1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Looking for a 26" Monitor ...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vaderag, 22 Mar 2008.

1. vaderag

vaderag I know what a Dremel is...

...with Component and DVI in, and a price of <£500...

Anyone got any suggestions? Ideally, i'd get the Samsung 2693HM, but it doesnt come with Component in. Needs to have component in so that I can whack my Wii in easily.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Trouble is, a 26" with have a resolution of 1920x1200, which is the native resolution of a 24" monitor, so effectively you're just stretching the pixels on the screen by 2 inches... so why not save a bit of money and go for a 24"? There are also a lot more 24" monitors available with better inputs, such a component etc...

3. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

Yep, 24" is definitely the sweet spot for medium-biggish monitors, resolution-wise. You have to go up to 30" or down to 20" to get more pixels/inch.

4. vaderag

Surely it isn't going to make that much of a difference tho really? Is it?
    I was in the shop today looking at tv's (since they had no monitors above 24"), and it just seems that 26" is the best size to combine my Wii, TV and computer into one...

5. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

It's an individual thing. On the desktop I can really see the lower pixels/inch, and the graininess drives me nuts. If gaming was the primary function then it wouldn't matter so much I guess.

6. vaderag

I see... i guess gaming is the joint purpose. It is going to be a primary function, but alongside surfing and everything else...

7. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

8. vaderag

Yeah, i'd been looking at that - seems to get mixed reviews tho, and i think 28" may be just a little bit TOO big... I don't know... :waah:

9. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

Seen an advert for a major retailer doing a 40" screen for just under £500. Probably currys or pcworld.

10. vaderag

Not a monitor tho is it?

11. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

It's Argos.

I like my Dell 27" - still 1920x1200, but it doesnt look stretched. Great quality infact.

12. Rege

Rege What's a Dremel?

If you insist on 26 inches, perhaps you want to try this monitor:

Samsung T260HD

For now, available in germany only, but I think it is going to be available on the Isles soon.

Cheers

13. vaderag

Now my friend, we are talking :)
    Trouble is, i bet it'll cost closer to £1000 then £500 when it eventually makes it over here :(

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Ugh, could we drop this nonsense please? A bigger screen is a bigger screen. Would you rather have a 32" 1080p screen or a 50"? It's not like you're upsampling a lower resolution signal and making everything blurry. If you're noticing a huge difference between the DPI on a 24" and a 26", unless they're side by side, you're sitting too close.

15. Rege

Rege What's a Dremel?

I doubt it ;) According the price on prad.de (IMHO the best site around monitors on the web) the T2600HD model will cost less than 400 Euro. Unfortunately the price is yet unconfirmed, but hey: it has a TN panel so the price should be at least competetive.

An generally, there are no huge differences in prices in the European Union - roughly they cost the same, no matter which European currency we are using.

Well, I wish we had american prices (Samsung 245t UK: 680 pounds, US: 700$) :(

16. vaderag

If it's that price, i'll have one :)
    Fingers crossed it is!

17. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

Neither, because we're talking about monitors not TVs. Either one will look like grainy **** unless you're sitting 5 feet away. Which is fine for gaming but not if you're actually doing anything productive.

18. vaderag

Everywhere i read says this monitor should be available worldwide from March, and I can't actually find it anywhere... Anyone got any news?

19. Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost What's a Dremel?

See if you can find a Hazro 26" lcd. It has an IPS panel, and it's around £500.

20. vaderag

The Hazro seems to get relatively average reviews - on a par with the 28" Viewsonic... added to the fact that i can't find one, i think that's ruled out :(

There's a 26" Samsung around that doesnt have Component - is there any way to get the Wii's component converted into HDMI?

Tags: