1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP / Vita PSP owners questions

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by BigD79, 24 Apr 2008.

1. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

I'm thinking of getting a 2nd hand PSP (slim probably white).
    Wanting to tinker around with remote play and wireless on the move sounds cool, does the browser work well?
    What is the media player like? How much content can you save to it (I don't have tons of tracks, but fancy putting some vids on)? What’s the play back like? Any app's that can enhance the experience?
    Any other advice for a potential PSP owner?

2. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Do it mate :)
    vid playback is excellent. I convert stuff with Super for full res (480x272) playback. Movies go down to about 400 - 500MB at good quality.

Lots of good games too.
    Patapon
    God of War
    PES
    various golf games
    metal gear solid
    ace combat

etc

the browser sucks IMO. I've got the fat version with less RAM, the slim one is meant to handle web browsing better. Not my cup of tea, my phone works better.

3. Daniel114

Daniel114 What's a Dremel?

Agree with mushky, I've got a ye olde style one and although I tend to use it only for games, the media side/internet is pretty cool on it, nice screen as well

Will you be using it with pS3?

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I love mine, as I've got it running a homebrew firmware (3.90 M33-3 iirc) which basically means I can play a load of games from the 8GB card, instead of carrying a load of UMD's around. I've had a look at Remote Play (although not actually remotely) and it's pretty good. You basically get the full PS3 menu and playback of music, videos, etc through the PSP screen. Pretty awesome sat on the throne and watching the Wipeout HD trailer. Apparently, some games allow remote play, but I haven't found any that do, yet. The browser is okay, it's usable, the buttons you use are a bit of a strange configuration so it's not intuitive if you don't use it much, but it works.

The media player is good, works well. Obviously, the size of the card determines how much you can save onto it (£51.69 for 8GB). I think mp4's are generally the best video format for a psp.

I'd read up on how to upgrade/downgrade firmwares, as it'll open the psp up a fair amount to you. Here's the main page for files needed

5. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I've heard about a microSD adaptor, SDHC I think, coming out soon which will mean big storage for cheap!

6. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

If you want internet on the move get an iPod Touch, the browser is a million times better.

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

agreed: PSP does movies and games well, but browsing sucks. arguably the ipod touch has a better video UI, but the fact that it's crippled by very strict format support puts it down a notch. web browsing is buttery smooth though.

8. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

Yeah will be doing.

I guess browsing will not be the most important factor for me as long as it plays games (Patapon looks good) and music/movies.

Is the PSP browser on a similar par with the PS3 browser?

9. kenco_uk

Similar, not as much to it. Patapon is good fun - ending's a
    bit odd though.

10. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Dont forget the rss feeds, you can save rrs feeds and download your podcasts every day and then play them back on the move like I do. There is also some digital radio channels if you want to use it as a radio while at home or from a internet cafe.

Remote play works well. Ive used it to play back music and videos stored on a external hard disk plugged into the ps3. Ive also used remote play to play ps1 games, saves storage space on my psp. The games you buy from the PSN work on remote play like pixeljunk mosters.

I used remote play twice over the internet from a cafe which worked well, and was able to play ps1 games without any problems. The good thing is that you dont need to leave the PS3 switched on, remote play allows you to switch the PS3 on over the internet or on your internal network.

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I just got myself a second hand one too. Funny that. Make sure you get a 1GB memory card.

12. mushky

mushky gimme snails

1GB is too small IMO especially as 4GB is less than £30 now

13. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

are you pleased with it?

How much "stuff" can you get per gig on a mem stick?

Also, what sort price should i be looking at and is there any where in particular to look (ebay, cex?)

Thanks for all your input btw, very helpful! :thumb:

14. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Dont get any memory cards off ebay, most likely going to end up with a fake one.

15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

PSP browser is not as good as the PS3 Browser, it works in the same manner just not as compatible most forums work fine etc but hey for incompatible sites you can always switch your PS3 on remotely and access its browser at a much higher res, 720x576 res (or is it 1024x576 )for PS3 browser via remote play on PSP is very usable.

I have 4 PS1 games and a few PSP demos on my PSP 4G and still have 2.9 Gb free.

Last edited: 25 Apr 2008
  16. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Some games are bigger than 1GB if that's what you mean. Some are under 100MB.
    Make sure to get an official Sony or Sandisk card. The fake ones aren't as good or fast, and aren't cheap enough any more to justify themselves.

after a quick look round, found these:
    http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...-Memory-Stick-Pro-Duo/Product.html?P36=87DAGP
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDM...S/ref=pd_sbs_ce?ie=UTF8&qid=1208156712&sr=1-6

17. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

:thumb: thanks mushky! :thumb:

whats a fair price for a 2nd hand PSP?

18. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Around a ton if it's got some bits with it, don't really know. Slims are only £130 new

19. kenco_uk

I use DAX's ISO Maker to convert iso's to ciso, stripping out any unnecessary bits from the game like updates or blank files. I think I've got a couple of dozen games or so on my 8GB stick. Some are very small, like Mercury, some are big, like Sims 2.

20. Daniel114

Daniel114 What's a Dremel?

I've got a 4 gig card, and am seriously considering upping to an 8 when I get some spare cash... same old thing with storage, the more you get, the more you want, always something to fill it with.

I was always told to find if the card is real or fake, just goto the 'Memory Stick' tab on something like Games, press triangle, then information, and check that it says that 'Magic Gate' is supported

Tags: