1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gran Turismo to hit the PC?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Apr 2008.

1. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I think you've stumbled on the same flawed logic that I've just built my entire case upon:
    Hopefully I don't have to educate you in what separates them.

2. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Please do, i need a laugh. Gran turismo is an arcade racer, fact. It does not touch either of those. Driving is way to easy, especially in adverse conditions. If u think it is, your a joke.

3. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Gran Turismo is NOT an arcade racer. have you played it even? i mean the new ones not the old ones. it has arcade mode for kids that cant handle realism but its not an arcade game. it IS very realistic.

BUT you are correct in that GTR, GPL, etc.. are much more realistic. GT is as close as you can get to the realism of a PC racing sim. but remember, GT is a DRIVING sim, GTR etc.. are RACING sims, those cars handle so much different. of course it takes a long time to get used to and drive a fast lap when youve got 700hp. if youre driving a street car that many people have and its got like 250hp of course itll be easy to learn and master. get a 700hp car in GT and its very hard to master. well unless youre a wimp with driving aids.

4. Kierax

Kierax What's a Dremel?

GT is a intermediary step between Arcade and Simulator, it has easier modes for children and those out for thrills, and more difficult modes for those wanting a driving challenge, but let us not be fooled their is more realistic games out there, GTR2 being one of them.

GT on the pc though is a huge step and one BIG TIME welcomed by myself.

5. Lepermessiah

Sorry, i have played virtually every racer around, Gran Turismo is pretty much all arcade racer. It takes little skill at all. Try GTRII or Live for Speed on hard modes, they mke racing Gran Turismo seem like a racer for kindergartens.

6. Lepermessiah

According to one guy on this thread, Gran Turismo is more realistic, lol. Must be a Sony fanboy.

7. Kierax

Kierax What's a Dremel?

Each person has a right to their own view.

8. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

What are you? Six? Your arguments are weak, your thought depth is laughable, and your written delivery compliment both of those talents. You also continue to retrace the steps of your flawed logic in spite of what I've said. Reading is fundamental.

I'm a racing game aficionado and I should remind you that there are significant differences between racing simulators and driving simulators in their presentation and 'feel'; differences that make cross-comparisons intolerable to purists. My tastes are in driving simulators, which is essentially the unrivaled Gran Turismo franchise for the PlayStation console. I've debated numerous times--and am tired of it--about the differences between the two types of simulators to contest comparing, for example and most notably, the realism of GTR2 to that of Gran Turismo 4. I've played them all as well. I've even played the GTR franchise's progenitor religiously since 2002 (and, evidently, long before you've set foot into the world of simulator racing games). So what?

But the breakdown is like this (with example, enclosed):
    Driving simulators = driving spirit (Gran Turismo uncontested)
    Racing simulators = competitive spirit (Race '07, GTR)

Realism should account for believability: on what basis can we judge the realism of a 2003 Ferrari 550 Maranello GT race car on a closed circuit? We can't assume it's the most realistic because it 'feels' like it nor on someone else's opinion; whereas driving road cars in Gran Turismo is much more 'real' affair. And just because one driving error during a race can manifest itself as lethal in GTR doesn't suddenly transmute it into an utmost state saintly realism. Let's look at why one such error can end a typical race in GTR2 and why the same error in a Gran Turismo race would not:
    -your high-performance race car is traveling very fast and sensitive to disturbances.
    -vehicle damage if you lose control and collide.
    -penalties and unique flag conditions for negate advantages in racing strategy.

Now let's dissect Gran Turismo:
    -your 130ps front-drive, road-legal sedan has dull handling response and its weight makes it nearly impervious to small changes in dynamics.
    -no vehicle damage. Why would it require damage if the game's focus is on simulating driving pleasure?
    -no flags. Racing regulations are strictly for racing games.

So just because GTR will penalize you for not racing the perfect strategy while Gran Turismo doesn't doesn't mean GTR is any more real.

Flip your copy of Gran Turismo 4 over (if you have one) and you'll see the tagline "The drive of your life" printed clearly across the back side. And if I'm not mistaken, the same two words, "DRIVING SIMULATOR", are on the the package of ever Gran Turismo game to date.

Gran Turismo's rationale has always been capturing the driving essence of taking a car to the road. Yes, driving essence. DRIVING ESSENCE. Have I not made my self clear? The purpose of a driving simulator is to enjoy the feel of driving. In no manner does competing factor into the equation of "car & track". Relatively speaking, it's almost safe to say that the racing portion of the franchise has always taken a back seat to emulating the driving feel of the cars on circuits.

Bottom line: racing and driving simulators differ in very important aspects. GTR's approach to a simulator is to win (taking queues in principle from live Grand Touring Car racing). Gran Turismo approach to a simulator is to reproduce the pleasure behind driving your car (taking queues in principle from Best Motoring).

You'd have to be a rudimentary polysensory systematic exteroceptive disable to not acknowledge the discrete differences between both principles of motoring games while still proclaiming yourself as a seasoned driving game enthusiast. And if everyone followed your logic of cross-comparing the realism of two games from wholly different principles of the same genre, then why not compare the realism between Hot Shots Golf with that of Tiger Woods PGA Tour?

And there's your education, buddy.

Last edited: 23 Apr 2008
  9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Gran turismo has always been a fav game of mine, i like the customization you can do, but i dont get stressed out about realism. you see i have a drivers license like many, and its much more fun to actually drive and go to track days than to sit behide a screen all day getting sore thumbs on a dam pad.

any more news if it will be coming to PC?

10. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

explain how its an arcade racer. you cant because it ISNT. in the PC racing sims you can turn on driving aids an such to make it super easy to drive so I guess they are arcade racers too. your logic seems very demented. maybe if you actually explain why GT is an arcade racer (which it isnt) then this argument would have a point to it. but now all your doing is saying GTR2 is the most realistic thing in the world (i think there are much better racing sims than GTR2 anyways) and that GT is just an arcade game. back up your opinions or just quit it.

11. mew905

mew905 What's a Dremel?

Actually he's right, Gran Turismo is a driving simulator, simulating street cars anyone can go and buy out of a show room. GTR2 is a racing simulator, featuing cars teams of people have built and fine-tuned, and allows you to do the same.

Gran Turismo is a sim game, not arcade. I dont think you've ever played it, then again I dont think you drive either if you think it's nothing like it. I've topped out my cars at 190, 260, 180 (kph), and each delivered a white-knuckle experience where you basically hold on for dear life. Gran Turismo has delivered that exact same experience when topping out their cars with the G25. No, you dont need to take days to learn a course, then again it doesnt take me days to learn the route to work. You dont jump into your car, adjust the camber, switch tires, tilt the spoiler before driving somewhere do you? No, you get in and drive, driving is easy, GT is easy, seems pretty accurate to me.

GTR2 is a sim game as well, I think the cars are way too slippy-slidey honestly. Why is my 1990 camry capable of taking turns better than a full out race Lotus Elise with soft slicks and tons of downforce? Why can my Camry stop faster? The GTR2 cars accelerate stupidly fast, but I'd expect that of a race car. I've never driven a team race car, so I cant really compare but I would think (by common sense) that they need to handle better and stop quicker than a street car. And yes, I've tested this theory.

I kid you not, ProStreet is a better sim to me than GTR2. Its in personal preferences, I prefer street cars, you prefer race cars, two VERY different machines.

12. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

first off...... Holy Thread Revival Batman!!

second, yes GT is a driving sim. GTR2 is a racing sim and a really good one. Your '90 camry cannot take corners better than the cars in the game. Unless you are mixing up the kmh and mph.

And ProStreet is not a sim anyways. Personal preference doesnt matter. The fact is, Pro Street is not a sim. It's an arcade racer.

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

so it turned out GT stayed console exclusive......

ProStreet or any NFS are arcade, ProStreet is a stab at trying to be sim, yet stayed friendly to the arcade crowd, but it failed. the cars handle like crap, the controls are bad, and the visual customisation are unnecessary (since Ricer-ground) .

Race Driver: GRiD is the perfect balance between arcade and sim, and it balances it perfectly. just like the way GTA4 cars are handled, simi-real yet fun to drive.

14. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I don't think GT is a driving sim, you race but with normal cars. When it simulates my drive down to Morrisons obeying the speed limits or avoiding the traffic cops and speed cameras then it'll be a driving sim.

15. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

[Post retracted because I hadn't seen the date and the comment isn't so relevant any more.] :blush:

Last edited: 26 Dec 2008
  16. blood69

blood69 What's a Dremel?

F### GT5, Guys at LFS, rFactor and GTR, find a way to port GT5 contents (cars and tracks) to you're games.

I don't believe there are still people beliving that GT is a racing simulator, isn't even a riding simulator, for that TDU is far mutch better.
    So what is GT then, is a Performance and Car Parts Simulator, is that what it is, where you win money to buy shiny new performance parts to you're cars and see if that makes the car better or not.
    I have to say that is a very addictive game.
    But to buy parts and race for money there are better games even more addictive, for instance, NFS most wanted or the old Tokyo Highway Challenge.
    Im not saying that GT series is a bad game, what it should have is a monumental big place for racing like in TDU with the race tracks scattered thru the place, a little history should be nice to and a hardcore mode with the physics of the LFS or rFactor.
    Unfortunately there are no perfect car game.
    The thing that made me play GT2 and GT4 in the past, was the Jap cars and the detail of the tracks. But i passed most of the time doing experiments in the cars.

17. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Wow this thread just won't stay dead!

18. bw67958

bw67958 What's a Dremel?

I really hope they do, it would make me so happy

19. blood69

blood69 What's a Dremel?

After reading all the comments and to make the this thread more alive like steveo_mcg said, some time ago a made some experiments, i searched in youtube some old "Best Motoring" movies with Stock Honda Civic EG6 on it @ Suzuka and Tsukuba circuits. 1st i tried to do the same time with GT4 on both circuits and in the very 1st lap @ tsukuba i was betting the time of the DriftKing, how has that possible???. At Suzuka has taken more laps but was easy to beat the time by few seconds, i think because Suzuka is a bigger circuit.
    When i tried same in rFactor using a EG6 that someone (not a professional i suposed) set the variables for the physics of the car @ Tsukuba the time was the same. In Suzuka i got 2 seconds behind but with some more practice i think i can get the same time.
    I did the test in rFactor like driving a real car, using a G25 wheel using heel and Toe, left foot braking and clutch in all gear changes or the times would be less.
    So, a Mod for rFactor with Physics variables that was set by some guy in his room beet a big game franchise that is supose to be the "Drive of you're life"...

Try and do the same with other race sims and let us know the results.

Tags: Add Tags