1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Most Disappointing Game you ever played?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by cmberry20, 29 Apr 2008.

1. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

call of duty 2 (sp was ok, but multiplayer was 50 steps backwards after COD: UO)

2. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

The first time I playe DE I nearly gave up in frustration as I simply kept getting killed on the first mission, then I learned how to play the game when my skills were poor and then I began to get "it". I then realised that simply from the point of how many options there were and the simply incredible amount of possible paths due to your (in)actions here were that this was a stunning game. Then when you add in the other aspects I realise why this game gets so much praise, its a shame that not everyone likes it or could get into it.

Biggest dissapointment that I can think of was one of the few games I actually bought on the reputation of its predecessor and that was Halo 2 - just a major let down after I had enjoyed Halo so much.

3. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Agreed after the brilliance of CoD:UO, CoD2 was just awful.

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Agreed on the entire CoD series after Cod:UO. The MP's are ok, but the SP's are just terrible.

5. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I didn't like Final Fantasy IX. I didn't get all tyhe hoopla over one of your magic user's resembling the classic Black Mage. Ok they threw us a throwback bone, still doesn't make for the fact that I just could not get over everyone ridiculously enormous heads in that game. I hated the main character and his stupid tail, and I hated his nemisis even more. I though "trance" was a stupid idea compared the likes of Onminslash and Lionheart final attacks. And the Moogles have no arms? WTF?! I just couldn't connect on any level with the characters in the game. I couldn't even finish it. I hated almost every minute of the game I did put into it. Folks disliked FF VIII but holy crap did IX feel like all sorts of wrong.

6. cmberry20

cmberry20 Mad Scientist

If anyone else slags of Final Fantasy VII I'm going to spontaneous combust....

... only kidding, this is one of the reasons why I started this thread - its good to see peoples differences & tastes when it comes to games.

however - I've noticed nobody has mentioned Golden Eye or Metal Gear Solid......

7. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

Thats because anyone who mentions Goldeneye in this thread as a "dissapointment" would incur the wrath of the gaming gods.

That game was a landmark, one of the best games made. Fair enough it may not be to some people's taste but just not liking a game doesn't make it a dissapointment in my eye.

To me, a dissapointment is a game that doesn't do anything new or innovative but is just another cookie cutter game. Whether I like the game or now I can appretiate if a game is doing something innovative.

8. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

black
    and
    white
    two.
    watched with anticipation for years. bought it when it came out. so dissapointed. simcity with a cow.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Stranglehold. Either that, or maybe CoD2.

Although I can't agree with spec on the CoD SP's are crap theme - #4 was excellent. :D

10. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

11. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Well, at the moment my brain is still booting up, but 3 games strike me from the top of my head:
    Bioshock- Sorry people, it just didn't capture me, sure it was pretty, but that was it.
    That big game called Crysis- Just terrible, Everything i found required 10 billion billion bullets before falling to the ground, while i could only carry a handful of ammo.
    Battlefield 2142- Shocking, Buggy, Poor.

Maybe i shall remember more when i get home from work.
    Sam

12. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I don't know why anyone had their hopes up about Crysis in the first place. After Far Cry it was obvious we were in for a repeat performance of awful story, broken gameplay and difficulty and graphics too advanced for the time.

13. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Stalker, I got the 'gold' ending. It was like the developers were pointing and laughing at me for being stupid Westerner.

Deus Ex: Invisible War should get a mention, after the brilliance of Deus Ex we were hoping for so much more.

Call of Duty 2... Possibly the game I regret buying the most. It was like the developers distilled pure awful and fashioned it into a game.

14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

STALKER - quoted for truth. The game was horribly broken, mistranslated and awful in and unfair in the last leg.

Also, Boiling Point. Somehow I had high hopes for that.

15. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Blame Keiron Gillen for getting our hopes up for Boiling point - 85% my arse!

Personally, the most disappointing game was probably Deus Ex 2. After such a masterpiece, to then be handed a turd sandwich was heartbreaking. I couldn't even bear to finish it.

16. karolis

karolis Code Monkey

Stalker, NFS:pro Street and Crysis. There were games that disappointed me a bit, but i still love them for some reason.
    Stalker was just quite.. umm what's the word? unimpressive. every little bit of interesting stuff was released in 'developer logs' long before the game showed up.
    Crysis - what else to say, CardJoe pointed it out very well.
    Pro Street - i just loved Carbon. everything from cars to the city to that dark atmosphere was just unbelievable. When Pro Street came along, i just couldn't believe it. NFS series are good arcade driving games. they are _fun_ . they are supposed to be _fun_. i didn't get NFS to play some lame try of a sim. That's the most disappointing game EVER (to me at least)

Some of the likeable ones, yet a bit disappointing are Bioshock - for the first half it was great. awesome. that classy retro look and feel, the storyline was interesting, but it may have been a little too long. I like single player games a lot. I'm completely no good for multiplayer, frankly, i suck at them. i like taking my time going through the game. But this was just a little too long..
    Another game falling to this group is GRAW2. the concept behind the first game was great. i loved it. everything about it. It felt so nice having that little edge of intel against enemies. When the sequel came along, i bought it straight away. I expected something new, i mean, the sequel came a year later, sure they had something new, right? but no. new units, new maps, new interface - same storyline. and that mey be good. i just expected a lot more.

17. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Hellgate: London, although now it's been patched it's a bit better. It's supposed to be like diablo, but it's just like an online singleplayer game.

Arma - shocking how bad this is. I was a huge OFP fanatic, but this... I mean there was poor grammer and spelling throughout the campaign for gods sake. Some of the missions were ludicrous. A private soldier being given 4 charges of C4, two LAWs and nightvision, dropped off on his own behind enemy lines at night. Yes, if he was special ops maybe, but he wasn't, he was just a rookie regular.

C&C3: Kane's Wrath is disappointing because there are a lot of game breaking bugs in it but they have not been fixed yet, apparently the dev team are too busy working on the xbox 360 version! Compare this to team fortress 2, they brought out a new addition yesterday, there was a bug where you could unlock all the weapons from the console and they fixed it the same day.

18. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

ah carbon was awful absoulute tripe

19. ChriX

ChriX ^

C&C Generals
    C&C3 though not to the same extent
    NFS Carbon
    NFS ProStreet (more than Carbon)
    GTA3
    GTA:SA
    Unreal Tournament 3 - seems to have lost the feel of GOTY, which I think 2k3 and 2k4 managed to keep.
    Forza 2

I'm sure there's more, but they haven't stayed installed long enough to remember.

20. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I dunno, I rather enjoyed Stalker. Not for the great gameplay, just for the unbelievable atmosphere the game had. I absolutely lapped it up, I just adored the whole feel and look of the game, everything about it was such a coherient set of feelings.

True it was full of game breaking bugs (like target NPCs wandering around bits of the map you couldn't get to) and a crap ending, but the first two thirds of the game more than made up for it. And I didn't see the twist coming at all, so it was like :jawdrop:. I probably could have worked it out, but I enjoy not thinking about it too hard.