1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dedicated Hosting help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kopite, 16 Apr 2008.

1. kopite

kopite What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys,

I currently have a VIrtual machine which i use to host a number of websites and an email server.

ITs getting a bit slow atm so I have started looking at getting a dedicated server. I have been looking around but just need a bit of help and any suggestions on possible servers.

The sites I host at the moment are not generating much traffic but I`m hoping that is going to change soon if a couple of my ideas come off.

The sites I am using are PHP front ends with a MYSQL backend.

Right down to the questions.

The companies I`ve been looking at so far that are within my price range Seem to fall into 2 categories. Either pentium 4 dual core (32bit) with 2 gig of ram or Core 2 duo(64bit) with 1 gig of ram.

WHich would be a better option the 64 bit chip with less ram or the 32 bit chip with more ram.

I`m looking at linux ideally debian.
    My budget is 50 pound per month tops

so any help?

Thanks

2. kopite

kopite What's a Dremel?

I have been looking at one company on recomendation from a friend called cari.net

The server is a core2duo with a gig of ram. The problem is they charge a 75 dollar installation fee for debian. But its free for red hat.

3. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Have a look at TSOHost.co.uk.

I've been with them for a number of years for personal cheap hosting. They also provide the hosting for bit-tech and the owners are members of the forum.

4. kopite

kopite What's a Dremel?

THey only seem to do one dedicated option and its 230 quid.

Im looking at spending 50 quid at the most for now. Maybe if the ideas take off I`ll be upgrading and paying closer to that but for now I just want something a bit cheaper ;)

5. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

there are 2 other options available for £35 and £55

6. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Personally I would go for the option with more ram as this would give you the better longevity. In hosting your going to run out of ram before cpu cycles (unless your running the next big social networking thing).

Is that with TSOhost? if so it's not on their site.

Last edited: 18 Apr 2008
  7. dazmanultra

dazmanultra What's a Dremel?

At the low end of the market you should probably look at Poundhost or Rapidswich. :)

Thanks for the recommendation. When we do dedicated servers we only tend to do managed dedis/high end stuff these days unfortunately. It's great for businesses (they know they're getting good quality hardware, managed security et al) but outside the budget of most individual users who just need a dedi for their personal websites/development etc.

Like I said, Rapidswich and Poundhost are worth looking at for ~£50 a month. :)

8. kopite

kopite What's a Dremel?