1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PSU - Anyone heard of iCute?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GenerationX, 29 Mar 2008.

1. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

It comes with a 3 year now? Back in the day, it used to be 1 year. I'd still not recommend it, for reasons below

I love that rule. Let's make it official :idea:

The OCZ will work, but it's not a good choice; The ripple has been tested to exceed multiple times: [H]ard|ocp tested the 1010w ocz, it didn't do 1010w and was well on it's way to exceeding the spec. The JonnyGURU review showed the 700, the 600, and the fsp epsilon to exceed the spec, in addition to that the 80mm version of it having even worse ripple with a recap, since it's a design issue and not a flaw with an individual psu; In addition to that, FSP rates the Epsilon platform as 200mv of ripple; atx spec is 120.

Overclock3d does not show the testing methods; If they used a system, their ripple measurements will be off. A system pwm is designed to filter ripple. That's also the fault of xbitlabs test; pre-filtered ripple measurements. You have to measure it from the load, hence the bnc connector on the back of a proper load tester.

If I'm buying a 700w psu, I damn well better be getting 700w out of it. If I could only get 500w out of a 700w psu before it was exceeding atx spec, then why not just buy a 500w psu to begin with?

I still don't recommend the liberty. The build quality is decent (it won't take stuff up if it goes), the ripple and voltage fluctuations aren't bad, and it's quiet. But, given how plenty have died just after 1 year, and that it's terribly expensive for what you get (The 620 has 36a, combined, for $130 on newegg. The Corsair VX450, for merely $60 on newegg, offers 33. The $80 VX550, 41 amps. In terms of modular psu's, the HX 520 has 40a for $110. The 620, for $140, offers 50a. See where this is going?

2. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

I have had experience with a couple 400w Enermax Liberties that kicked the bucket. That's why I stick with Corsair now.

3. CobraMods

CobraMods Gettin there slowly

4. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Anyone want to recommend me a PSU? putting together a new-ish system so I can get back into gaming, and take my sorry behind to the i-series events.

As it stands:

CPU: e2160 1.8 GHZ
    Mobo: Giga GA-P31-DS3L
    RAM; 4 Gb (most likely 4x1, two sets of matched sticks) DDR2 PC2-6400
    HSF: Asus Silent Square Pro
    Graphics: 256 Mb XFX 8800GT (with potential for SLI down the line if I upgrade the board)
    HDD: Most likely a 120 for OS and a 750 for data
    Optical: DVD and DVD+/-RW

Gonna be running XP most likely, but want to have enough oomph for Vista if I have to/decide to upgrade

If you can help me, I'd be mighty grateful. Gonna overclock the 1.8 to around 3 GHz, and clock the memory up a bit as well.

Trying to decide what case to put the whole package in and how to power it! Any idea what the minimum I'd be looking at PSU-wise? My layman's guesstimate would be 550w, maybe 600w?

Cheers,

Joe

5. nigelleg

nigelleg What's a Dremel?

Corsair HX 620 should be spot on?

6. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

A corsair HX 520W would do that no probs

I had an enermax blow up back in the day and it did take something with it: my then top-of-the-line A8N32-SLi. I was gutted and haven't even looked at an enermax since. After reading nothing but good about Corsair PSUs and having used them in around 6 systems that I've personally built (as well as 3 in my house) I can't recommend them enough.

Last edited: 5 Apr 2008