1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo: No new DS at E3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Apr 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. sunny_man

sunny_man What's a Dremel?

Do we need a new DS at the moment? I think a new DS should come out with Nintendo's next home games console. DS is too hot right now to knock it off. Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 I think will last longer that most other previous generations.

3. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Nintendo doesnt do Hi-res anything! Maybe 2012... when everyone else has moved on to the next technology..

But its OK though.. .its all about the game play apparently ! MMMmmm Ok!

The reason I chose the PSP over the DS was a) adult games b) decent Hi-Res screen c) multimedia use.

Nintendo... Grow UP !

4. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

if they filled the top lid entirely with screen and had (for a change) a decent amount of power, and all wireless downloading games (think steam ds) onto inbuilt, upgradable ssd, it would be the first completely perfect product ever made

5. knowyourenemy

knowyourenemy Professional Winner

lewchenko: ME WANT ADULT GAMES TOO. :D:DD:D:D:D:DDD:D:D I WAS NOT AWARE SONY CATERED TO THIS MARKET

6. CardJoe

You just described this pretty much. It runs Linux too.
    http://openpandora.org/

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It is, actually. Which is why retro-arcade games are still a popular market. Which is why the Nintendos outsell the PlayStations and XBoxes by the order of tens of millions.

This coming from a guy discussing games, right? :hehe:

I lol'd. :)
    Tasty!

8. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

This is silly!!! I mean High-Res?

The only thing Nintendo need to do right now with the DS is make more games for it, the Wii appears to be taking up a lot of their time right now with its success, the hardware is a mere £99 quid.
    Making it by far the best handheld (personally the PSP has never interested me), I personally would like to see a kind of Mario Allstars on the DS or a Remastered Compilation of mario nes and snes games or even a NEW Super Mario Bros. 2.

9. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

that looks awesome, but i'm guessing by the name its all open source, which i love and all but is it going to get the attention of major developers?

10. Major

Major Guest

They have hundreds of games out, by so few decent games available.

Contra 4 keeping me busy, heh.

11. CardJoe

Doesn't need major developers - its a succesor to the GP2X which has a thriving homebrew scene and inbuilt emulation for a ****ton of systems. Here's a handful of early examples for the GP2x -http://www.pdroms.de/files/gp2x/

12. willyolio

willyolio What's a Dremel?

seriously, how many iterations of the game boy were there?

the DS is going to lose its GBA slot first. maybe a few more metallic colours. then maybe make the hinge smaller and the screens closer together. then possibly a higher-res screen.

i laugh at that render. it's completely unlike anything nintendo would do- change the screen aspect ratio and make the 2 screens different sizes. made by a fanboy who doesn't even know his own beloved company at all.

13. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I would hate for the DS to lose its GBA slot. If they built a rumble pack into the thing, I might excuse them, but I love having the option to load two games into a Gameboy. Legend of Zelda: Four Swords + Mario Cart DS = Greatness.

Oh, and about that mockup picture. Why is that even up? Different size screens? How badly would that kill backwards compatibility with 'old' DS games?

14. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Different screen size wouldn't do much, just like having a widescreen TV doesn't kill your old media that was 4:3, you will just have black bars.

For me I am getting a PSP, more useful to me. I have never really been into Nintendo games that much.

15. willyolio

willyolio What's a Dremel?

it increases cost for a feature nobody will use. the DS already has a huge library, not to mention the entire GBA library as well which will have black bars. any developer who wanted to actually use the extra space will now have a game that's incompatible with the 100 million DSes that have already been sold.

in short, it's a stupid idea.

16. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

What about wide screen monitors and CRTs, games still work on both.

17. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i was tempted to get a ds soonish (read want, more money need), but that open pandora looks intersting, you got one joe? any chance of you doing a review of the unit and/or some of games available/ in development? only thing is that zelda wont be on it :(

18. CardJoe

The OpenPandora isn't out yet, but I'll be taking a look when it is. You could of course emulate old Zelda games - the site even hints N64 emulation is possible.

19. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

guess i should have looked at the Q & A, wont have phantom hourglass thou (at least not for quite some time)

20. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags