1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster plexi

Discussion in 'Modding' started by skot630a, 2 Apr 2008.

1. skot630a

skot630a What's a Dremel?

i have talked to my dad about heping me on a case, he seemed a little intrested but whne i mentioned plexi he recoiled and looked at me saying that all it dose is fuse back together as soon as you cut it. i know this isnt true 100% of the time beacuse i have seen what many modders here do
    my question comes from a diffrent post when one of the people mentioned that they almost got there blade stuck beacuse of teh wrong kind of plexi
    is there more than one kind?
    if so whats the diffrence?

2. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Guide to Plexi

Read up on this article, it's right up your alley. Good luck and welcome to the forums. Make your dad read it too lol.

3. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

More likely due to using the wrong kind of blade and/or cutting tool. For the most part I use a a Jigsaw with a high-TPI metal blade (smoother cuts); but for very thick stock I've used a circular saw with a finishing blade.

4. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

I'd say it's more due to using cheap extruded plexi. That crap melts if you look at it funny.

5. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

I've cut both cast-cell and extruded acrylics and never had a blade get stuck. Using the right tools is important.

6. skot630a

skot630a What's a Dremel?

alright well thanks for the help and the link btw xD
    as far as the tools we have liek 2-3 of everything lol my dad works in intereor trim
    im talkin to him now and he likes the challenge ill talk to yall later i may be building one withen the next month or so (depending on paychecks):wallbash:

7. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

[Shameless plug]
    Also check out the log to my RAD-GT (link in my sig); I built that out of acrylic last summer.
    [/Shameless plug]

8. CobraMods

CobraMods Gettin there slowly

Code:
    [Shameless plug]
    Also check out the log to my RAD-GT (link in my sig); I built that out of acrylic last summer.
    [/Shameless plug]
    looks like a quality rig. yer allowed to be shameless if you have one of those =o)

9. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

Oo Oo whilst we're with the shamelessp lugs check out my case in my sig - the structure is all tapped/bolted acrylic.

A quick tip I learnt...to drill acrylic, buy an HSS drill bit for metal, and drill into brick quickly to blunt it a bit - stops it snaggin and cracking:waah:

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Are we doing shameless plugs here?
    Go have a look at my balls!
    V

11. mr_carl

mr_carl What's a Dremel?

ROFLOL :duh: