1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Lumière Noire by E.E.L. Ambiense - Completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by E.E.L. Ambiense, 8 Apr 2008.

1. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

[​IMG]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, here we are again. Another project log by E.E.L. Ambiense. Everyone wondering what the hell am I doing starting another log? Hm? Well, it's all because I needed to update/redo/clean a lot of stuff on my main rig. So I'm treating it as a log now. Many photos were shot over a year and a half ago at this point, but many of them are new as well. Some action shots I skipped due to bending to safety measures, and others were simply missed from 'in the moment' thinking.

Regardless, this is my main rig. This is my big beast. This is my pinnacle of evolution. This is my baby.

Man, I'm a dork.

Let's see what unfolds, shall we?

----typed a year ago---- (note: things edited/updated hardware-wise from initial text)

Understand, when I started concepting this mod in September '06; around Dominator launch (I think?), I did most of the acrylic designing before I even got the hardware to go in the case and actually started cutting in February. Yeah, I take my time with stuff. But that's what happens when you work full-time, and start a business as well right in the middle of it (and that's taken most of my time). I had thought of possible misc. mods (that I certainly wouldn't take credit for at all obviously) that I hadn't seen at the time, including the Dominator memory cooler modification/dress up which has become a bit more common practice, but it looks so good (not to mention easy!) But hey, I'm glad insane minds think alike! Hell, mods kind of write themselves when you look at the stock product, right?

Understand that because I work alone and when I get into the 'groove', I tend to forget to snap photos. But I do have some that I've taken. Of course, not 'in the midst of cutting a hole' kind of action pictures. But you...get the picture. The main reason I'm actually posting this stuff at all is because I've been getting encouragement from others to do so. I'm one of those hermit modders who doesn't shave, doesn't tan, and doesn't shower-- well, scratch that last one. I DO do that. Most of the time. When I use the fiberglass-reinforced cutoff discs. I'm sure some of you know only too well where that dust ends up.

Anyways, on to the mod.

This project is built around the, IMO, excellent Lian Li PC-G70. I chose this particular case for a few reasons, mostly being the older school classic look to it, dual PSU slots, and the massive amount of space inside her. Wow, that looks kind of filthy typed. Hm. Anyways. Also the ease of use and modding potential. And I can admit it...I'm a Lian Li whore. I was more or less prone to purchasing midtowers, but I've been choosing fulls over the past 3 years now exclusively, simply because of the lovely and innovative designs companies have been offering lately. And the space too.

The idea here is to create a system that would house watercooling (big surprise); the praised Thermochill PA120.3 @ the center. You just can't beat the best in terms of cooling capabilities, so I chose this rad without question. A change I made into the build required me to purchase a Thermochill PA120.1, to break it into dual loops. I had the room, so I figured...what the hell. CPU and GPU on the 120.3; Mobo's chipset on the 120.1. Even my wallet agreed with me. I had a DDC laying around from a previous build, so I decided to re-use it for this build. Good quiet little pump, as many of you know. So I bought another one; DDC 3.2 18w version for the large loop.

Let's take a look at a quick concept I threw together...

[​IMG]

The system I am installing in this sucker is made up of a DFI DK X38-T2R board running a C2D e6850, 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 RAM, a single Raptor 150GB, and another WD 320GB for storage. Both of those will be housed in twin Scythe Quiet Drive HDD silencers. Graphics handled by the eVGA 8800GTS 640MB edition. The PSU I chose was the awesomely quiet Ultra X3 1KW. The only thing that gets pushed is the CPU...since they OC soooo well. The CPU, the mobo's northbridge, and the GPU are all water-cooled using EK's awesome blocks, in one form or another...but we'll get to that in due time.

The fans. This theme was intended to be black and red from the get-go. So I wanted LED fans. Like I said, I'm a dork. I snagged five red LED Zalman ZM-F3 fans. I was using SilenX fans, but they aren't much for static pressure, or anything else for that matter, so I hopped on to Performance-PCs' site (PPC's is a mile away from me :)) saw that those just came out, so I ordered them and and picked them up the next day.

All the acrylic work is simply a series of mathematical equations. Or vector, for short. Being a graphic designer, I tend to work in my native environment. I don't use Sketchup or anything like that, nor have the time to mess around with it. I draw 2-D illustrations (i.e. side, front, top, etc.) of the stock case and 'digitally mod' on top of it. It saves on paper. Also, I tend to generally tear apart the cases by removing the rivets while modding. I also measure everything and get it within a 1/16" tolerance or closer when designing my mockups. Accuracy is a necessity for such small spaces, or something like that.

I tend to look at a case and 'see' what I want to do to it. Other mods jump out in the middle of it, or as I refer to as 'dynamic variables', lol. I know, sounds transcendent doesn't it? I hope not, as I'm not an expert or a mod-god or anything like that, nor would I pretentiously and narcissistically boast that as so. I just do what I do, just like the lot of you. I hope you like what I have to show, and I hope you don't feel like you wasted 10 mins of your life looking @ these things.

----finished text from a year ago----

System Specs:
    Motherboard: DFI DK X38-T2R
    CPU: Intel C2D E6850
    RAM: Corsair Dominator DD2-1066 4GB kit
    HDDs: System drive - Western Digital Raptor 150GB Dump drive - Western Digital Caviar 320GB
    PSU: Ultra X3 1000w modular unit
    VGA: EVGA 8800GTS 640mb edition

Loop 1: Video card and CPU - Thermochill PA 120.3
    Loop 2: Motherboard chipset - Thermochill PA 120.1

Let's mod, shall we?

[​IMG]

Again, sorry for no action-cutting pics. :( And yes...the shop is rather filthy, isn't it? ;)

[​IMG]

Stripping down the chassis for coating in gloss black...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am going to make acrylic stealthing panels for the front panel, as I intend for this to look custom. The bottom front panel stock does not have a straight fan opening to the 120mm fan behind it, so I cut one. Pay no attention to the scratched up annodizing; this being coated, so scratches don't matter to me.

This will be the first acrylic panel, with a grill and stylin' design.

Here's the design being, well, designed.

[​IMG]

I don't have any shots of it being lasered or anything, so again...I'm sorry for no pics at the time. Like I said before, I'm blending old with the new improved log-keeping habits. ;)

Here's the piece cut and polished and installed for fitment. I'm also using AC Ryan's MeshxPanel™ modder's mesh in black cut and fit for a background grill, like on the rest of the fans (except for the top rad fans). Sorry for the terrible pic.

[​IMG]

I mentioned earlier on that I was going to use the Corsair Dominator Airflow unit to cool the RAM. Well, here we go. I removed the stock blue sticker crap thingy on the unit, and measured out everything and made a digital copy of it.

[​IMG]

Here's the design as it's being set-up. Keeping in with the theme I'm going with for the case. I'm also changing the stock normal black fans in it to red LED ones to match the colorway. I spliced the three fans together into one lead for the fan controller/mobo/whatever I use to power it and sleeved it in black.

[​IMG]

...And all lasered, polished up and assembled. Nice!

[​IMG]

I am also installing my typical stealthing plates on the video card, as I usually do with all my mods. I don't have a pic of me measuring my card, but I do have the design I set up for it.

[​IMG]

Why cut one when you can cut a back-up for the same price! ;) I placed a notch in these for SLI support, but I doubt I'm going to go that route at this point. But I have the option to. I also engraved my logo into it as well.

[​IMG]

...And installed. Yes, that's an EK 8800GTS acetal waterblock installed on there! Again, sorry if it seems like I'm in warp-speed. This stuff is already done at this point, and I didn't snap many pics during it at the time. My fault, although I didn't think I'd show the world either. I guess things change, eh?

I'm going to install a window panel on the case. I just chose the Lian Li W-75B panel, for ease and it's just about what I was wanting. Besides, I need the stock panel for something else. ;)

I'm modding this window panel though. The acrylic, frankly, sucks on these panels, and the screws have to match.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and all drilled out. Holes enlarged for the larger socket cap screws to be used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let's measure it for a custom window.

[​IMG]

And design it. I'm cutting this out of smoke gray acrylic, like the rest of the acrylic.

[​IMG]

I'm following the panel opening's curves so it looks flush and nice.

...And cut and installed. I'm using larger black oxide socket screws like the rest of the case. I love the look!

[​IMG]

Some of the stuff going in. This is some of the newer stuff that I'm updating the rig with.

[​IMG]

-------------
    Until the next update, I got nuthin'. :thumb:

Last edited: 4 Sep 2011
  2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Have to say it's big enough. This will be fun. Watching.
    John

3. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Oh man... this is gonna be sweet. :thumb:

4. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

mt Envy will soon get the better of me i'm afraid, but for now, i'm watching...

5. E.E.L. Ambiense

Hahah, it is. But I like 'em like that. Thanks, John!

LOL. Thanks, Craig. Glad you're lookin' in.

Hahaha, Xtrafresh. I'll take that as a compliment, but let's put it this way....who's building a computer inside a desk here? ;)

6. Xtrafresh

last time i checked i was the only one on these forums doing that :D

It's just annoying having to fight an uphill battle for every clean cut you wanna make while looking at these amazing pics. Keep 'em coming though :thumb:

And never mind John. For some reason he's obsessed with making things smaller :D

7. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

Looking good again :thumb:

8. E.E.L. Ambiense

Hahahaha, you definitely are the only one with an integrated desk PC on B-T, unless I'm mistaken!

I'll definitely keep the pics coming, and it'll be coming along rather quickly. I have some special things in store too. :D

No, John didn't mean anything nefarious about the size! He did nab one of those Rocketfish (Lian Li OEM) cases from Best Buy. He just likes smaller cases, that's all.

Thanks, man! Thanks for lookin' in.

9. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Yes! Normal colors again that don't make your eyes bleed for a change! ;) Looking awesome as always!

I'm guessing it will be black and red... right?

10. E.E.L. Ambiense

:hehe: :grr: Thanks, bro!

Yes, black with red lighting.

11. Xtrafresh

I'm still trying to figure out what that means... am i the only one that's cool enough, or the only one that's stupid enough? :confused:
    And the award for the most unsurprising statement of the month (MUSOTM) goes to...

:D

Enough chatter, show us more!

12. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

...Wow.

This is what just happened to me after reading this thread:

1. Picked my jaw up off the floor.
    2. 5 stars
    3. Subscribed

This PC is going to be quite the ride. You need to hire a photographer to follow you around man; then you don't have to worry about snapping off shots in the middle of everything lol.

/applause

13. E.E.L. Ambiense

Hahahah! Thanks, bro! I appreciate the kind words. And I certainly appreciate you looking in and subscribing to the log. I wish I could hire someone to snap pics, because I'm a virtual 2-digit IQ when it comes to that, lol. Just keep watching; it'll get more interesting... Trust me... ;)

14. E.E.L. Ambiense

No, most definitely cool enough. If you were stupid, you wouldn't have the ability to mod a PC into a desk! :hehe:

15. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Looks sweet. Keep coming with updates! :)

16. E.E.L. Ambiense

I will, man. Thanks, bro.

17. TapperSwe

TapperSwe What's a Dremel?

Looks really nice!what can i say i totaly must love the eye :D puting them on the dominator cooler was a very nice idea,there is hovever one thing i dont like, i have never seen the point of puting wheels on the pc case, i know its pretty comon this days but the only time i think it looks good would be on a car mod, maybe two bars in stainles steel or aluminium would look nice but remember thats just my opinion,otherwise a top notch mod :thumb:.

Regards.

18. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks a lot, brother! Egypt Cheesecake!

Yeah, I know the wheels suck. I just tend to move my boxes around a LOT, so they're the lesser of the two evils. The black editions of these wheels are very hard to come by (a Performance PC's exclusive), and they're black so they blend in well enough. Especially since the rig goes into a dark room anyways. I frag away in the dark. :rock:

19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

At seeing that long intro I was expecting to see another one post log. I'm glad to see I was wrong.:D This is a nice start.:D (You're really 99% finished already, aren't you?:hehe:
    -If 2 colors is a plan, and 3 are a scheme, is BBworlds a conspiracy?
    -I'm not a big fan of wheels either. I know you said they are 'special' wheels,:hehe: but you could add a skirt around them like the Triphane case? (-just don't have a careburetor sticking out of the hood like that case too.)
    -Are you coating it in metallic black? It looks like it in one of those pics. I like gunmetal black a lot.
    -I'm not a big fan of using the hook end of a measuring tape for low-tolerance work. They are bad about being off by at least 1/8". 90% of the cuts I screw up are because I use the 1 inch mark for the start and forgot to add 1" to the measurement.

20. E.E.L. Ambiense

:hehe: You know, I expected that from you Cheap! I expected you to say something about the one-post thing, lol! I'm not making that mistake again... :worried:

It's not 99% yet, at least not in the new form it's going to be in soon.

Good eyes! It is in fact coated in textured black with 'black chrome' over it. Well, at least it was. It's being changed since I wasn't happy with it to begin with. Just ignore that crap paint, lol. It'll show up here in there in some remaining pics.

Yeah, the hook thing on measuring tapes suck, I know. I just meant to show that I was measuring it. When I measure for real, I usually start at the 1" spot, lol. I just take 1" off the total length! ...That..sounded...wrong. Somehow. ;)

Thanks, bro for checkin' in!

Tags: