1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project : Deuce

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Tech-Daddy, 24 Feb 2008.

1. skullen

skullen Minimodder

Great work on the acrylic,flame design is awesome :thumb:

2. Hardpetas

Hardpetas Spain Modder

Impressive work painting that carries this worklog, still well ten!

Greetings! I hope more progress!

3. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

Thanks everyone! Much appreciate the comments!

Took the day off from work today to celebrate the ol B-Day, and what better way, than to move ahead on the mod! ;)
    First thing up is that in order for me to get most of these bends proper, I build a wooden jig that I could heat the acrylic up on and not worry about damaginf the joints in the rad. Last thing I wanted to do was do something that caused joints in the rad to unsweat...

1st pic is the acrylic laying ontop of my wooden rad/bending jig:
    [​IMG]

Started heating the corners and applying even pressure to the side:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eyeballing the other side.....
    [​IMG]

And my first 4 bends are completed! YAY!!!! (wipes sweat)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow, I'll try to get the rad into the acrylic and see how sturdy this is, and what I need to do to get it mounted into the roof section. I've got a plan, I just have to see if it will work! ;)

I've still gotta finish the bends to see how well it attaches to the top of the case... I may end up having to remake this acrylic to a different dimension. If I have to do it again, then you can count on the fact that I will use a local water jetter to cut this (same person that did DST). Or else I will have to source a larger wattage laser cutter. I already have the sheet of acrylic ready if this does not turn out well, but I'm going to do my very best to make this work! I am certainly not going to waste all the effort that my friend put into cutting this!

Damn, I'm happy to have finally bent this stuff!

Oh yeah, and to pinpoint the heat, I used a propane torch. My heat gun was too broad. I needed pinpoint heat application to make sure I did not have unnecessary bowing and shift in the acrylic.

4. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

CRAZY!!! jaw dropper... i can't even find my jaw after looking at design !(i looovee flames :p) blue looks amazing!

5. badje

badje boni

Never saw this before, but it's friggin awesome.
    And the color of the acrylic is nice deep blue.

6. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Hot damn! Those flames are Freaking amazing!!!!

7. Tech-Daddy

Thank you everyone!

I bought a propane torch to flame polish the sides, and ended up using it to facilitate the bends, instead of using my heat gun! ;)
    I've still got a bit of work to do to get the rad to fit how I want, but we'll see how it works over the next few days!
    ;)

Thanks again!

8. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Gorgeous job on the flame work. This is gonna be hot!

9. Sheldog23

Sheldog23 What's a Dremel?

Nice work Tech. I'm glad those bends worked out so well. I hope the Rad fits and everything goes well for you from here!

10. Tech-Daddy

You and me both bro.... you and me both! :thumb:

I did some interpretive "test mounting" today to see how the frame responded.

Not even really a test fit, just an estimation of "where everything is going to go..."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rad will be sitting lower than this in order for the legs to have enough material to be integrated into the top of the case roof.

What I have come up with is that my initial thoughts of having the rad unit structurally supported from wrap under flame licks to the mid section and some encompassing end wraps to hold its front and back... is not going to work. I'll need to integrate the load bearing into each of the 4 "legs", which is likely to mean I'm going to fabricate some sort of support mechanism for the top and bottom of the rad and find a way to tie it into the legs.

When I rested the rad on top of the frame, it was easily supported, When I started suspending the unit the way I was planning on tying it all together, the little simulations had a lot of frame flex. So, I will find a way to tie in my support to the four corners. I've already got an idea... we'll see what happens!

11. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

That is just so cool looking! Saw your update Tech-Daddy, and it hit me, that would make a killer sled mod... can you imagine tearing up a snow-covered hill in a sled with a hot frame like that? heheh

12. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Finally an update! That's so frickin sick it's disturbing. Rock on brother keep it coming!

13. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

very good modding, your friend with the laser should post some projects here again. :nod: I haven't seen his work ever since he used that laser on wood.

14. Tech-Daddy

Hehehe... I have a couple of friends with lasers at their disposal. This one was a *different* friend than the wood etching buddy!
    ;)

Thanks everyone!

15. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

I may have said it before (I forget) but those are some sick flames. Nice bending work on it as well.

16. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

oh ok, does he do custom work by order?

17. MoRBiD

MoRBiD Minimodder

dude man that looks killer!
    Cant wait to see more!

18. Tech-Daddy

Good afternoon everyone! Midways through my vacation between jobs, I've gotten a lot done! Between prototypes and paint decisions, I'm feeling very good!

Reservoir brackets are prototyped. I used paper to get my measurements down. I wanted on solid piece of acrylic and, if my plans go accordingly, it will use 3 bends per end to make the reservoir brackets. There will be a few more alterations to the presentation, but they will eventually be screwed into the sides of the 5.25" bay area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My 5th, and final flame test. "Keep it Simple"... and I like it the most! Color is spot on!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was looping a flame strand under another lick, and I tried this... I got it 50% right! ;) I know what I did wrong and will correct it when I apply this same painting technique to the side panels!
    [​IMG]

Learned that I was pushing too hard on the blade when weeding my graphics of the excess tape... note to self, "GO EASY!"
    [​IMG]

Also, I am not giving up on the "true fire" style of painting, it's just taking a bit more practice than I was anticipating... but practice is good!
    ;)
    [​IMG]

19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The 'failed' trueflame flamejob would look cool with the sub from The Fantastic Journey painted into it. You have something of a neuron look going there.

20. Elio

Elio What's a Dremel?

Amazing stuff!!!
    The acrilic work is just so...:jawdrop::jawdrop:
    you have nerves of steel! i would have broken one...for sure...
    how do you to paint like that?
    those flames are real pro's work!:thumb:

Tags: