1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 360 & plasma tv

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by heir flick, 5 May 2008.

1. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

i have a SAMSUNG PS50Q97HDX tv with a xbox 360, last night i was playing need for speed most wanted, after about an hour i turned the 360 off and while the screen was black i noticed i could still see a shadow of the speedo in the bottom left of the screen and after a quick panic attack i turned the screen white using the anti screen burn in the tv settings and left it for 10 min, this seemed to do the trick as it was now gone, i have had a look around the net at tv forums and others have had this with there samsung plasmas but have said what looks to be screen burn soon disappears on its own, but must admit it does not sit easy on my mind and would like to ask if any of you have samsung plasma and what are your experience with gaming consoles

2. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

I have the same TV. Have noticed similar things with both the Sky+ box (if you leave it on the menu system for a while) and also with my PS3. Its a *feature* of plasma's Im afraid. Technically its a mild form of burn in, but no way near as severe as it used to be for older plasma screens. You can correct it like you did, or with heavily moving images for a while. I just put the TV back on, and in a few mins... the images fade away.

Not ideal, but the TV was a bargain to be honest. Paid about £800 for a 50inch plasma at 1080i/720p. Great picture for normal TV/Sky and upscaled DVD's plus PS3.

3. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Yer don't worry about it, it happens on plasmas.

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah that's the problem with plasmas, that's the reason you don't get plasma monitors.

5. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

That's why LCD monitors rock :p

Also due to the fact that plasmas are rather fragile last I heard.. you don't really wanna jiggle them when they'reon

6. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

have been wondering why they never released plasma monitors

7. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I've had it on my 42" plasma (Philips) as well, disappears after sticking a DVD or TV program on (haven't figured out if it's got a anti burn-in option yet, there's nothing in the menu).

8. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I heard you can't turn a plasma upside down, or they leak.... or something...

9. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Yeah... you should always try and keep them upright if they have to be moved :idea:

10. koola

koola Minimodder

Any phosphor-based screen can suffer from burn-in, which includes Plasma, LCD (except LCoS and DLP) and CRT. It's caused by uneven wear of phosphors in the display.

Just to clarify, they BOTH suffer burn-in issues.

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I thought LCDs weren't phosphor based at all?

12. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

My old CRT used to have a permanently visible start button :p

13. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

True, just look at your local hole-in-the-wall and you can usually see the outline of the main screen.

14. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

My El-cheapo Rebranded Hitachi LCD gets this occasionally on the Sky Menu if it's left on for too long, so it definitely happens on (some) LCD's too.

15. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

thanks for the replys guys, didnt want to carry on gaming on it if it buggers up the screen, watching a film with a cod4 map in the corner of the screen would spoil the enjoyment slightly

16. koola

koola Minimodder

Not all are, but most still use this tech as it's cheap and fairly reliable plus the manufacturers always stick a MTF on them so they are covered.

This issue is what screen savers are for ;)

17. ChriX

ChriX ^

From what I've read, you need to abuse the newer plasmas really bad to actually get something to burn in - i.e. hours and hours of static stuff. It seems the stuff you might see out of normal use is just called image retention and perfectly normal and will disappear, but again some screens better than others. I really prefer plasmas as (at least to my eyes) blacks, colours and SD performance seem superior - obviously only if you're going large enough otherwise there's no choice.

Apparently the resistance to retention/burn-in improves after the initial run in period as well.

I did far too much reading as bought a TV recently. :)

18. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

If your screen has a display profile for video games (effectively, it filters out high-contrast tones), then use that on whatever input you have your Xbox connected through. If not, create your own display profile and dampen the display contrast and brightness. Besides, Samsung doesn't produce quality plasma displays to begin with.

Not on my Pioneer display.

They're not that fragile, but it largely depends on the manufacturer; they should have a one-piece internal steel frame that is used to support its weight when wall-mounted and useful for shock absorbency. But you'll only find plasma displays in sizes 42 inches and larger, so, logically, any television set of that size is fragile.

19. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Well I meant, they're rather susceptible to shocks, tremors, and sometimes even slight movements. Least the ones I've seen were

20. koola

koola Minimodder

Then you obviously haven't bought quality.

Plasmas are no more at risk of damage than LCDs are. My Panasonic Plasma has been through a mini earthquake, a small drop when wall mounting it and it's still alive and kicking. There're really no massive differences between them only that Plasmas offer superior colour definition over an LCD equivalent.

Tags: