1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Matt Damon wanted Myst-like Bourne Game

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 May 2008.

1. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I think you missed the boat entirely. I agree with Joe. And your disgreeing arguement is ammo enough to support the point Joe was making. It's hypocritical to think the same kids who could get ahold of an M rated game won't get into an R-Rated movie. You can't draw your arguement at "quite possibly be". They aren't plain and simple. You don't see GTA IV or God of War marketed to the children do you? Unless images of ingame play are enough to warrent the wow factor a child will get out of the commercial as advertisement to them specifically, I'm sure Matt Daemon's leaping through a window from the rooftop in the Bourne Ultimatum's trailer has the same effect on a youngster.

2. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

i really could care less whether Matt thinks violence should or shouldn't be in a movie-based videogame of his.. it's a parent's job to educate and monitor their children's entertainment ... that aside, I agree with many of you that a non-violent game like that sounds nifty ... especially a splinter-cell esque sneaky-sneak game where he has to venture around to find out clues about his past.... I think we could all get behind a game like that :) ..sadly it will not be so :-/

3. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Ha! Laughing at the argument I've started here...

Yes indeed I did take it the wrong way and I apologise, sorry Joe, and sorry to all of bit-tech. I won't do it again. *slaps himself on the wrist*

Edit:

What I thought dearest Joe old buddy old pal meant, was that MD is a muppet for be anti a game that might sell because he wouldn't get equivalent royalties to a film from a game, so thereby declaring he would want it as a myst game, it wouldn't sell anyway and therefore no-one would get any royalties...

Last edited: 1 May 2008
  4. julianmartin

Firstly, the amount of times I have tried to make criticism of dearest Joe ole buddy ole pal's writing before is numerous and it never gets noticed or I have decided I can't really be bothered. And you wonder why I was a bit slapdash with typing and a bit hasty to respond when so many people get responses like this on this forum, hardly ****ing text typing was it? UGH!

Plus, if you are going to have the audacity, and even gall to have a go at my punctuation/grammar and so on, at least have the courtesy to spell properly too, else you haven't even half a leg to stand on bud, let alone two.

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I've never received any email or anything or seen anything in the past, but no biggie. It's all cool.

6. The Chugnut

The Chugnut What's a Dremel?

Biased (apparently) CardJoe with his own opinions at bit-tech - or everywhere else with "Yes Men" journalists who's opinions can be bought and sold? I know where I'm staying.

Last edited: 1 May 2008
  7. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I have to admit there are a few (very few) times where I find Joes final comments in an article to be slightly off, but then I figure it's to provoke discussion in the forums. It's obviously his opinion, and doesn't take any of the facts stated away from the article. In the end, I'd rather the writers at bit had their opinions stated, it makes a generic news item more interesting to read, and sometimes gives you another perspective.

I pretty much agree with Faulk_Wulf's defense, keep up the good work bit :)

8. ToMMo

ToMMo What's a Dremel?

To be honest, they should make it a comedy... just search for Jimmy Kimmel I'm f*****g Matt Damon on youtube ;)

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I don't think it does either. It doesn't seem to me like he's saying violence in films is fine but not in games. What I get from that quote is that he doesn't agree that there should be so much violence in something that a minor can get their hands on so easily.

If I remember right, the age ratings on films in America are just like ours, you have to be of the stated age (or over) to legally watch/buy the film. However, the games are just recommended ages, a baby can still technically go into a store and buy GTAIV.

10. koola

koola Minimodder

haha :hehe:

11. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I for one am not all that into FPS games, more of RPG or RTS fan. But as someone pointed out earlier, it doesn't make sense to make an FPS based on the Bourne movies. Seriously, Jason Bourne didn't do all that much killing. What would the game plot be? Bourne is dropped into a den of baddies and he must shoot every single one to get out alive?

If I were Matt Damon, I wouldn't want my likeness tied to a game that really doesn't follow the flow of the movies either. Especially considering the success the franchise has had so far that spawning additional movies might be a possibility. I also agree that a more puzzle related/find clues type of game is a much better follow up to the movies. Some violence necessary, but not just the same old run around and shoot people crap.

12. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

The game isn't actually an FPS, is a third person action game with different camera angles, and lots of emphasis on hand to hand combat as well as using the enviroment in combat.

13. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Aye, it looks to be more of a Splinter Cell clone than anything else, which is never a bad thing.

15. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

aanken, very interesting link. I think this is the first time bit-tech's noremally very reputable reporting has gone awry. Joe, rethink on the article perhaps? I know it's old hat now but still, it should be corrected really.

then again, who's to say the article on quartertothree.com is right? they too are on the end of the 'telephone'

16. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Oops... my bad about calling it an FPS game. Didn't do my homework on that one. :duh:

17. julianmartin

I think the article on quartertothree.com sums up my opinion and investigates the poor reporting very well. Reporting with assumptions...the bane of this world :rolleyes:

18. Rebourne

Rebourne What's a Dremel?

Fair enough, I would have rather seen it be a good puzzle game too, they are really underated. Would be pretty hard to take the action and violence out of this sort of story though.

Tags: Add Tags