1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project MicroSuperFly by E.E.L. Ambiense - April 17th Pics

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by E.E.L. Ambiense, 18 Nov 2007.

1. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Thanks, brother! It's just an old rig I needed to get cleaned up.

Thank you!

:hehe: You're welcome, man. I'll snap more pics when I get the system ready to be put into it int he next couple days or so. Amazingly enough, after 2 years of constant use, it really wasn't that dusty! :rock:

2. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Outstanding work! I don't check the forums for a day, and I miss all the cool stuff! :thumb:

3. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks, man!

4. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I really like those Small factor cases. This one is really nice and has a nice work on it. but i really mis the worklog itself :)

cheers mate keep us informed';)

5. E.E.L. Ambiense

Finished Rebuild Update!

Okay. All done. Again. Got everything into the case. I placed a fill order with Performance-PC's yesterday morning and picked it up later on. I needed an AM2 CPU cooler among other things for a current/future build I'm mocking up right now, so I figured what the hell. Get this... this new board has only two fan headers on it. One for the CPU and one for case fan. Both are 4-pin PWM style connectors. I'm so not used to these types of connectors that I accidentally plugged the CPU fan into the other header. LOL. I was in BIOS and couldn't figure out why the heat was getting a bit toasty on the CPU, but didn't really think about it. Then I was tidying up the cable management and saw the CPU cooler wasn't spinning! Then as I figured out I was plugged in the wrong port, I yanked it and was in the middle of plugging it in when the thermal shutdown initiated. :hehe: Friggin' moron. But it's all fine now. CPU's chugging along at 36°; system's at 34°; HDD is at 35°; and....graphics card at 50°! Yes, I decided with the PSU overkill in there, I'd go ahead and shoehorn a full-size PCI-E card in there! :hehe: I had an extra 7800GT sitting around, and it just happened to be a blue-LED version cooler on it. It fit great!

[​IMG]

Check out the bend on the mobo PCB. :hehe:

[​IMG]

Cable management-wise, didn't have a whole lot of choices, so I zipped it up with the intention of keeping cables away from the CPU cooler's fan and minimize clutter/open airflow a bit. It's all secured, and it's fine to me. Besides, the case is under a desk on a printer cart, so it's not like I'm staring inside the thing 24/7.

Here's the case all buttoned up and installing OS/software. This new mobo and CPU is quite zippy for the speed! It's a 4000+, running at an astronomical 2.1 GHz. :hehe: Seriously, runs great, and with 2 gig's of RAM this time, it feels much better than before. I'm happy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's funny how this new flake blue changes color/tint with different angles. I love it! It's electric blue sometimes, then it's a lighter blue other times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...And with the lights off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final system specs:
    ECS AMD690GM-M2 mobo
    AMD AM2 4000+ 2.1 65w CPU
    Corsair 2GB DDR2 800 RAM
    Western Digital Raptor 74GB HDD
    Corsair 620HX PSU
    Samsung DVD-RW SATA drive
    Modded Sunbeam Rheobus fan controller
    BFG 7800GT VGA card

-----------
    Well, this sucka is all done for another couple years. Or until something craps out. Sorry about the pics if they're bad! And thanks again for lookin' in on 'dis! Thanks for da love too, all ya mofo's! SupahFlah!! :thumb:

6. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Thank you! I nagged and you listened. Now I have enough pictures of the real build to keep me happy:D
    But still you got no ceiling!
    John

7. E.E.L. Ambiense

;) You're welcome, John. But if you're looking at these pics to make you happy, I feel bad for you! :hehe:

And yeah; I got no ceiling because I'm in the middle of moddin' the building! :thumb:

8. jhanlon303

A million people in the Denver area and no has seen a MicroFly live! Every time I take mine anywhere is "Where did you get it, blah, blah." I just needed to see the inner panel for the fans and the front. I can live without the handle on mine. Hmmm?
    John

9. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

That looks seriously sweet. I love seeing SFF mods. My daughter has an older Shuttle box that I'm now getting the itch to mod... Thanks alot! :dremel:

10. E.E.L. Ambiense

:hehe:

LOL. I'm not big into SFFs, but I can appreciate them. I'm more of a full-tower with multiple loops kinda guy. :hehe: This was just a cheapy mod I did for the business more than anything else. And just to do it.

Thanks!

11. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Agree, this mod kicks major butt! Jeremy knows how to nail the details in his work.

I'm finally cracking my Microfly open this week. My A+ teacher has taken an interest in modding and wants to partner on a new project.. We're doing "The Simpsons" Tribute.. You would think it would be easy to brainstorm, but it hasn't been.

12. jhanlon303

Please, show us a log or put it in modding. Here, ModNation somewhere. It would be something to see with your skills and attention to detail. I wonder how many MicroFlys are out there quietly living out their $39.99 lives?
    John

Last edited: 25 Mar 2008
  13. E.E.L. Ambiense

Coming from you, Bill, that means something! Thanks, bro.

Man...a Simpson's based mod? On a Microfly? I am flat out of any kind of ideas, lol. I know you don't wanna hear that because everyone else is probably suffering from selective amnesia at the moment as well around the studio. :hehe:

I'm sure he'll log it at least at TMN. Everything he does gets cataloged! :hehe:

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Looks sweet! :D

15. jhanlon303

Did that come out right> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:D:D:D:D:D

Simpsons could be some interesting dial switch panel sort thingy from Homer's job? or the bar and the bowling alley.
    Bill, How a bout a cooling tower like at Monticello up north of you?
    John

16. TapperSwe

TapperSwe What's a Dremel?

Looks very cool ive never seen those cases in Sweden the metallic blue flake was a nice choice of color. One question, how do you get god pictures in dark? my camera goes crazy everytime i turn of the light and only gives me blurry pics with color stripes all over. Anyway congrats to a nice mod.

17. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks, mate!

LOL

Thanks, man!

Wow, I take good pics in the dark? Hahhahaa. Compared to what?! :hehe: I just adjust the camera's shutter to stay open longer than normal in the dark. I still don't get it right, but I'm also not a photographer. I use a cheap tripod also now. But the pics are sub-par at best to me. At least they're in focus now.

18. TapperSwe

TapperSwe What's a Dremel?

Compared to what i got yours look realy god, i cant get my camera to stay in focus in dark and the colors are everywherer but where they should be,i use a tripod to from 1965 lol. Ok thanks for the reply i will try again tonight.

Chers.

19. E.E.L. Ambiense

Bump for an old thread...

In testing out my new camera, I had taken some test-shots of the ole MicroSuperFly before she left my hands forever. I figured I'd go ahead and upload them for others to see & for posterity's sake. ;) Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. jhanlon303

Excellent camera work. I didn't know you still had yours. I have my removable MB tray and I think Sirocco still has one stashed.

You do realize that most of the newcomers and many of the 'old' timers probably won't realize what a massive improvement you have made to a $40 case. I hope it goes to a good home.

john- snowing for 12 hrs now

Tags: