1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Get rid of pregnant women handicap sign parking

Discussion in 'General' started by mushi_999, 9 Apr 2008.

1. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

could you do me a favor and quote the person, or people, who have actually said that pregnant women are lazy?
    and dont quote me because I said that society is getting lazy. not pregnant women.

as for your question, pregnancy is not a disease. or a disability. if someone is diseased or disabled then yes they should and do have a spot closer. they have to deal with with for their entire life after all.
    and take the case of someone in a wheelchair, they take up a lot of room and some people are bad drivers so there is a risk of them getting hit if they try and go across the entire lot. a pregnant woman can easily move out of the way of a car though.
    not as easily as a person who isn't pregnant, but a lot more easily than someone confined to a large chair.

and no one has answered my question yet. that if a women is in such bad shape that she cant walk a few extra steps. should she be going shopping in a store?

2. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Are you aware that that is totally medically valid? Women do get fatter when they have children. And who are you to judge someone because they're not physically perfect?

chrisb2e9, how about if you're pregnant and you have nobody to help you, and you find walking/standing a big effort, but possible. Having a parking space closer to the store doesn't eliminate the problem, but it helps. If you're physically fine, why shouldn't you walk a bit further to the store and let people less well off than yourself have the benefit of a closer space?

3. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

In my opinion, the reserved parking isn't necessarily for women that are so bad off that they can't move. In that scenario, those women are more likely to be resting at home anyway. I think it's designed more to take some of the pressures (literally) off of pregnancy for those that are able to get out and about. For my wife, walking around inside an air-conditioned store with smooth tiles wasn't as bad walking outside in the Texas heat. There are benches in shopping malls that pregnant women can use for an occasional rest, but walking from the back of the parking lot to the front door can be tiresome.

Strictly speaking, nobody is really in any shape to get pregnant. It's one of the worse things a woman can do to her body. Pregnant women have a hard time as it is, and anything we can do to make their lives a little easier is OK by me.

-monkey

4. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

Well in fact the first post appears to be about signs on trains/buses - here in the uk i've never seen any for pregnancy. But do support the idea 100% . When i used buses trains i'd give up my seat instantly as soon as i noticed anyone in need of it. Pregnant or overweight or older no matter !

The selfish in society are breeding it seems.

And its amazing how many fit people abuse disabled parking (barstewards). And even the people with badges are often borrowing one or get one from social services as they suffer from flatulence etc. I doubt more than 10% of disabled badge holders here in uk need the badge..
    As one of the badge holders who really needs to park as close as I can its upsetting!

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Oh, all right then. I'll field this one.

Perhaps she shouldn't be. But perhaps she has no choice. You know, single mums, or husband is at work earning a crust, or perhaps the little woman will be alright but those extra fifty yards at every place she frequents add up a bit in the end. Perhaps she was going to be OK until the baby shifts right on top of her bladder.

Regardless. In the olden days (I'm 41, so I remember that far back) pregnant women were still treated with a little bit of consideration. You know, you got up for them in the bus, you carried heavy items for them, held the door. Because being pregnant makes her just a bit heavy, slow and vulnerable, and she's carrying a delicate, precious load and we're a civilised society with manners and all. We used to do the same for the elderly. Never did we feel the need to debate whether they actually deserved it.

I think that what people object to, chrisb2e9, is the very fact that this issue is being debated. We could argue that women should just put up with the slings and arrows of outrageous pregnancy, given that they (mostly) chose to get in that state. We could then ask whether children really should be able to rely on your adult protection (seeing as they are not your specific genetic offspring), and whether we should not just euthanise the oldies when they've outlived their productive use to society.

Civilisation is measured by how it looks after its weak, its infirm, its vulnerable; its very young and its very old. So go ahead. You make a choice what kind of society you want to live in, and then be the change you want to see in the world.

6. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

...so basically it boils down to what people were saying on page one of this thread:

Maybe it's not a right, but it's a consideration.

And everyone's allowed to be inconsiderate if they want, but it makes them look like dickheads.

7. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

just out of interest you actually have designated "pregnancy bays" rather than "mother and toddler bays" - i agree bays for pregnant women maybe unnecessary (but some US malls you need flippin bus service! so can see needed then?) But Op was re bus/train seats, so in that sense ANYONE one staying sat on their fit non-preggers arse deserves a whuppin!

8. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

sure walking from the back can be a pain. I dont know about texas heat as I have never been there. but if its that hot, I would assume there is A/C in the car? why not drive around till you find a closer spot?

The internet at work is so slow that I turn off pics. So i didn't actually see that. As for moving for someone on a bus/train/whatever. I'm all for that. I used to take a bus to work and I would move for old/disabled people. Cant say that I ever saw a pregnant woman on a bus. but if i did i would have no problem standing for them.

I agree with a lot of what you said but I cant agree with there being no choice. People always have a choice, they could have what they need delivered for example.
    and the extra 50 yards do add up. and one of my points was that pregnant woman still need exercise. This is a great way to get it.
    It would suck if the baby moved on top of her bladder, and there would be pressure to pee on the spot. but a grown woman should be able to hold it for a few minutes. if its that bad that she cant, it wont matter if she's in a parking lot or in the store.

I've seen both. back home its "family parking" and out here i've mostly seen signs for pregnant women.
    and I had the pics turned off because the internet at work is slow to begin with and its shared with a lot of people. I have no problem giving up a seat on a bus.

9. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I think I would have replied, "Well it wasn't me who ****ed you". :)

10. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

Nice troll post there.

11. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Thread or my post?

Because I can assure you most fervently that there is no manner of trolling intended or implied in my post.

12. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

For the same reason elderly and disable people shouldn't have to wait for a closer spot. In my opinion, pregnancy is a disability for all practical purposes, albeit a temporary one. The amount of changes the body goes through in such a short time compound to make life relatively difficult. Making them walk across the parking lot isn't going to give them their daily dose of exercise; but, at the end of the day when the woman's body is aching, but she's still able to go out, it's nice not to have to walk that extra distance.

Furthermore, I think some folks need to remember that not all disabilities are readily noticeable. Some people may need immediate access to syringes that they keep in the car. Other people may have artificial knees or other joints, and therefore don't get around as easily as they used to. If you're in good health, then be thankful you have the ability to walk across the parking lot in comfort. Life could be a lot worse.

-monkey

13. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Let me also say that when women walked everywhere when they were pregnant, miscarriages were much more prevalent, women died in childbirth more often, complications in pregnancy often left them bedridden for several months and so on. And my point about this is, people USED to be more helpful to each other... pregnant or not. People would open doors for each other, volunteer to carry bags, clerks would always bring groceries out to your vehicle and load them for you. More often than not, women now must work, whether or not they have a partner. I remember coming home from work, putting feet up on the sofa and promptly falling asleep I was so dead tired. I'd wake up a few hours later, have a little something to eat and promptly go to bed in order to get up in the morning. Any accommodation I received was not expected, but was a blessing.

By the selfish rants posted here, it is no wonder so many girls are left on their own when they get pregnant.

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

They're not all selfish rants. Some people are just objecting to the equivocation of pregnancy and a life-long disability when one is self-inflicted (basically) and the other is suffered without choice by people for their entire lives. Many old people or disabled people are able to walk into a store where they then sit in a store provided wheelchair, or are in pain they never chose to be in for every step. Sure, it's good when people are considerate to pregnant women, but that consideration should not be at the expense of those who suffer genuine, unchosen, lifelong disabilites. It should come on top of it.

15. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I'd hold a door open for someone whether they were pregnant or not, I would offer to help with bags if I see someone in difficulty, pregnant or not.
    Your right woman nowadays have very little choice but to work, but having children is a choice it's not compulsory.

I actually think the idea of parking space near the door for women who are pregnant is a good idea, just like the parent and toddler, and people with disabilities. I don't mind having to walk a few feet extra as I'm fit and healthy.

16. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

what about that pregnant "man" should "he" get to park there too???

:hehe:

17. loops

loops What's a Dremel?

I havent seen pregnancy bays here but considering ive never been pregnant i cant say much but I have been on crutches not so long ago, and im ill a lot and that few feet can make a lot of difference to someone who is carrying a ten tonn weight or ill or disabled, people just need to be more considerate full stop though to be honest people are becoming very selfish these days and its a bit crap. treat others how you wish to be treated and all that.
    I had two dealings with two extrememly helpfull people today, both taxi drivers, one who quite willingly carried a tub of paint to my door for me cos he could see i was struggling, and one who on my arrival to a and e this afternoon helped me out the car. If more people were like that then people wouldnt winge all the time at people having these little bits of help

18. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

*oops. wrong thread*

While I'm here though, I think that the mother (and father) bays are a good idea, but they are abused (right word?) by those without childre. At my local shopping centre, all of those spaces are used up by louts or 'mums' running in to get food. If they are used properly, then why stop. My mum loved having me (apparantly) as she could use the spaces.

19. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

It seems there is stubborness & intolerance for way too many things, maybe even close to everything?

Ok, yoda, say your woman is 7 months pregnant, coming home from work, sore back, baby is kicking making her need to go and pee. She needs to get some pads or has a craving for eating a certain something from the bakery. You guys both drive to work because it's not possible to share one car.

She pulls into the supermarket, and there are some kids/immature adults hanging out, and one is in the disabled/pregnant spot. She pulls up and asks if she can have it, and one of the kids says "Go find a spot, not my problem, it wasn't me who..."

This would piss off your woman no end, and when you get home, what will you say when you find your upset pregnant woman? Would you say "Well you do need to keep fit, what's your problem?" As if the raging hormones weren't enough for you.

Or would you tell her that you wanna go down to that supermarket and beat up those immature kids?

20. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Also read my earlier post, it was in response to an entirely different situation from the parking one, it was more to do with manners. Plus in my head it was quite a funny replt, obviously not. :)

Last edited: 9 Apr 2008
Tags: