1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Adobe 64-bit support a Windows exclusive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Apr 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

ahhh poor mac fanyboys/girls. Why did Apple shoot themselves in the foot like this though?

3. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

until theres (decent) nix support for any adobe products, i really dont care what they do

Last edited: 7 Apr 2008
  4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Its not apple's fault. It is Adobe' fault. Because the Carbon API was intended as a "in between" step for Cocoa. And no, i am not a apple fanboy. But i did read a whole bit about this a few days ago on a photoshop forum.

5. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Woooo for Bootcamp....

But sadly, only business users can actually afford to buy a Mac copy and a Windows copy. Seem to remember lots of bit-tech employees going the way of the fruit, I wonder if this will switch them back for normal office based productivity.

6. koola

koola Minimodder

Nuff said. Apple gave plenty of notice.. lazy Adobe Cheesecake.

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

QFT

8. rDr4g0n

rDr4g0n What's a Dremel?

"The 64 bit support enables users to work on massive images easily, with the biggest speed gain seen on Windows systems running 32GB or more of RAM."

lotta users with 32gigs of ram?

also, is this Vista only or will it work with 64bit XP? I may be willing to try and wrangle 64bit XP into submission for this...

9. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

i dont see why it wouldnt be XPx64 ....

Still, +1 for the Linux suggestion, although, i believe you can get photoshop to work in wine

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

if this makes all the anti-Mac-fanboys happy.

im sure all the Mac-fanboys will be super happy this this news:

11. Hezza

Hezza What's a Dremel?

Theres not too many machines with 32 gig but plenty with 12 or 8 gig of ram.

For high end 3d stuff i'm often working with 8k 32bit images that weigh in at 768mb for a single layer, as soon as you start doing anything to them Photoshop hits the 4 gig limit. Being able to address more memory will be lovely :clap:

Still i'd rather they released a linux version and then I could abandon windows completely

12. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I just read somewhere on friday that Mac support is coming after the Windows release, unless I'm mistaken. :confused: Hm.

13. koola

koola Minimodder

Adobe are supposedly re-writing the code-base right now for cocoa. Will be a while though; over 1 million lines of code need to be changed lol.

14. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

Where's the Flash plugin for the 64 bit firefox browser that runs in Windows XP x64 or Vista x64?

15. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

It would be smart, since you can't beat a Mac for design work. Period. Hell, I started graphic design work on a friggin' Mac, way back in the late 80's!

16. chrisuk

chrisuk What's a Dremel?

Adobe's fault - apple has given plenty of warning carbon was going the way of the dodo, but, in another "customer endearing" move (see adobe global price differences as well) they decided not to spend the money getting it done.

Tut tut adobe, well done apple for sticking to your guns

17. seanap

seanap What's a Dremel?

Interesting to see that they stuck with Carbon rather than working on the Cocoa port right away. You'd think a company with that much 'interest' in Apple would be able to overcome something like that..

Edit: anyone else notice the unclosed <b> tag from wuyanxu's post? Wonder if doing a blank quote with </b> will fix it
    Edit 2: Hmm.. can't seem to fix it. *pokes teh adminzxor*

Last edited: 7 Apr 2008
  18. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I'm just glad to see more of the big companies releasing productivity apps on 64 bit. The more we get, the more refining the hardware Mfgr's are going to do to increase performance and efficiency. It is time to start moving away from 32bit systems. I for one would like to start seeing more of a push to finish 64 bit and go on ahead for the 128bit hardware/OS. With more and more development of multi core processors, and ram prices dropping; (not forgetting the flash memory dropping as well.), The era of Tera-everything is not too far off.

19. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Ram prices dropping? Looks like all company's new motherboards have worked out a "deal" with ram makers to only release DDR3 boards. Its 4 times expensive then DDR2 and does nothing in performance. So basicly its a big scam to force us to buy very expensive useless DDR3 ram. And do not tell me it is not true because you can smell this scam from 5 miles away.

20. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

DDR2 ram has indeed been dropping in price.. 2gigs for under $30: unheard of a year or two ago!

re: article.. i dislike Apple as a company, so this makes me smile. :) ...even if it is just a temporary hiccup

Tags: Add Tags