1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Cooling idea

Discussion in 'Modding' started by chaos theory, 3 May 2008.

1. chaos theory

chaos theory What's a Dremel?

Hi,
    This is an idea i had.

Drawing:
    [​IMG]
    AS you can see, its a peltier element between two heatsinks with fans, one cools the hot side of the peltier and the other blows air through the cold heatsink into the case.
    Does anyone know if this will work??
    Or is it a bad idea??

-CT

2. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

You can buy such a system, I think bit did a review some years back, but can't remember...

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/pac400/

People seemed to be split whether it was worth it, and your impliement might well be better. I guess you need to worry about bringing to PC temps down below dew point and your electricity bill will go through the roof.

It does work though, and it'd bring all your components down a degree or two.

3. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

I maybe wrong but would you not have a possible issue with condensation?

also a heatsink and fan may not be up to cooling some peltiers.

4. chaos theory

chaos theory What's a Dremel?

now that i think of it, you're probably right, i don't think my components will like being sprayed with water.

-CT

5. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

It's a good idea to have cool air coming the case, but you'd need way better cooling on the hot side to get that cold side cool, such as water cooling. A setup such as your pic might only cool inlet air by 1 or 2c. You don't want three fans on the cool side either, one is better. A basic water cooled setup would probably take off at least 5 c. The thing with this is, if you are gonna be using water, you'd get better temps just using the water to cool the cpu & gpu & whatever else, no peltier req.

Another more expensive option which would get even better temps, is if you use peltiers to cool the cpu and gpu directly, and water to cool the peltiers and anything else you wanna cool down.

If you really just wanna use air & peltiers, no water, then you're gonna need to have a custom made, say at least double that size of heatpipe & fan setup in your pic, on the hot side of the peltier, and just the single heatsink with single fan on the cold side. This might take a few degrees from your inlet air temp.

Keep in mind that dropping inlet air temp by 5c, will drop the temps of everything in the case by 5c at the very most!