1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Most Disappointing Game you ever played?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by cmberry20, 29 Apr 2008.

1. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Bioshock or GTA 3/SA

2. K

K 528491

The above post made me cry.

3. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

QFT. QFMFT. As a RTS game Generals is mediocre at best but as a C&C game its a total abomination, its obvious the C&C name was just stuck on a run of the mill RTS to up the sales. I cannot stand this game and whenever I'm talking about the good C&C games (such as Red Alert) people occasionally pipe up with "I have Generals, thats a good game" and send me off on a hefty rant.

As an RTS its not even the same gameplay style as C&C games, no focus on resource gathering or anything. Pile of s***.

4. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Fable (1st release) great playability, too short
    Halo 3 - enjoyable, but WAAAAAAAAYYY too hyped up.
    Mass Effect

5. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

BIOSHOCK - seriously so many sites droped the ball on this one
    Worms 3d... much less fun than 2d... bad idea
    I'L2 complete pack - way way too simmmy I thought it would be more instant action like the demo
    COD2... not a patch on cod1
    Starfleet command 3... bought after playing SFC2 demo... FAR LESS DEPTH THAN SFC2! :(

most of all genrals I found it to the be the worst RTS I have ever played and I was looking forward to it after all the descriptions in pure pwnage.. so when I eventualy played it it was terible.

6. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

halo 2, never got far in it on the xbox (probably didnt help that i was into the keyboard/mouse at that stage), may try it on the pc at some point should be cheap as chips now

7. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

Halo PC

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

well i guess i'm gonna hafta go kill meself then get my head examined. or the other way around. honestly, if you gotta play a game several times over to learn door codes (and btw, i do realise that you mean several times over to appreciate different endings) then something might be inherently wrong with the game itself. put it this way, many many hours of gameplay to begin enjoying a game sounds wrong. and so far i've found the dialogue dull and uninspiring-serving a purpose of moving along the story line and nothing more.

9. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

nah you misunderstood, he;s just saying once you play it once you'll WANT to play it again. you can see all the endings just by loading the final 'encounter' from an earlier save, but that's not the point: it's one of the most open games you'll ever play in terms of how you approach levels; far better than bioshock in how it offers players a real choice in the way they overcome obstacles.

for example, i once played through the entire game without killing a single person (aside from the people it is unavoidable to kill), or firing any projectile weapon. i just became a hacker/stealth extraordinaire and worked the system to suit my needs. the key here is that regardless of the method you choose, you are never at a disadvantage - the amount of balancing and thought that has gone into the design of the levels is staggering. the sheer variety of environments too is mind-boggling for a game of its era.
    seriously, play the game beyond the first level - it picks up quite quickly and you'd enjoy it for sure.

10. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

GTA:LSC on the PS2 - it just didn't deliver, poor port, poorer game.

11. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

hmmm....i see where you're coming from and I can appreciate the balancing, and the story line and the options and variety etc....but i just don't enjoy the game. it's well balanced, yes, but it lacks (and I hate to use this phrase) but it lacks that "X-Factor" for me. Something is missing that makes me really want to stay up all night and play it through to the end. Don't ask what it is. It just doesn't do it. It's like Beyonce Knowles. She's hot, big breasted and full figured but I wouldn't.

12. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Halo - all of them were pretty mediocre.
    Episode 1 - just didn't go anywhere.
    Every Zelda game ever - they are all the same, all of them are pretty banal and none of them has as deep or interesting a plot or whatever as fans insist.
    Escape From Monkey Island - was just awful, consolified, mediocre boring turd.
    Doom 3 - such a samey letdown.

Games that surprised me the most:
    Castlevania - I really thought I was going to hate that.

And there's only one person you need to kill IIRC.
    Anna Navarre
    . Everyone else can be avoided, disabled peacefully, talked down or run past. You're supposed to have to kill
    Walter Simons
    and Gunther Hermann[/spoiler] too, but you can get past them both easily or kill them without firing a shot.

I understand that Deus Ex is hyped up massively, but I think it really is one of those games which delivers on the hype. People not liking it either just aren't into games of that type or hating on it to be different IMO. It isn't like BioShock where it was hyped up and failed to deliver on the promises - it really does have the freedom people say it does.

13. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Deus Ex made it from 'good' to 'great' for me the moment you learn and then get to use the kill phrases. Death to bosses just by saying a single word, utterly awesome.

Most dissapointing game? Deus Ex 2 was pretty crap, I remember all the hype out bouncing sounds and directional light and all this, and not only was the story uninvolving but it made the henious crime of looking rubbish whilst still playing rubbish, it was a real shame.

The one that really jumps to mind though? Doom 3. I'm not saying I don't love Doom 3, I do, and I honestly think it's a great game, but I've read the original interviews, I've seen extracts of the original design documents, I've played the alpha, and I realise just how unbelievably awesome it could have been. Originally it was going to be far more of a survival horror than the arcade blaster it turned out to be. Heavy on story, high on tension, low of blasting things. Large, none linear levels, a hub system, RPG type sub plots, choices that made a genuine difference to the game, it could have been one of the greatest games ever made, and instead ended up a (albiet brilliant) nostalgia trip to the days of bad enemy AI and big guns. I love it dearly, but it was a wasted opportunity.

14. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

1: Bioshock - It wasn't interesting at all. The weapon system was bad, and I got sick of solving all those damn hacking games. To bad, really. I liked the environment and mood of the game.
    2: Worms 3D - It's just bad. And it's hopeless to control.
    3: All NFS games after Hot pursuit. - They are all the same, and have very slight variations. The later games are just for those who like the Fast and the furious movies (which also suck).
    4: Dreamfall The longest journey - It's not even a game! It's a semi-interactive movie! Just a whole lot of cutscenes. I loved the environment and the story, though. This game could have been so much more!

15. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

I agree with that, I find it interesting that FPS games are having to have far more complex storylines then their predecessors and most opt for some type of RPG element enhancement.

I think most people expected something new and fresh for Doom III and all they got was Doom I and II with top of the line graphics. (A+ for pushing the uber shadows and lightning effects main stream)

My List:

1) FFVII - Everyone says this is the best FF and what not, but it's the only one where I'm not inclined to continue. 8,9,10,12 all made me want to keep playing those extra few hours. VII is the only one where I was just like, eff this noise.
    2) Titan Quest - The supposed Diablo killer. This is one that really did not grab me at all.
    3) Vanguard - EFF SOE up the EFFIN EFFER! This game had MASSIVE potential, but they got nothing right at all. PVP was laughable, leveling was a massive pain and crafting lost it's neatness after the third big order. This game was full of fail, and could have been so much better...
    4) Devil May Cry 4 - WTF? This game reminds me of KH, but is far more clunky in the game play. The controls were a bit shoddy and I just didn't enjoy it.

16. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Had to be CS for me. I played a lot of CS:CZ and decided i'd finally try the multi-player. Unfortunatly i have a devout hatred of mouthy 14 year olds, so it wasn't much fun. I guess that's not really a problem with the game itself, but the expierience overall sucked massively.

17. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Bioshock
    Zelda games

18. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Im going to say without a doubt C&C 3 on 360. My housemate had it on PC and loved it, I love the series, I love RTS games. The game was definatly not suited to control via two analogue sticks. Although this may be my lack of thought with regards to how you can control a RTS without a keyboard and mouse.

Halo 3 while a good game didnt feel to me much like it concluded anything.

Mario 64 DS. Enjoyed the N64 game, went straight ahead and got the DS one, something just felt wrong.

Finally, Resident Evil 2, Went on the advice of friends and picked up the gamecube version, played through it once, never felt compelled to play through for the alternate stories.

19. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Dude...seriously... I'm gonna throw up or something.

This thread has turned brother against brother. Look, we made Dave cry.

20. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Don't get me wrong - I like some Zelda games (OOT is massively overrated and Twilight Princess is just awful, but Phantom Hourglass is great and A Link To The Past is decent too), but I was still disappointed by them. People hold them up like the holy grail, demanding that each and everyone is a landmark achievement and utterly enthralling. The reality is though that once you've played one then you've played them all and they are very, very samey and rudimentary. The first ones, sure, they established the genre and really made a difference. Since then though, I've played indie games for free in the same mould and of better, more emotional quality.

I like Zelda and all - but it ain't all that.