1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Rogue (NZXT Rogue SFF) It lives! Aug 13, '08

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigbru, 28 Feb 2008.

1. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

I promise I won't say a word! These little systems are great. So many places you could tuck one of them! This may be my first Via system, but it's certainly not going to be the last. Mod on? You got it! :dremel:

2. craigbru

Another day, another update! I've got a few different things I've been working on, so I'll get right to it.

Of all the things I need to get done, I decided to work a little more on the motherboard tray. Since the laptop DVD drives are IDE, I thought I'd take a little time to work on hiding the IDE cable.

Here I've marked out the motherboard tray for the slot I need to make.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the slot cut in the motherboard, I thought I'd work on getting those DVD drives covered up. So, I've marked out a piece of aluminum, and it's ready for cutting.

[​IMG]

The piece is cut and ready for the brake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cover fits like a glove...

[​IMG]

3. craigbru

Now that the DVD drives have a cover, I need to make a mount for the Meanwell PSU. The Meanwell unit will sit right above the DVD drives in the front of the case.

As with everything else, I've marked out where I need to cut, and make my bends.

[​IMG]

A little dremel work, and it's all cut out.

[​IMG]

Time for the brake!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking good!

[​IMG]

4. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

I'm interested to see how this Meanwell PSU does, and how it does it.
    Otherwise, bloody brilliant job you have done with that brushed aluminum.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Ah, someone still using the awesomeness that is the T.E.C. Props to you sir :thumb:

6. craigbru

Thanks guys!

I know TEC has a few issues, the biggest being it's inefficiency, but I still love it. If you can fit watercooling, you can do TEC. The only other real option for subzero cooling is phase change. However, of all the stuff I can cram in a case this size, a compressor isn't one of them. In this (case), TEC was the best choice!

7. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Wow you've done a great job on all of the bending, all of those pieces came out great! I'm watching this topic closely :)

8. craigbru

Thank you. I owe most of this project to that brake. I can't imagine where I'd be without it. Next to my dremel, it's my favorite tool. :thumb:

9. craigbru

I've been playing around a little tonight... I haven't ordered the fan grills yet, so I've been trying to finalize my thoughts, and get exactly the look I wanted. While I was fairly happy with my original design, I've been feeling like it might be missing a little 'something'. That being said, here is one of my revised designs. What do you all think?

[​IMG]

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

the word 'rogue' needs to be centred, it looks wrong as it is, plus the top profile above the cut will be too weak, most likley to easily be broken.

11. craigbru

Maybe it's not showing up in the pic very well... actually, I don't think it is... but "L.O.S.I.A.S. TECHNOLOGIES" is written right below "ROGUE" Also, the lettering is etched, as opposed to actual cut holes. Does that help a little? I'll try to get a better screenshot up tonight. My bad. :duh:

12. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I like the design. As an alternative take on it, I just whipped up a really quick slight different setup based on yours.

[​IMG]

13. craigbru

Wow, I really like that! I'm kind of glad I haven't ordered anything yet... It definitely adds a whole lot more character and uniqueness to the panel. Man, I can't wait to get home and give that a shot in Front Panel Designer.

14. E.E.L. Ambiense

LOL. Cool. Glad to stimulate the creative juices..although that sounds, I dunno, kinda kinky. :hehe:

Man, you work outta Front Panel? Yeck, what quirky buggy software! Sorry, just used to pro design wares, I guess. I wish they'd add an ability import industry-standard vector files/objects and just add them to an already-started project. I have a panel I'd designed previously that I wanted to machine out of aluminum, but...well... you see where I'm going with that. LOL.

15. craigbru

Yeah, I appreciate the input. Sometimes another person's perspective can really make a difference.

FPD, isn't the greatest software, I'll admit. An import feature would be awesome! Although, I've imported HPGL engravings in the past. I semi-familiar with AutoCAD, and switching to the FPD software makes me realize how much it's truly lacking. Of course, I think it's decent enough for it's intended purpose. I seem to push it's limits. :thumb:

16. E.E.L. Ambiense

Yeah. I just wish they'd add the import feature. I mean, they have the HPGL engravings. How difficult would it be to just dump in a finished design already into the software so you can generate the estimate/etc?

Oh well.

Good luck, man!

17. craigbru

Well, until they implement importing, I guess we're stuck improvising designs with (normally) unnecessary steps....

Thanks for the well wishes! I'll see what I can pull off tonight.

18. craigbru

Well, here is the revision... This was a bit of a pain to do in FPD, and added a surprising amount to the cost, but I really like it. Thanks E.E.L.!

[​IMG]

19. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I spent a good many hours today looking at the L.O.S.I.A.S log on the "other" forum. Very clean. Now do this one as well and we will all be impressed. Stars are truly in order here folks.
    John

20. E.E.L. Ambiense

Hey. no problem bro. We're all here for different perspectives. :)

Funny, eh? Clunky software sucks. The mock-up I did took me literally 4 mins to set up on my end! :hehe: I wonder if I should shoot an email over to the Front Panel folks and see if they'll listen to reason. Maybe if enough peeps complain about the software they'll do something about it. The potential's there, it just needs nurturing.

Anyways, great to see this mod moving along so quickly and look forward to seeing the final results. And at your rate, that'll be in like 2 days! :hehe:

Tags: