1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What one of your Teachers Last had a major flip out at you or the whole class ?

Discussion in 'General' started by ThatGingerGuy, 2 Apr 2008.

1. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

My parents would laugh themselves silly, as would I, epecially considering I'm 37!!!

The point I was making is; just because someone is given that position, does not automatically make them worthy of being given respect.

As to:

Why should they respect the title rather than the person?

Some of my teachers, back when I was at school, (you know when we rode the dinosaurs to the school, which was held in a cave with a fire around, in which we all sat and learned to bash two rocks together) :) were given a serious amount of respect both in and out of the school. Not because they were better liked, (though they generally were,) but because they got you to think for yourself and learn, as well as treating you like an adult.

You treat a kid like a brainless chav, then nine times out of ten they will act like one. Treat them like a young adult they will either screw up - in which case its their own fault - or they will act like a young adult, in which case they give the teacher the respect he/she has earned and is then due.

On a side note, no person should ever take EVERYTHING without question. That's how mistakes are made. Teachers need to teach children how to think for themselves, to ask questions about the wider world. By stating they must accept something without question at that critical stage of their lives, is to inherently cripple them for life.

Last edited: 2 Apr 2008
  2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

They shouldn't. They should respect the fact that this person is spending a lot of time to teach and improve these kids.

3. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

Theres lots of cases at my school where the teacher just walks out.
    They will usually go and get a more senior teacher to help though.
    There have been cases where people have made the teacher cry. Personally i take no part but cant help but chuckle at some of the statements coming out of peoples mouths.

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

We have serious problems in our school system at the moment, and most if it relates to student attitudes towards the teaching staff.
    I agree that if a teacher treats you with respect it's a much better situation than one who doesn't, but that's not what we are talking about, there are a great number of kids who don't deserve that respect in the first place.
    Likewise there are a number of teachers who have not earned respect, but they should still be respected as an authority figure and above all a teacher.
    I'm fed up with kids who think they know their rights and run havoc throughout the system disrupting it for those who do wish to learn.

Like your experience, the teachers that got through to me best were the ones who treated me as a young adult, however being 35 now, that was some time ago.

5. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

yes and the person is being paid to do so.

6. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

So a policeman shouldn't be respected just because he is a policemen? He have to prove himself for you first?

Same thing about teachers. They are educated teachers, and should be respected for the job they are doing. Sure, there are some bad teachers out there, but that's an administrative problem. If the students just misbehave the only thing they achieve is a lack of learning for themselves and other students. It's a matter of respect. Parents should raise their kids, not the teachers.

Having that said, kids are kids, and some of them (most, really) behave like that and do mischievous stuff from time to time. There is, however, a limit as to what a teacher should have to handle. If kids are starting to physically abuse teachers they should be kicked out immediately.

7. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

I usually let teachers earn my respect, but of course, I don't act up from day one but if they don't treat me well then I don't feel obliged to treat them well.
    A couple of cases ensue. My old food tech' teacher was an old witch. I gave her the respect she deserved as a teacher, she was usually nice enough, but she had something against me (I never had to do anything wrong to get moaned at). After 3 months of doing course work with six weeks left to finalize it she told me it was all wrong. (she had 3 bloody months to do that) Respect went out the window and I lost it. Arguments followed and if ever anyone on my table spoke I was immediately blamed which resulted in more arguments; I barely stayed in a lesson. (Somehow I got a C in the GCSE)
    New school, new Biology teacher. She's a bit of a crap teacher and so she doesn't have as much respect as a good teacher. She constantly moans at me for people on my table talking aswell (I swear there is one big conspiracy theory) so after being in a bad mood after having someone draw on my neck the whole lesson (the teacher oblivious to the fact) I moan at the person doing the drawing, get told off for that so flip out the teacher, she moans at me and sends me out (not quite A level behaviour I know)
    2 opposite cases, both male maths teachers, one of them got me an A at GCSE maths, the other comes to parties and nights out with us because he treats us as equals (key to earning respect in my opinion)

8. c.u.later

c.u.later What's a Dremel?

flip outs are pretty rare at my school, bein out in the sticks and all, but there's always one teacher who's alot more likely to flip, my maths teacher. she's not a throw a strop kinda person, but if she really gets upset she will just walk out and be off for a few days. not frequent, but much more common than others.

and I gotta agree to the whole respect thing, teachers should be given some respect simply due to the job they are trained to do. they are there, and have chosen to be there, for your benefit as kids, to help you learn something, so that gives them the right to expect fair treatment.
    BUT I've always found that the ones that will make an effort to get on with you as you are are the ones that will get my major respect, my music teacher for example is so easy to talk to and she now seems more like a friend than a teacher, although we always do as asked, it just helps for them to be nice to you, a little tolerant but not too much and it makes life a whole lot easier

anyway, i've talked long enough,

c.u.later

9. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

As soon as a teacher reacts like that, it's game over. You might aswell go home. When i was at school, you feared a teacher blowing up. These days some kids see it as a challenge.

I frequently feel like 'flipping out' (?) at the kids. On a daily basis in fact. However, the one thing that keeps me going, and spurs me on through those moments, is maybe the visual image of the particular little scrote stacking shelves in Aldi for the rest of his life... or maybe starring at the blank, painted walls of one of Her Majesty's finest hotels for societies dregs.

I have to put up with the little twats for an hour a day, at the most. They're stuck with themselves for the rest of their lives.

10. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

mookboy: Just out of curiosity, what level are you teaching at?

11. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Secondary.

N.B. Most kids are great, and for every arsey little git, there's ten that bring a smile to your face and make the job worthwhile... just. Heh heh.

12. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

And they could be paid twice as much to do some other job with much less stress. They chose teaching because they want people to learn and for society to become better as a result. That deserves some respect.

13. 123mccann

123mccann What's a Dremel?

My Design & Technology teacher, reguarly flips. In the past, he has threw a hammer at someone, just missing their head. Dragged a kid out of the class by his collar etc. etc.
    However, loads of people complained and he can barely shot anymore, or he will be sacked. I know this because he told us. :D

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

kids can taste your fear....

15. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

all my lessons are fine no one talks we must learn now. At my secondary school however it was much as people describe apart from when one of my teachers flipped he threw a chair accross the room with enough force that when it hit some other chairs ontop of a desk they also went flying .. he was eventualy fired but he would have been a fine teacher if the rest of the class wern't dicks and did quite interesting experiments etc.

16. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Was your teacher's name Mr. Ballmer by any chance?

17. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

The only one that i know of was in 6th grade when a student put a rubber band around the spray nozzle on the sink and it ended up spraying the teacher, she quit 2 days after that.

18. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Okay, so I know I'm old (at least physically), so no comments there. I went to Catholic grammar school and one of my teachers was a young nun that was well liked by everyone, Sister Bonita. This was back in the 60s when Catholic nuns wore full habits and veils. One day a kid in the first row spotted a small spider creeping up the front part of her veil. When this was confirmed by a couple other students, mentioning it had crawled inside one of the folds, she screamed out loud and ran out of the room.

We had a substitute teacher for a couple of days while Sister Bonita recovered from her trauma. She was deathly afraid of spiders and ran off to the teachers' bathrooms to take off her veil and remove the darned spider from her hair.If she had been one of the mean nuns, no doubt some of the boys would have purposely brought spiders to let loose on her desk.

19. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

You're telling me you had a teacher with a name like that and didn't even try and make any innuendo?

20. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

for those that don't know "Bonita" means "Beautiful", as in sister Beautiful, cool name, was she nice looking by the way?

and Scirocco, you are as old as you feel ;)