1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Radiohead dumps digital distribution

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 May 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. alastor

alastor Minimodder

:eyebrow:

Anyway, I think more and more bands will be releasing material like this for a while at least.

3. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I bought the NIN digital album, simply because the distribution model was exactly as it should be. I haven't even listened to it properly yet, there are plenty of other bands I would much rather give money to, and I will as soon as they duplicate what NIN started.

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

NIN model was perfect! I salute them.

5. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Agree about NIN - my CD turned up last week :D

6. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

my way of doing it: bittorrent the album when I first hear of it or when it comes out then wait till I've got some spare cash and head down to a store and pick up the CD, though I will pay a premium if the album has a dvd with it (last cd/dvd I got was deftones b-sides and rarities ~$40 NZ compared to the normal $25 for new releases)

7. scarrmrcc

scarrmrcc What's a Dremel?

i was really happy with Trent's distribution of his CD
    (not sure why you said that he was the drummer though....)

you had so many options, from free, to good deals, to HOLY CRAP THAT IS ONE EXPENSIVE VERSION!!!!eleventyone!!!1

you could get what you wanted to pay for (i bought the 2 disk set + download, got it 2 weeks ago), and since is his own record label, it was less cost for us,and more profit for him.

good for him, great for us.

8. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

I agree with you folks about NiN's sales model. Perfect way to spread your music. I would argue that a lot of people forget about how much giveaways increase concert attendance.. certainly a great source of revenue for the band. For example, didn't Prince sell out a bazillion concerts in a row in London a year or two ago?

9. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

NIN is the future of music distribution, PERIOD. I think Radiohead should be applauded for being one of the first and few to ditch the label and try something new, but would be fools not to improve on it though. Their attempt was a noble one if not flawed, but it got people thinking and out of industry apathy..

I happily, happily paid $5 for FLAC encoded music from NIN, and I would easily do so for other bands I like as well. I think we can all agree that true music fans would easily pay it as well. There will always be the pirates, but if all music were distributed this way piracy would be minimized because you give us almost no reason to get it for free when you could get it legal and high quality for cheap.

Right now you can buy a DRM infested CD because the RIAA thinks you will pirate it, so you are a thief if you download for free or buy a real copy. For most of us now have no problem just being an actual thief until the industry actually pulls their heads out of their collective ***es and listens to their customers. But I think now it is too late, people like Trent Reznor will become the final silver bullet to end the ancient CD business once and for all and give power back to the consumers.

10. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

I don't buy or dowload any digital music as a rule.

Any songs I want I normally get on Vinyl.

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

that was sold out very fast.....

12. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Surely that's a market that hasn't been used by the music industry for a couple of decades now? I don't know, I never go to music stores, but I also haven't ever even heard vinyl in RL. Just out of curiousity, why do you prefer it?

13. Max Thrax

Max Thrax What's a Dremel?

Drummer Trent Reznor? That's the one thing he doesn't do. The NIN sales model works...convenience and price, a lot of it for the same reason online shopping is increasing. The tiered approach is perfect and the high end, pricey collectibles subsidize the free downloads and the overall cost.

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    What a surprise...

15. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

If I recall correctly

it's actually used all the time. Many DJ's still use them a lot ..and you can still find them in certain music stores last time I was in Newbury Comics.

16. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Trent reznor isnt the Drummer for NiN, jesus.

17. Rum&Coke

Rum&Coke What's a Dremel?

Critically speaking, the free In Rainbows give away considering it was just some medium quality mp3s. Its a step forward but that doesn't really justify it, especially when NIN released Ghosts I-IV and yesterday's release http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Slip_(album) are all release multi-format including flac featuring fully tagged files including lyrics and art for all tracks, not forgetting individual tracks for re-mixing.

Tags: Add Tags