1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Battlefield: Bad Company Beta impressions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Apr 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Interesting. Sounds kind of like CS: Condition Zero in being a multi-player game rebranded as a single-player and sold for more money. The "plot" of goldrush sounds horribly implausiable though, which would seem to detract from immersion.

3. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Isn't this supposed to have some really cool destructible environments or something?

4. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

read the feckin article darklord. its talked about on the second page, really, 2 pages and you cant read that, lazy goon imo. Anyways, that might just be because i've just woken up so apologies for being grouchy but read the thread! It looks good and i hope ea do a great job with as this game will get me to buy the ps3 as i'm a massive bf fan and despite the fact that i want to shoot ea for not putting this on the pc where bf was born and belongs i have been looking forward to this game for ages so i'm so keen to see what bit make of the full game...but please please have someone review it who plays and enjoys fps' as i think it'll make for a more levelled and insightful review, no offence Andy, your beta overview was a good read.

peace

fatman

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The general consensus I'm hearing is that it's an addictive game, but not worth any where near RRP.

6. DarkLord7854

Well aren't you a rude one.

I merely skimmed the article and was expecting something a bit larger about the destructible environment and maybe some screens, my apologies

7. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Sounds interesting, but is it coming out on pc?
    You can't be much worse than me at multiplayer games, take heart :)

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

One the last image, one of the two guys seems to be meditating and hovering in the air... Weird to see such special powers in a game like this.

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

No. It says which platforms in the second line of the header on the first page.

10. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Yay.. another game goes to consoles.. bye bye Battlefield.. After BF1942 and BFV i lost interest in it...

11. DarkLord7854

Bf2142 wasn't too bad :p

I hope they do an open beta or something

12. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

BFV, my LORD i played so much of that at LAN parties when i was carefree and had a bleeding computer. i wonder if Bad company will make use of a PPU?

If it does then i know where my next wage packet is going :p (aside from rent, bills, food and booze of course :lol: )

13. DarkLord7854

It won't because it's for XboX360 and PS3.

14. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

yea i just noticed that when i went hunting for more information :duh:

no PC version...that sucks :waah:

15. slugbug

slugbug Going Broke Saving Money

I got in on the closed beta and my only complaint so far is...there's too damn many snipers!

16. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

I'm quite looking forward to playing with the destructible environments, should be pretty addictive I hope.

17. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Yeah. Because IMHO, console shooters always suck.

18. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

It is quite addictive, even to someone like me, especially once you get used to the frantic pace of the game - and keep clear of vehicles when someone else jumps in. The number of times I've been run over by my own team defies description :wallbash:

There are a lot of snipers, but that's a common complaint with a lot of multiplayer games, and at least there are multiple routes to your target to try and avoid sniper fire.

mrb_no1, I didn't say that I don't play or enjoy FPS games, I said that I suck at multiplayer. That's not to say that I don't play those either, just that I don't do very well at them. In your own words, read the article :p

You're not going to get a "more levelled and insightful review" because this is a beta test.It's two maps and one multiplayer game - it is not the finshed article by a long shot. The release date for Bad Company is "Summer 2008", which could potentially see an August release. I think it's more likely to be June or July, which means there's another 2-3 months of development time left. That's a whole lot of time for DICE to make changes to what we see in the beta.

And there are changes to be made. Aside from framerate and balancing issues, the destructive environments don't always work like you'd expect, neither does the spawn at squad option. But that's OK, this is a beta test, and that's what beta tests are for.

What I wrote is not a review, it's a preview. There's a whole single player storyline, as well as (one would hope) additional multiplayer maps and games which we didn't get to see.

When the full game comes out in the summer, we'll review it then - the whole game. And then it will get a levelled and insightful review.

19. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

i liked that article, short, sweet and to the point. Shame its not on the pc, seems like were losing all our decent games to have them crippling ported to the inferior control systems of consoles, just coz all they used to have was halo- yawn

20. Henk

Henk Uninformed Opinionist

Well I guess at some point (hopefully Q1 2009) we'll get a Frostbite-powered BF game to the PC. I don't see DICE giving up on PC just yet - after all, that's where they started.

If you havent seen them already, the teaser and the haggard trailer are hilarious :D

Tags: Add Tags