1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ballmer: XP will stay if customers want it

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 25 Apr 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Only problem I can see with this is that they'll go by how many copies XP continues to sell. People buying pre-built PCs will get ones with Vista - not because they like Vista more than XP (chances are they won't much of a clue about either). With Microsoft selling copies of Vista to OEMs cheaper than XP, the OEMs will pass on that extra cost to the purchaser. This will result in the purchaser opting (most likely) for the cheaper option, which would be Vista.

Other issue is that the people who don't really want to shift to Vista likely already have copies of XP, and won't want to be buying more copies than they need.

So Microsoft win either way.

3. Kierax

Kierax What's a Dremel?

Nicely put.

4. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

Can we still buy keys for the software? I have the disk.

5. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I guess it goes to show how good XP really has been tuned out to be. Becuase of its super long life, there are now hundreds of thousands of forum threads around the internet for exery possible problem that could happen to your windows XP install. google is like an extended windows XP manual now.

6. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

If customers still want XP? Are they Nutz? Of course people still want XP, XP works fine, Improvements to the video driver to enable DirectX 10 could possibly be made in XP, I mean why reinvent the Wheel MS? Some users will get tired of Vista and have either turned off UAC making Vista into little more than a gussied up XP or just gone back to XP. Besides not all hardware will run under Vista. And there are people Who can't buy Your new shiny OS, Like Me and I have 5 PCs with XP loaded on them, 4 in XP Pro x64 and one in XP Pro(x32), So It would be quite expensive for Me to upgrade. I won't even get into much about Apples campaign to woo XP users to the MAC which has grown their share of the computer market to about 14% from around 4%. Oh and to You overclockers, MACs aren't overclockable at all as the Firmware won't allow It.

7. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

if it goes EOL are we allowed to Pirate it?????

hypothetically speaking?

8. Paolo

Paolo What's a Dremel?

Ah, no. As you mention - it's still `piracy' even although MS don't sell it any more.

By the same token, another company couldn't just grab an XP iso from the web after EOL and start spinning off copies for profit (legally)...

9. quack

quack Minimodder

No. Don't be silly. It'll still be under US copyright for a ridiculous number of years.

10. Penrhos

Penrhos What's a Dremel?

I'd have loved to buy XP Pro with my new laptop but couldn't find anywhere that would sell me it without Vista on.

I benchmarked it with Vista - out of box & with all the crap turned off - Aero etc.... and it was much quicker.

Then as a test I stuck XP Pro on and it was subtantially quicker, I'd be running XP if I could but there are no XP drivers for some of the hardware inside. Vista is just bloatware - supposedly more secure but still bloatware. Why should an o/s need to use almost 50% of one core of a CPU and need two gigs of ram to run when I can run Windows 2003 Server or XP-Pro for half the overhead.

At work we are using XP Fundimentals on most of our desktop kit because out of over 3000 PC's only a handfull are Vista compatible. All new kit is downgraded to XP (if possible) as we do not see any future in deploying Vista into the corperate environment for the forseable future.

11. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

"System builders are still scheduled to stop selling machines with Windows XP installed"

As I remember companies like Dell did this, and went back to selling XP along with Vista

Come on MS, no one wants Vista, admit it and hurry up with Windows 7

12. Blassster

Blassster What's a Dremel?

I used to work at a place like Radio Shack in the fall, and almost every computer customer was disappointed and/or angry that we only sold vista machines.

13. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Personally I'd like to see a switch to a pure 64-bit OS - with XP as an included component run in virtualization.

Sadly I'm starting to agree with those that claim Vista is like Windows 3.0 / 95 / ME - all quickly surpassed by 3.11 / 98SE / XP - even as far back as my DOS days I skipped from 3.3 to 5 since 4 was a mess.

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

XP dies and i need a XP licence and i can't get it... then i will simply put linux in it.

edit: i also consider that Vista is very good.

15. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Agreed, I have it on one of my machines and have not had any issues at all - However, with the plan for Windows 7 so soon it feels like Vista is merely a half step to something else.

16. koola

koola Minimodder

Quick OS 10.5 is shipping, get Windows 7 and a half (codename Vista) RTM!

:lol:

17. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Did you disable Windows Defender, as well? It's the biggest resource hog on a clean Vista install. Apparently, Defender slows general use by 10% and disk access by over 50%. Disable it, and everything runs as smoothly as XP. And don't claim that you've just negated all the benefits of Vista; it's only an antivirus program. There's still quite a bit more security underneath which doesn't kill your performance.

I quite like Vista, actually. It's not compelling enough to switch from my perfectly good XP install (I'm pretty lazy and what I have works well) but I also don't consider it some horrible curse. If my computer currently had Vista on it, I'd be just as happy.

18. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

well react OS and wine along with debian looks like it will be system of choice in the future. I currently run winowsXP/ubuntu duel boot atm.

19. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I recently bought a new laptop, took an image of the hard drive and scrubbed Vista in favour of XP Pro. That way If I have to return it I can restore the drive to its original state. Vista isn't too bad but I'm still keeping XP as I simply prefer it, I'll stick with it until I'm forced to change.
    I kind of think that Microsoft seem to be listening to the public regarding the future of XP but they are making it as difficult as possible. Probably because they don't want to have to make a humiliating climb down and go back a step with a major event like Vista, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

20. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

What do you expect? MS have said they cant get hold of it after a certain time

The companies have to start trying to sell it, otherwise consumers will realize, and ask - why aren't they selling it? (and then realize how much a POS it is)
    Not forgetting they need to get some kind of support base setup

As more and more MS software is for Vista, and DX10 only its not surprising

Not forgetting the fact XP prices are rising and its harder to find copies as MS tries to kill it off

Tags: Add Tags