1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Windows Vista SP1 gaming performance

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 25 Mar 2008.

1. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

from what I've read ms has shut down update downloads of vista sp1 because to many
    people were having trouble installing it and many that did install were having pc problems. also the university of Pensilvania did a study of sp1 and gave it a thumbs
    down. this doesn't surprise me it took 5yrs to develope vista and couldn't put a good
    product on the market so why would anyone think sp1 would be any better.myself I'm
    sticking to what works the best for gaming xp pro. why go to all the problems of vista
    when the next os will be out in 2010. what ms should have done is come out with xp
    second edition.

2. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan What's a Dremel?

3. boe_d

boe_d What's a Dremel?

4. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

"[if] my system runs slower - what is the point?"

Well you know that if you ran DOS on your current PC is would blow your f****** mind how fast it was. I'm not trying to be a dic* just trying to make a point. It's about the features, interface and your workflow. For me Vista makes sense. It's slower in certain points and definitely has it's negatives. But at the same time I love a lot of things about it. So it depends on what your priorities are.

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

We use a "worst case scenario" for just about all of our tests and we use a singleplayer mission, as stated in the game setup page.

6. boe_d

boe_d What's a Dremel?

7. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I was rather surprised to see a gaming performance review... There has been nothing coming out of Redmond to suggest that gaming performance was being tackled. I've not seen any articles or previews suggesting SP1 changes anything to do with gaming. And every SP1 feature list that I've seen doesn't mention any improvements that directly effect gaming. This article is a bit of a non-event.

I'm about to read the core performance review, and I'm expecting to read a review of note. I've had SP1 for 3 weeks during which time I've noticed to radical improvements in a few places, combined with a few disappointments. But to be fair to MS, SP1 has delivered most of what it claimed it was going to do.

What I'd like to see next is a roadmap for SP2 - and I'd like that SP2 to be akin to XP SP2 - almost like an upgrade with revamping of areas like UAC and re-engineering of key areas that will directly improve gaming. I'm not going to hold my breath though! :)

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

Thanks for your feedback - I understand what you're saying but both Nvidia and AMD have almost pushed Vista SP1 down our throats as a way to get 'the best gaming experience' in Windows Vista. We're moving to it anyway, so it felt like a worthwhile investigation to see if there are any improvements... even if nothing has really been documented.

9. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Let me assure you that NVidia and AMD (along with Creative and host of others) will be first against the wall when the revolution comes!

[I'm still trying to RMA and Xtreme Gamer card with Creative because the Mic doesn't work under Vista]

10. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

the update has all the updates up to march + 5-10 patches its only 69mb its installing (140mb unpacked likey)

11. willyolio

willyolio What's a Dremel?

i have to wonder about the choice of video cards for testing, though. both the 3870x2 and the 9800 GX2 are somewhat "experimental" in nature, have rather flaky drivers, and have widely variable performance from game to game, compared to the single-GPU cards.

i wonder if there's a more definite performance change in more established, mainstream cards like the 3870 and the 8800GT.

12. vaderag

vaderag I know what a Dremel is...

Well, i'm really p'd off... been on with Microsoft Tech support for 2 hours this eve - and they couldnt even fix the problem. I had little hope to be honest. Looks like i need to do a full re-install if i want SP1...
    I hate microsoft

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

:(

14. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Come to the dark side, embrace linux, we have cookies! :D

Tags: Add Tags