1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a PC $900/£450

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MikeTitan, 1 Apr 2008.

1. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

Haven't been here in a while, but I'm thinking it's about that time for a new PC, or at least some new parts. What my main focuses will be on are:

• Mobo
    • CPU
    • RAM
    • Case
    • PSU

I am looking into running Vista, and would like to sit at at least 4GB of Ram. Had some ideas but I've been out of the game for a while, and was wondering if people knew any good products to fit this profile that would help me come in under the $900 range.

Thanks in advance,

~Mike

/edit: Just realized how old my hardware specs are in my signature XD

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We did a £400 PC for a planned article once - we based it around a basic P35 Gigabyte board and an Intel E2140, on the condition it was heavily overclocked. It was only with 2GB of memory but you could fit in 4GB DDR2-800 C5 and an OEM 9600 GT/HD 3850. PSU - best we could find for the price was a 450W Corsair VX between the hoards of cheap ****.

3. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

^^ that would have been things I would suggest. P35 Definitely, for overclockability and price, couple with the cheap pentium dual core. At that budget, the 4GB isn't necessary but if it can be afforded then it's a nice luxury. I recently used the VX450 in a build for a friend and really liked it. The case is always up to you but there are some decent cheap ones around. The Coolermaster CM690 isn't much over £50, nice looking and nice build quality.

4. MikeTitan

I'm wondering if anyone is currently running Vista and would you know if it runs decently with 2GB? I'm not looking for a monster, just something that will be a bit more future proof then what I have. (Lofty goal I know).

As well, I'm wondering if 450w will be enough, with a newer PCIe VC and 2 HD's raided and a new CPU is it going to be able to power things properly?

/edit: Also wondering about cooling, will a normal fan for Intel work for keeping it cool or so I'd look into getting a newer fan/HS?

Last edited: 1 Apr 2008
  5. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

I only have 1gig in my rig and an AMD X2 3800 and vista ran fine for me. I use ran as i'm currently at home on my crappy lappy and when i get back to uni the PC is getting a major overhaul.

And to the bit-tech staff why was the £400 PC article canned? Would have been a great place for people to start with their first taste in PC building.

6. DaveVader

yes to both of those i believe.

The 450watt is fine 100%. Vista should be fine on 2GB

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Staff resource - it's why we're keen to get another member in asap. I've got over a dozen reviews pending personally and several of which are "urgent".

8. DaveVader

by which you mean you want to play with some sexy new hardware?

9. MikeTitan

Sweet, good eyes people, went with some of those suggestions, even with a bit beefier things like the E6420 and 550W Corsair and looks like it still comes in under $800.

Thanks for the help everyone!

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

By which means it should have been done 6 weeks ago.