modding Tools FAQ?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Stuey, 20 Mar 2008.

?

Would a "modding tools" FAQ be a worthwhile endeavor?

1. Yes - I definitely think that people would benefit from it

52 vote(s)
    96.3%
  2. No - I think that you'd be wasting your time

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Okay, here's the deal. I'm considering writing up a modding tools FAQ and have a considerable number of points to write about already. I was wondering if you guys could help me out and let me know about which tools and accessories you would like to know about. Similarly, are there are any tools that you struggled to learn about when you were a beginner?

My desire to do this came from seeing that a lot of new modders are also young and somewhat inexperienced. For example, a lot of new modders try to make straight cuts in acrylic using a power tool instead of a plastic scribe, a lot of modders are clueless regarding proper safety equipment such as respirators, and some beginner modders try to drill through stainless steel with black oxide drill bits, no center punch, and no cutting fluid, just to name a few.

So, please vote as to whether you think a modding tools/accessories FAQ would be a worthwhile endeavor, and let me know what you might like to see written about in there.

Thanks,

Stuart

2. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

Is that for the score-n-snap method?

3. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Deffinately, sounds like a very useful resource for those who are new to the scene!

RwD

4. Stuey

Yep, plastic scriber/scorer.

5. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

Just wondering, because in the very few cases I've seen this method mentioned in case mod articles, it seemed people didn't like the quality of the edge it makes.

6. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

I sure wouldnt bend somthing i just bought till it snaps off. I understand that you score it first, but i would rather just cut it. Call me a noob, but i just do. Although, i use a table saw instead of a dremel.

7. Stuey

Of course the score-and-snap method works better for thinner panels. For larger planels, a powered cutting tool is preferred. But for a thin panel, all that's usually needed is a quick swipe with a deburring tool.

My intent is to focus on the tools themselves, rather than technique. Different types of hand nibblers (post people end up buying the highly advertised cheap & crappy kind), deburring tools, which drill bits to use and when, the concept of center punching, the reason why a ball pein is used instead of claw hammers when driving a chisel, things like that. Cutting alum. with a miter saw, which router blades are least hazardous to use on plastic, what a pin punch is used for.

Hmm, maybe even a Wiki? I know that bit-tech toyed with the idea of hosting a wiki, but somehow it fell through a while back.

8. Stuey

Cast plastic is relatively brittle and can be scored and then snapped in a similar way as glass. You score it a few times to remove material and to provide the beginnings of a crack. If you support the plastic sheet, say on a sharp table edge with a wooden board above it to hold it stead, and apply uniform pressure to the portion of sheet hanging over the table, a huge crack will propagate through the remaining depth of the plastic sheet. There is the chance that the crack will drift a bit horizontally, but when you're dealing with a 3mm depth, the error is negligible. The crack propagates vertically, and if you used a straightedge to score the sheet, the result is a perfectly perpendicular smooth edge.

Now of course if you REALLY want a smooth edge, there's always laser cutting. A lot of modders are on the younger side and don't have the need or finances for a table saw. Like I said though, I'd focus on the tools and not the techniques. I'm only saying that there are too many modders who jump in and think that the only tool that could be used for the job is a dremel.

9. Squadexodus

Well, i vote you should. Might help my sorry butt from getting hurt so much...

10. karolis

karolis Code Monkey

Absolutely. :thumb: The more info there is, the better results beginners and experienced modders can acieve :)

11. Squadexodus

Im lucky enough that my dad wood works, so i have access to a router, a tablesaw, a band saw, and all sorts of fun stuff.

12. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I'll contribute. I have a stash of tool pictures from several posts.
    John

13. swift_wraith

swift_wraith I love you Pig.

has anyone had experience of the sawing type drill bits? was considering using one of them in a electric drill mounted under a workbench pointing upwards as an impromptu router.

14. Stuey

That creates a potentially dangerous situation, and at the very least can damage your drill.

Sawing bits, aka rotozip types bits and the such, are intended for tools collets that can support horizontal forces. Drill chucks, on the other hand, are designed to support forces parallel to the axial direction of drill bits. Long story short, use the right bit with the right tool.

For an impromptu router, pick up a Dremel router accessory if you have a rotary tool, a rotozip, or a *cheap* router such as the Bosch Colt.

Plus, most drills are not capable of providing the rpms necessary for sawing type bits to work as intended.

15. Fyve

Fyve What's a Dremel?

Yes please!! There are not enough good tutorials about tools for people who want to start modding like me. It would be much appreciated.

16. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

If it is, we can chip in..

17. Stuey

You guys still aren't telling me which tools you think should be addressed!!

Should I cover basic hand and power tools in addition to certain modding-specific tools?

I don't plan on doing this within the next two months or so though - my time is VERY constrained now. But, I wanted to poll you guys on the topic now because I'm trying to consider if such an endeavor would be worthwhile both time wise, and financially (if I decide to pay for hosting).

18. Fyve

Fyve What's a Dremel?

How about threading holes through different metals/plexi? Like a tap and die set. I cant find any good articles on tapping holes. Also what makes a good tap die set? I heard that tapping aluminum doesn't work to well since the threads eventually come undone... so how do you avoid this? I hope your able to pull of the guide, it would be real useful to me.

19. Stuey

That's more technique than FAQ. For tapping holes, the most important thing you could do is learn from experience. Buy a few cheap sizes initially and work through it until you get the hang of it.

I haven't really tapped aluminum too often, so the follow comments are speculative. I'd imagine that since aluminum is a very soft metal, frequent fastener driving and removal may cause some wear and tear on the threads. Using some locktite or assembly grease might ease things up a bit and reduce damage on the threads.

Many bike frames are made of alum these days and some have fixed steel inserts to help reduce damaging the alum. Similarly, you don't tap plastic in which frequent driving and removal of fasteners are anticipated since it will accelerate the thread-wearing process. In that case, brass inserts may be used, as are used in AC Ryan's "cube corners", and as was shown in a project log recently To tap plastics, an oversized pilot hole and patience can help reduce the problems one will experience.

Okay, adding "tapping and thread forming" to the list. To start off, cheap components and a good tap wrench and die holder is a good idea. It's more economical to break cheap taps, and when you're just starting out, you will break some taps.

20. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

I'd go for pretty much every sort of tool that might be useful, but split up into sections (power, hand, modding specific) etc. If you want any help with it, feel free to give me a pm

RwD