1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Lost Empire: Immortals

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 15 Mar 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

spelling error in the bit on the homepage, says work right this way :)

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I think I might have to get the Dune board game

4. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

reading this article made me REALLY miss the fallout series. There was a game that was squad and turn based too. It was "alien dunno-what". That was another good game...

Why don't they do nice turn based games (like the old FO) anymore?

This really break my heart....

5. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

just remembered the game's name (with lots of google effort):
    INCUBATION was it's name.

It has a score of 9.4 at this review in PC ZONE site:
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=3083

Ooooo and if don't have a 3dfx VOODOO card or better don't even think about playing it! ;)

6. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Was Masters Of Orion turn-based ? That one was a little before my day heh.
    Then there was Imperium Galactica was pretty big, though again I can't remember if it was strictly turn-based.
    Birth of the Federation if you can stand the slow-down in turn calculations as games progress. (wanted to love that one, but that one problem always got in the way of finishing a game)

And of course Stardock's Galactic Civilizations/II more recently.

7. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Alpha Centauri was a classic...

... and some people rave about Gal Civ II... but personally I thought it was dull.

I would love a new turn-based strategy to come out. I'll never tire of Civ IV but it would be nice for fresh blood - space-themed or otherwise.

8. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

Who needs turn based games when there is Sins of a Solar Empire to be played?!
    That game is fantaaaaastic.

9. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Two games that came to my mind right away are the already mentioned Gal. Civ. and Space Empires. Both are great in their own way but it is admittedly a niche market.

If you're going to link to info on a board game (almost any board / card / dice / ... game actually) BoardGameGeek is the place to go.

heh, I still play Birth of the Federation occasionally but even on modern hardware it can be surprisingly slow at times. I actually never played MoO but a quick search says it was turn based - and that one was Huge in its day.

I'd be happy to see almost any good modern turn-based strategy game especially if it used some of the innovations learned in RTS real-time-tactical/click-fest games (mostly in the interface).

No offence Joe, and thank you for the review, but I look forward to a review from someone who is into turn-based strategy. I could be wrong but I very much got the feeling you are not into this type of game. To me it's kind of like a Nascar fan commenting on an F1 race.

10. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

Hey Blade! I was going to just say... all the games you mentioned.

I just dusted off my Master of Orion 2 to get a nostalgic good day out of it and study the game design to see if it is still playable if graphics limitation is ignored. MoO is a turn base. Imperium Galactica was something i recalled as.. tedious repetitive battles. Don't like it.

Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor is on my list. Dark Avatar is a hoot, albeit a big buggy with earlier revisions.

There is this turn base abandonware called "Master of Magic" that works like Sid Meier's Civilization but in magic and spell. It was still enjoyable when i played it 2-3 months ago with DosBox emulation.

Also had a serious go with Heroes of Might and Magic V: Tribes of the East last week. I can say it is quite nice, but the game sticks too much to the formula.

Last edited: 16 Mar 2008
  11. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

If you couldn't think of one you couldn't have been thinking hard. MoO and MoO2 were classics of the genre. Been playing those since '97. MoO3 was more recent but astonishingly complex... just couldn't get into it because the GUI was infuriating.

12. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

It seems all the good turn-based space strategy games were before my time. I wonder is Masters of Orion 2 availiable on ebay...

Birth of the Federation was good enough in it's time but I got annoyed having to constantly fend off mobs of Federation ships while maintaining strong Klingon-Romulan realtions, none of the races played like they should and the borg tended to turn up and spoil the party a lot.

That said it's be nice to see a BOTF 2...

13. greywar

greywar What's a Dremel?

Ummm GalCiv2 is currently at #2 best selling PC game behind only COD4. I am not sure how the reviewer thinks this is somehow not making an impact.

14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

GalCiv2 wasn't out when I wrote this.

15. Bladestorm

You wrote this over a year ago ? :eyebrow:;):hehe:

I'm also quite curious what chart is being refferred to though, I don't see anything related in any charts, at least recent UK ones.

16. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Hm, I must be getting confused then - all I know is that the Beta Preview code for the GalCiv2 only appeared in the office last week...

17. Bladestorm

Thats probably the expansion pack then, Twilight of the Arnor ? (the original game is Dread lords and Is sat in a pile here somewhere as it has been for some time ;) )

18. Hertston

Hertston What's a Dremel?

I think he probably means Sins of a Solar Empire (the game Cadillac Ferd referred to), not GalCiv2. It's a '4X' and RTS hybrid published by Stardock, the developers of GalCiv 2. You won't see it in UK charts as (amazingly enough) they couldn't find a UK or Euro publisher... we don't like 'space games', apparently! :duh: I bought my copy direct from Stardock.

"Actually, it’s kind of weird that I can’t think of an example of a prominent turn-based strategy game set in space. It’s even weirder that neither of the two journalists sat next to me could either. The genre is undeniably crowded, I know that much, and there’s bound to be hundreds of games called Space Star General Slayer Super Duel II – but none of these games have really achieved success on a level that makes them a household name in the minds of gamers. "

Weird indeed, as MoO 2 and GAlCiv 2 are pretty much legendary titles among 'gamers' who know there is more to 'strategy' than base building, resource collecting and frantic button clicking. Really.... :eyebrow:

Tags: Add Tags