1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Most Disappointing Game you ever played?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by cmberry20, 29 Apr 2008.

1. cmberry20

cmberry20 Mad Scientist

Well, we've got the ‘Best Game you have ever played’ thread - so why not a ‘Most Disappointing Game thread.’

Now, I'm not talking about bad games, but games that you thought were not as good as reviews/people made out. Great games that didn’t seem that great; or great games that had very disappointing endings.

Everyones opinion is there own. Please do not start flame wars just because someone dislikes your favourite game.

I’ll kick off with

1. Bioshock.
    Good game but not as good as everyone made out. Not as free roaming as I liked & to me lacked a certain ‘wow’ factor. Most Big Daddy encounters were the same & the lost boss was pitifully easy.

2. Command & Conquer – Generals.
    Hated – Hated – Hated. A sore boil on the C&C series. Loved every single C&C game & was so excited when this came out, only to find to was just plain boring & dull. No excitement, no characters, no FMV. How anyone like this is beyond me.

3. Dues-Ex
    Just couldn’t get into it. Played it for about an hour & got really bored. It has always been on my list of games to got back & play, but because there was no spark to begin with I just dismiss it as a decent game.

2. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I know what you mean about Deus Ex. Attempted 3 or 4 times to play it, never got more than a few hours into it. however, trying it again now and getting a bit further in to it. Also agree on bioshock, but my main criticism is the fact that you've got everything at your disposal, ie, tons of trick and massive guns with plenty of ammo. and respawn tins.

my biggest dissapointment was quake wars tho. i so looked forward to that. so desperately wanted it to be good. i played it for two weeks then never again. such a shame...
    i think my main criticism was no built in team speak. i mean, WHAT?! no team speak!? on a multiplayer game dependant on team play?! WHAT?! and i didn't like the way all my unlocks got reset every new game. there was nothing to work towards.

3. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Deus Ex - Invisible war that game SUCKED ASS!!!!!

And I didnt really enjoy generals since you mention it, then again I got it as part of the first decade pack, so for 30 quid i got everything so it really lessened the blow.

4. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

oh, i never played it, but i'm gonna say daikatana! from what i've heard, probably the biggest suckiest game ever! still, i'll download it one day just to see how bad it really was...

5. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

QFT. Loved Deus Ex, played through it at least a dozen times using every conceivable combination of skills, weapons, and implants. I had such expectations for the sequel and it turned out to be the worst consolized POS in history.

6. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

CS: Condition Zero.

7. cmberry20

cmberry20 Mad Scientist

^ Daikatana was a bad game, so you cant really include it.

I'm talking about games that got high marks in reviews & which people loved - but you found 'disappointing'

8. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

TF2 - how they can put a 2 on the end of it shocks me, compared with TF, TFC etc this seems to have been made by complete fools
    COD4 - too short
    Bioshock - I just thought was rubbish
    Kane and lynch - bad, bad, bad, multiple problems with it

9. Daniel114

Daniel114 What's a Dremel?

+1

Had such high hopes for this

10. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

disappointing?

hmm, good question. Halo 3 was totally not the second coming everyone make it out to be. it was just like playing halo 2, and that was just like playing halo 1. so basically it hadn't moved on at all. oh sure the online matchmaking stuff is great, but the single player? very disappointed.
    I'm gonna go with bioshock too, i was so interested in it mainly because of the touted moral ambiguity, which turned out to be a total cop-out. It also lacked a certain something to draw me in, which was a shame as i honestly did want to like it.

anyoen who didn't like deus ex needs to get their head examined, however.

11. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

ash, see what you mean.

well in that case...yeh Quake Wars...i still wish it was enjoyable....

FOD, you better examine my head. cuz it just didn't suck me in like everyone says it did.

Last edited: 29 Apr 2008
  12. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Daikatana
    Counter Strike (all)
    GTA3
    Halo 3
    Every movie spin off ever
    Grantourismo Series

Pretty much any game recently to get a 10/10

13. Fod

it has a slow build-up, and it's a little cerebral. you need to be a bit of a bookworm to fully appreciate it, i think.
    it gets MENTAL later on, though.

14. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

Deus Ex has a somewhat frustrating start when your skills and abilities are low, and a huge payoff later on when you get your skills up especially if you specialize in a few areas. I love it that you can never get enough upgrades to max out everything, but the game is still viable no matter which strategy you choose.

Another game that disappointed me was Black & White. Never came close to living up to the hype. Civ 3 comes to mind as well. So many things wrong with it out of the box; I hear it was mostly fixed in the expansions but guess what? If the game sucks I don't buy the expansions.

15. Fod

that's just molyneux; he always promises the world with his games but they turn out to be just a little bit crap.

16. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

Except for Dungeon Keeper 2, but that's probably because he departed before it was finished.

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Anyone listing Deus Ex as a dissapointing game needs to a: kill themselves, or b: play it untill they can remember every doorcode, most of the dialogue lines, and love it more than any randomly chosen two members of their immediate family.

(if it helps any of you decide, I went with b)

18. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Need for Speed ProStreet
    Forza Motorsport 2
    Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
    Rainbow Six Vegas

Complete jokes to me. ProStreet being the only game I've ever had whose installation was significantly longer than its already long installation.

19. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

20. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Liar lol

The following are my most disapointing and the only games I regret purchasing. Average playtime less than 20mins.

Deus Ex - (Dont understand how people like this, seems like more people like it now than when it came out back then. Knowone I knew bought it and I didnt get it because I knew about it or because there was hype or anything. THe game is just pants.)

Mario 64 (Worst ever, should have stuck to 2D like the DS Mario)

Final Fantasy VII (Bought because everyone says its great, didnt realise its a turn base game of pants)

Zelda Windwaker (Again as above, due to hype. Started playing it and it was like a kiddie little adventure game. Just pants)

PGR2 & 3 (I tried twice with this game to give it a chance and both times found it boring)

Need for Speed - all of them except the original. (Hate most the recent games when they started going to street racing after the Fast & Furious movies, games were just crap and never been as good as the original. Still own the original on Sega Saturn, Its a classic.)

Anymore I can think of, ill add later.