1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Just though I would bring this to your attention

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DaveVader, 21 Apr 2008.

1. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

cheapest case evar!?

For someone wanting to do a first time mod but don't want to ruin a £50+ case then this seems like it would be pretty decent.
    No idea what it's like in the flesh but seems ok. Don't get the 3 external 3.5" bays though.

Edit: Maybe this should be in the FS forum under a bargain tag but it's a case you can mod so ...

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I learned to use tools/mod on a £15 case I got from Scan. It's an excellent way to learn, but dont plan on actually using the finished case for anything; if it's anything like my other case, it'll be too flimsy and small to stand up to being used.

(Great for practicing, though!)

3. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

That's ridiculous, you probably couldn't buy its weight in aluminum sheet for that price. It would be worth it just to hack up for raw materials.

4. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

That looks better than my current case!
    But then mine cost £15 with a PSU :D

5. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

would it actually be??

6. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

woah thats like cheaper than the cases i bought of trademe to hack up.
    you could probably buy it just for the materials it is made of

7. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Wish it was a US deal. I would get a few of those. $11 if any American was wondering.

8. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

It doesn't look to bad

I thought Newegg had a case for around ~$15, but it was a POS

9. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

in my experiences with cases, you get what you pay for. i used a case similar to that one before and it didn't cost much more. it dented easily scratched easily the paint on the plastic wore off, plastic parts broke off. so i would say your better off dropping a little more cash for a case thats going to last.

10. CobraMods

CobraMods Gettin there slowly

at the end of the day, most people who build pc's dont really do it for transport or moving around alot. they build a pc the way they want it and set it in one area where it sits unmoving until something either needs replacing or updating. theres no real reason a cheaper case wouldnt be perfect for a beginners mod or even an experienced modders project as issues with panels and structure are normally altered and twisted to suit the builders needs anyhow.now if yer building one for lan parties or shows i would prolly shy away from this low end of the budget market but for joe schmoe who just wants a box to mod on his own and be proud of this could be just the ticket =o)

11. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

I'm really tempted to order myself one ... along with a dremel :dremel:

Coincidentally, anyone had any experience with cheap eBay dremels or the like?!
    Maybe not that cheap, but there are some dotted about on eBay but I was wondering if they would just fall apart in my hand?!

12. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

I would probably buy one just to get the I/O panel and the mobo tray. They can be flimsy all the way, as long as the case isn't. And it wouldn't in a scratch build project.

Unfortunately I cannot get them here. :(

13. capnPedro

Lan Party! :naughty:

14. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

That is brilliant! Best deal I have ever seen, and its aluminium, not steel. Cheers for that dude! I bought one of those cheap dremels from ebay. £15 inc P&P. Not very good. Honestly, I reckon its worth buying one from Argos or something by the original 'Dremel' company. The eBay cheapo ones do rotate, but are of poor quality. And they have poor accessories. On that note, ebuyer.com do some good power tool deals, and these are of decent quality:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Home-&-Leisure/cat/DIY---Power-Tools?refmen=tn
    be sure to have a look. Haven't seen any dremels there myself though...

15. capnPedro

16. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

That is a damn good deal for someone who can't afford upper-tier stuff and still wants a decent-looking case instead of pulling the trigger on that Rosewill. I too wish it were a US deal.

17. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Me too! I actually saw a discussion on one of the UK forums where they were going to run a "build off" style contest where like 20 people would be chosen to get this case at cost and see what they could come up with. Never seen anything like that for us colonials.
    John

18. marcus000

marcus000 Watercooling Mad

hehe theres no limit on the number of people allowed to participate guys so jump on in!

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3210

Also, postage on the cases is £7.99 but it remains the same even if you buy 2,3 or 4! :D
    Last time we checked our supplier had about 80 of each left and then once they're gone, they're gone.

PS: My God new's travels fast these days!! :)

19. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

That would be nice, but I already have a cache of cases still ready to be cut on though, lol. But I still would simply for the price!

20. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

those cases are some of the best quality i have ever modded built like tanks. the ones that used to be cheap were cheap because chenbro stupidly had a standard atx mobo setup cut from the case rather than a standard i/o plate oblong cut out. So only bog standard mobo's fit em (but easily modded) Stupid of manufacturer but trust me superb cases. Scan did em

Last edited: 23 Apr 2008