1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Virgin Media offers iPlayer via TV

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 May 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Is this only available to people with the 'samuel L' service?

3. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Well, it's all nice that they're spending money on more services but.... couldn't they instead spend the ££ on getting the infrastructure updated and reliable? My 20mbit line certainly isn't 20mbit. And when it approaches speeds of near 20mbit, it's short lived and throttled during the times I use the net.

Personally, as a VM subscriber, I'd much prefer faster & more reliable bandwidth than extra services because, if you're infrastructure ain't there, what's the point?

4. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I am (sadly) using Virgin ADSL, which completly blocks all Iplayer traffic, at all times of the day. Nice to see they treat thier users so differently dependant on which way you connect.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Serious? We get iPlayer just fine.

6. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

cable or DSL though rich?

7. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I'm on Virgin ADSL and I get iPlayer no worries. Are you sure you've not accidentally blocked it on your side, through your router for instance?

8. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

20mb bb you cant expect the web site your downloading from or viewing to give you 2.5MB/s all the time (use an download manager that uses mutisource links to the download files) , speed depends on what the other end can send it at or if you downloaded/upload total 3gb (its combined) between 4pm and 10pm it sets off an 5mb bb speed limit for 4 hrs (from the time it is started so if you do it 1 min before 10pm you get the idea) you can still download +100gb even with this limit far better then BT with 2gb limts up to 60gb per month

9. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

@leexgx - oh no, i fully accept that. Not every midget sex website I visit can send me the quality material at 2.5MB/s :) But, I do know that when I down load drivers frmo say Nvidia, Apple, or installables from other very popular, high end companies at my work, they come in a very fast speeds -- much faster than at home. And speed tests show that I rarely have the ability to rec speeds of what VM are charging me for.

I suppose my gripe is, if I pay for 20mbit speeds, I expect to have *unfiltered/uncapped/dethrottled* speeds 24/7. And if not, then VM should be spending their money on making sure I and everyone else does have that, as opposed to loads more services, some of which prolly only go to fill up the webbernet connection... :/

10. koola

koola Minimodder

Virgin media is destroying web neutrality! I bet this is another sly attempt to get more companies on board before rolling out their "fast/slow lane" model nationwide.

See my sig link for more details.

Last edited: 2 May 2008
Tags: Add Tags