1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Speakers dead, what replacements? 2.0. 2.1, 5.1?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DarkReaper, 6 Apr 2008.

1. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

So I managed to kill my Videologic ZXR-550s by breaking the on/volume pot and since the damn on switch has 20 different connections I'd have to resolder if I could find a replacement I'm looking at changing them. The question is to what?

My budget is definitely sub-£100, with under £80 being even better, so I know that limits the choice right there. I'm guessing that 5.1s at that price wouldn't be fantastic (although I could pick up a set of ZXR-500s on ebay for that) and to be honest I find the masses of cabling a hassle so I'm thinking that fewer speakers is probably better.

My choice then is between the popular 2.1 option or possibly the Creative Gigaworks 2.0 route, either the T20 or T40s. I'm not a drum&bass fiend but I like a rich chunky bassline when listening to Muse or Basement Jaxx, or even the 1812 overture :p. I'm sort of edging towards the gigaworks (although still unsure which model to pick) but could anyone suggest a 2.1 alternative that would be as good?

They're going to sit on or beside my computer desk and the maximum distance I'll be away from it is about 4 metres, so massive room-filling sound isn't that much of a necessity.

Cheers for the help in advance.

2. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

I have the T20s, and I really like them, but I'm no audiophile, so my opinion probably isn't the best here.

3. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Acoustic Energy Aego M 2.1 Speakers

4. Rege

Rege What's a Dremel?

5. DarkReaper

Atanum, they look stunning but not really sure if I can afford them... looking at the Logitech Z4s as well, anybody got any ears-on experience?

edit - just found the Aego Ms for £105 with free delivery... very tempted! Is it worth the £15 over Z-2300s, or £40 or £50 over a lesser set, or would I need to get myself a decent soundcard as well? Currently using the onboard from my Asus P5B motherboard.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2008
  6. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

I'd say either Creative T20's/T40's, Logitech Z10's, or Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 2.0 :idea:
    All of 'em are available for <£80 :thumb:

7. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

I have Z-4s in front of me now playing music, and I think they're very good - then again, I'm no audiophile. The bass on max can get overpowering sometimes, but there's a handy knob to adjust that on the [wired] remote. All in all, a good set of speakers, with deep bass and good mids and highs.

8. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I have a pair of Logitech Z10's, fantastic speakers. The sound is clear and balanced, it's hard to explain, but everything sounds like it should.

9. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

I'd recommend the Logitech Z-2300. They give excelent sound quality, I've tried them at full volume with a DnB track and the bass did not distort at all, at low volume they are great aswell, the bass never over powers the sound but there still a definate punch there. I got mine from ebuyer for 80 pounds with free delivery.

I also like them as they look pretty awesome too, with or without the nets. Plus the in line remote is a bonus aswell as you can control the volume and bass from it.

The sub is pretty huge though it takes up pretty much the entire space under my desk, I think thats the only downside to them!

10. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

Another vote here for the Gigaworks. I have a set of T20's and they are superb.

11. BlossomPink

BlossomPink What's a Dremel?

theres so many 2.1 sets out there all i can say is read a few reviews and unless you have upgraded your sound card (in which case why not run it threw a real amp) then stick with 2.1 anything else would just be a waste

12. DarkReaper

In the end I went for the Acoustic Energy Aegos (cheers atanum, although my wallet would disagree with me here!) and they are stonkingly fabulous speakers. I've had to mess around a bit to stop clipping on speaker-heavy tunes but overall I love them. Guess I'm too much of a bass junkie after all.

My housemates hate me like but I can't hear them complaining so ah well :D