1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Silverstone Treasure TS01B 2.5" Enclosure

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Apr 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

I think it was Baldur's Gate II

When reviewing Joe, remember to go for the eyes!!

3. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

If it was stolen, Can the thief not just take out the disk and put it in another enclosure?

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Nice, but I got my aluminium one for £2 off Amazon, so I don't see how this is £20 better than that.

5. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i think it would have something to do with the actual drive, since it has to be formatted first but thats just a guess

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

"arrrrr!!!! wers me Treasure ?"

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Well recognised - Minsc's response when approached by Devin.

8. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Does it feature encryption, unlocked by the RFID key fob, or does it just "unlock" the disk ? (Which *could* be bypassed I think by mounting the drive in another machine and fiddling with it, I think)
    Without encryption the system might be useless.
    Does anyone know where I could find some Y usb cable like the one on the pic ? (1x miniB, 2x usb male : 1 for power and 1 for signal and power ) as I have a WD passport, which comes with a straight USB to mini B cable, and is sufficient to power it from my PC, but my brother's laptop can't power it, so I need such cable.

9. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

what g3n3tix said,

I mean you talked about the RFID crap, but you never mentioned EXACLTY how the RFID makes it "secure"

if the data on it is not encrypted, whats the point?

10. TheEclypse

TheEclypse What's a Dremel?

I imagine the RFID tag gives the encryption key. Thats why it needs a blank drive to start with, because it assumes all data on the drive is encrypted. If it cant distinguish between which files are encrypted, then all must be otherwise everything you had on there to start with will be turned into rubbish by the decryption.

11. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

So, when connecting something like this to a pc, you have to have both the USB connection and the USB power connection? Right? Or can it just pull the power off of the existing mini USB port?

I have a WD passport that just needs one cord, and I love that fact.....

:)

12. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

IIRC both cables are needed

13. Pricester

Pricester What's a Dremel?

Does the RFID tag have to remain in place the whole time you're using the drive, or just to connect? Given the usual state of my desk, I can see some non-comic moments when shifting things around, knocking the key fob off the exact spot and finding the file copy that had been going on for the last 20 minutes mysteriously aborted...

14. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I happened to review the same enclosure recently and it also works with just one USB-cable connected to the PC. Outlawaol: It's the same 2,5" HDDs inside all of these drives so how do you think some drives would require more power? :)

And also; I tried removing the HDD from the enclosure after the encryption process and swapped it back to a normal casing. Windows didn't find any partitions on it, so I'd say it's encrypted instead of just being "locked". And I also think it's a good thing the drive shows as empty as the thief/the one who finds the lost drive will most likely just considers it new and empty because of that.

You have to just show it to the drive once and it keeps going until you disconnect it.

15. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry, but this review seems a little - well half ass-ed

You say its secure because it has RFID - how is it secure? did you even test its secure?

When the encryption is a selling point of this drive (its why your paying the money) - would it not be worth testing this?

How easy is it to bypass the RFID protection? is the encryption actually secure, or just to stop casual's?

2.5" drives don't have a particular power limit

they are 5v, however they can vary in the Wattage/Amperage they need - i guess this is what would kill it

I also got a WD passport, mainly due to the fact it runs purely off USB which makes life ALOT easier (especially with like laptops)

16. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Please go ahead and tell me how to fake an RFID-tag. I'll be happy to test as soon as you come up with something :) I also have no idea how to test how "secure" an encryption of some HDD is, go ahead and tell some software for testing this as well.

2,5" drives don't have a specified maximal power requirement, but I'd assume they all take pretty much the same current in the 5 V line. (i.e. if one 5400 RPM 2,5" drive works from a single USB-cable then so do most of the others. It depends more on the USB host than the drive...)

17. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Anyone knows where to find a Y usb cable ? I've failed in my search.
    My Passport only needs 1 plug, but I might need 2 on another PC because it won't start up.

As for encryption : I read an article about a similar hdd w/ rfid, and the guy tested the "encryption" (it was just a xor, claiming AES !)
    http://www.heise-online.co.uk/security/Enclosed-but-not-encrypted--/features/110136/0
    So much for security.
    IT APPLIES TO THIS DISK !! (read end of article)

18. DannyDirect

DannyDirect What's a Dremel?

someone steals it, pop off the end, end of story lol, however, who is going to steal your hard drive, the only modern day thief's are called Chavs and im not sure they even know what a hard drive is lol, have a nice day.

19. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Its been a month and bit-tech has not answered any questions above relating to the review which is a shame as im interested in this enclosure too.

20. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I bought one of these yesterday from Scan which arrived today.

However im very disapointed because I for the love of god can not get this darn thing to work.

My hard disk works fine, I plugged it up to my desktop and formated it as NTFS and installed it into the silverstone case and then nothing. None of my 2 laptops will detect a disk and neither does my desktop. I removed it and plugged it back into my desktop and removed the partition all together and tried again. Still nothing so I formated it fat32 and again no detection.

Is this a case of dud equipment or am i doing somehting wrong ??????

All I get is a blue light when I plug it in. For information im using a 40GB Segate 2.5 SATA hard disk.

So far ive wasted 2 and a half hours tring to get an enclsoure to work:wallbash:

Last edited: 1 Aug 2008
Tags: Add Tags