1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ubisoft comes to Steam

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Apr 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

awesome, but didn't they already have some games on steam? dark messiah's been on there for ages, and that was published by ubisoft. mind you, they built that game using the source engine, maybe thats part of the deal when you use it

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

It's only in North America.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Booo... More games to tempt me in the Steam list... :(

5. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I think all games in one place is largely a good thing, even if you're tied into one company. Steam isn't too bad, let's hope they don't let us all down by abusing the monopoly.

6. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

I've been a fan a steam for a while now and can only say the more the merrier when it comes to games availiable. Steam also has the advantage of games working in Vista, I had no amount of issues getting The longest Journey running, downloaded in Steam and worked off the bat. Good on them so long as the servers can keep up with demand.

7. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

What about the Prince of Persia series? Is there a list of the games concerned somewhere?

8. darklord of chaos

darklord of chaos What's a Dremel?

great

I think more games companies should use steam as it is reliable and unlike itunes if you have to reinstall your system as long as you know your U/N and password you can get your games back it is everything EA's download manager is not I got medal of honor airboure & cysis via that and know ea link won't work properly, can't play the game can't re-install the games/patches in short it sucks, but steam is good nice move ubisoft.

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

as long as it is cheaper....

10. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Couldn't agree more...

11. DougEdey

So all of you are supporting region restricted gaming?

Wow.

12. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

Steam has some great deals at times. Prey was just $5 over the weekend. For $5 I could not pass it up. Get all the Unreal games for $60! I love Steam. The bundles are awesome and I never have to look for a disk or a CD key. I am even considering buying games I already have just for the convenience.

13. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

My problem is with Steam is non Valve games tend to be a lot more expensive.

Call of Duty 4, is about $82 at the momemtn in the UK, which works out at £42, yet buy it in a shop costs only £30. So why when you are cutting out box product, reducing shipping costs, manufacturing costs does it still cost more than in a shop?

IF the games were cheaper or the same price as retail then I would get a lot more games on steam

Kimbie

14. DeSean

DeSean What's a Dremel?

Actually CoD4 is a bit cheaper than that, but the point is the same. Downloads should be cheaper than games bought in a shop.

And yes I'm astounded that bit-tech is reporting this without mentioning that it is not available in the UK, which makes me sick frankly. This is 2008 on the internet, if something is available to one country then it should be made available to all if it is technically feasible to do so.

15. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

I'd glossed over the North America only bit tbh, too much to do at lunch I guess.

There is no excuse for region restrictions in this day and age I and personally don't see the point in them restricting their consumer base like this. Whilst I support the digital distribution idea and convenience of Steam's system, the fact that I can't access a large chunk of the product base is annoying. :wallbash:

16. koajoe

koajoe PC Gaming master race!

Maybe this is not a Valve decision? If I owned game "X" and only wanted to release it in region 1 then it is my right as the owner. Granted this sucks, but still.

Maybe they do not have the broadband support in place to simultaneously release to Europe/ Uk at the same time.

From what I heard: Steam in Europe/ Uk sucked longer than it did in the U.S.

17. Eloquence

Eloquence The cake is a lie!

For North America only, boooooooooo. Damn Ubisoft. This reeks as much as the Activision price hike for Australian Steam users only. Maybe that's why this is for North America only. To protect the local stores who sell their games at a much higher price.
    Or maybe because of distribution agreements?

18. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I want to get Prey, but it's not available here in NZ through Steam. I would be tempted to get Assassins Creed if I could get it on Steam for a decent price.

19. DougEdey

It's a decision by Ubisoft, Valva have Steam working the way they want it now (look at id).

Tags: Add Tags